Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan, you had to get me started on Nun and confessional stories!

Sister N-------, wow! There was a mean little person in a 5' tall, maybe 80 pound frame. I have a scar on my right index finger knuckle which is still visible 60 odd years after being hit with one of those steel edged rulers. I am lucky I did not lose a finger. A buddy, Joe, helped me stop the bleeding and I had to tell my parents I fell off my bike because if I had told the truth, there would be two more beatings. This same sweet little Nun whacked by buddy Joe on the side of the head with a geography book because he was talking to the person in the next row. Joe was just straightening up from leaning over to talk when she whacked him. I can still see his glasses flying across the room and hitting the Venetian blinds. Thereafter, Joe had hearing loss in one ear. This was in the 1950's so there were no repercussions to the "hitter."

Confession could be really traumatic. My wife tells the story of when she was severely chastised by the priest for not having gone to confession for 2 months. She cried all the way home from the church and was sure she had a one way ticket to "Cinder City." In all seriousness, how much trouble could a 11 year old girl get into? I had a priest leave me in the confessional while he went to lunch! My brother was waiting for me to walk home together when I finally got out and he said, "What happened? I saw you go in and the priest came out!"

I was, however, able to solve my "confession" problem later in life while in high school. My buddies and I would go to an Italian church a couple of towns away for two reasons: a. the priests in our parish knew us very well, who we hung out with and who we dated, and b. the priest in the Italian church was about 80 years old and very hard of hearing. One could confess everything and Father G--------- only knew one was finished when he or she quit talking. You could have confessed to the Kennedy assassination and he would not even have blinked an eye. He would just assign a minimal penance and we were on our way to "go and sin some more."

And you are right, the guilt that we carried around as 13 and 14 year olds had to have some effect on us. Some of the things they taught us and told us, looking back now, were despicable.

Last edited:
Rocky, I am sorry you had such a bad experience. It is indeed despicable that your teachers and parents, who were supposed to nurture you, mistreated you. Funny to think that a large fraction of people at the time thought (as seemingly every generation does) that "kids are so coddled these days."

Rocky, I am sorry you had such a bad experience. It is indeed despicable that your teachers and parents, who were supposed to nurture you, mistreated you. Funny to think that a large fraction of people at the time thought (as seemingly every generation does) that "kids are so coddled these days."

Paul, I never really felt mistreated. I probably was punished when I did not deserve it but I more than likely got away with more than that for which I was punished. To me, it was just a part of life and growing up at the time. Yes, there was a lot of corporal punishment in schools and at home, but I don't think there are any lasting emotional scars (although I still have the physical scar on my finger!). My parents, teachers and clergy gave me what I consider a great foundation for my development and education and enabled me to form my own opinions and beliefs based on experience, observation and logic.

Up close and personal with a big coyote.
08189DFC-B0FA-455D-A156-56C6462B01AC.jpg

I head to work early and get in usually by 6:30AM. This mornings commute was a little fun. Had a large trophy bull elk come trotting across the road about 10 seconds in front of my S2000 only about a mile from the house. I coud not believe how big he was and how much taller he was than me in my sport coupe. Sure glad we didn't come any closer to each other…..

bull-elk-stops-traffic-to-cross-road-in-rmn-park-7.8.11.jpg

Was forced to bottle 2 gal of my Pinot Grigio cuz I needed the 5 gal glass for another project and only had an empty 3 gal carboy free. But was planning to bottle this next month

image.jpg

Last edited:
Was forced to bottle 2 gal of my Pinot Grigio cuz I needed the 5 gal glass for another project and only had an empty 3 gal carboy free. But was planning to bottle this next month

Looks pretty good and thanks for the idea! I never thought I'd bottling enough to just downsize!

Yea you really can't tell how clear it is with the frosted bottles but it passed the light test. And I usually won't bottle for a year but since I needed the carboy I thought what the heck and am able to wait a year to bottle the rest now

Our yearly pre-visit by Santa. Using the firetrucks since diesel is cheaper than reindeer food this year.

Actually I could tell Santa was making the rounds around the lake, when I came home from dropping the oldest daughter off (so she could be an athletic supporter) all the younger kids were at the end of their driveways, most still in jammies.

Really nice what the fire company does for the kids. Santa ends up back there and they have a little shin-dig for the kids.

11-28-11_santa.jpg

Floored the never-ending bath project yesterday. Was bent double and could not straighten up afterward. Oh my back! But will be back at it this afternoon...

Latest posts

Back