pear wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a pear wine 5 days ago. I've stirred it every day but the pears do not appear to be breaking down. Does it take more time for pears than say for apples?

Did you freeze the pears first? If not you may have a problem getting them to break down, especially if they were not completely ripe.

BOB

how small or big were the slices of pears? it's a little late for this now but the last time I did pear I ran them through a hand grinder, made kinda like a pear sauce inside a press bag. this worked well for not having an actual press.

Please post up your recipe and what you have done so far, it is very hard to give you some sound advice on what to do without knowing what you have already done. And as Duster had stated, how big were the pears?

Dwarf pears, cut in quarters and frozen, yes petic enzyme was added.

I started to blend them but dent want the seeds blended. I didn't take all the seeds out.

Did you add K-meta? If so how much time elapsed between the Pectic and K-meta?

OK,

They are breaking down. Just slowly. I started pulling out pieces and cutting them up. That lasted long enough for me to take a chunk out.

Some were not as ripe as others,some were knocked off the tree during a storm.

I'll watch it a few more days. May help it along by cutting more up, once my finger quits throbbing.

OK I misread my starting date, it was not started until the 21st. So today is now 5 days. And they are breaking down. Its just taking some time.

We have only done one batch of Pear wine and I removed all of the seeds and put them in the blender with pectic enzyme then froze the fruit it turned out quite nice and the pears turned to dust.
This I think made the wine take a little longer to clear but I think that the skins all pulverized gave the wine a nice earthy taste.

did you put them in a bag? if so lightly squeeze them a couple times a day.

Good luck :]

`~`~`~`~`~`send some pics if available ... ev1 likes pics `~`~`~`~`~`

good luck with your wine. I made some last year and it was the most requested wine by my friends, I gave away my last bottle unknowingly and can't wait for more pears. BTW i ground up the pears seeds and all and it was fine. This year I'm trying my new grinder i built, I think the seeds added a little excess protein that didn't clear up real well.

good luck with your wine. I made some last year and it was the most requested wine by my friends, I gave away my last bottle unknowingly and can't wait for more pears. BTW i ground up the pears seeds and all and it was fine. This year I'm trying my new grinder i built, I think the seeds added a little excess protein that didn't clear up real well.

Thanks, I actually racked off what juice I could and there was enough pear left to start another batch.

Right now I have 2 5 gal carboys full of juice and bits of pear, and a primary full of pears and the are now breaking down nicely.

I tasted the wine the other day and its real nice, a little sweet but I'll be able to fix that once the other ferments to dry.

I plan on mixing all 3 batches and that should give me a real nice pear wine.

This is actually my 3rd pear. The first was a kit off amazon for 42.00, the second was actually a juice from vinters?

This is my 1st pear wine from pears. If it finishes out as nice as it tastes now I'll be happy.

Anyone else do pear wine? Mine is dark, the vinters juice I did almost looks like white grape. This is almost as dark as motor oil. I'm sure some of it is sediment but not much,, I ran the whole batch through a 20 micron filter yesterday.

Cant wait to start mine. seems it's that time of year. Hopefully gonna make a few gallons with what we got.

Latest posts

Back