Pear wine ideas - Please!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pear trees have gone crazy this year and I need to take advantage of the harvest. (On the other hand, my apples are pathetic - no wine this year.)

What I have so far:
3 gallon basic pear - 2 1/2 gallon pear with1 gallon water, in secondary now.
3 gallon pear - 2 1/2 gallon pear with 1 gallon water, some brown sugar and ginger, in secondary now.
3 gallon dessert pear, starting on Sunday, same ratios of pear and water (probably), step feed, star anise in secondary.

My dilemma - my Bosc pears haven't started releasing yet. Far from it, hard as a rock. I REALLY need some ideas. I think I covered the obvious. I could do variations of the first three but I'd really like something else. If it helps my freezers have raspberries, mulberries, blackberries, lavender, ground cherries, lychee tomatoes, and I'm adding an assortment of peppers.

Who knows what next year's harvest will be like? I'm prepared and willing to go crazy this year. Help! Ideas!

Oh, unusual ideas are always appreciated!

Dave you really have jumped into this! How about cardamom? Here’s an interesting “pear-ing” chart I found online… Fruit Flavor Pairing Chart
Last year (my first year wine making) I only had enough pears for 2 gallons, late frost was devestating. This year an over abundance and I'm going to take advantage of it. Don't know what I'll have next year.

I've been experimenting with flavors and have done dutch chocolate, star anise, ground coffee, and black peppercorns so far. Many more to go. As with everything else in wine making, it's a slow going process.

Love the chart! Saved a copy AND bookmarked. I think it will be a big help with more than just wine. THANK YOU!

@David Violante Nice chart! I'm going to bookmark that.

@BigDaveK Last year I made an apple-pear cider that was really good. You could combine your pears with some grocery store apple juice and make cider. Or you could make straight perry (pear cider).

An idea on my list is to pear-peppermint wine. That would be refreshing on a hot summer day. I might try making that this season.

Pear is a fairly delicate flavor, so I wouldn't add anything that would overpower it. But a tiny amount of cloves might be nice. You could also use pear as a base for some other flavor, in which case the pear would be in the background.

I have done a few variations on pear wine. In the early years I added a number of other fruits and the occasional herb/ spice to the primary such as cardamom. Two years ago I got bored and back blendEd my finished pear with a Sangiovese that I had made some years earlier. This resultant Rose' certainly tasted wonderfuL. The pear carried the wine and the Sangiovese added the highlight. (6% Sangiovese addition). however earlier this year ( I’m in the Southern Hemisphere and harvest in February) I decided to keep it neutral and just stayed with the pears that I harvested off my trees in February. However to increase the Brix I used brown sugar to help produce a slightly more robust finish. I Only bottled the pear wine two months ago - so can’t really comment on its final profile. I like the idea of peppermint. Would you use some fresh or dry mint or an extract. Cheers

I have done a few variations on pear wine. In the early years I added a number of other fruits and the occasional herb/ spice to the primary such as cardamom. Two years ago I got bored and back blendEd my finished pear with a Sangiovese that I had made some years earlier. This resultant Rose' certainly tasted wonderfuL. The pear carried the wine and the Sangiovese added the highlight. (6% Sangiovese addition). however earlier this year ( I’m in the Southern Hemisphere and harvest in February) I decided to keep it neutral and just stayed with the pears that I harvested off my trees in February. However to increase the Brix I used brown sugar to help produce a slightly more robust finish. I Only bottled the pear wine two months ago - so can’t really comment on its final profile. I like the idea of peppermint. Would you use some fresh or dry mint or an extract. Cheers
Thanks for the ideas!
I suspect some blending might be in order when everything is done.
Mint is possible. I still have some outside that hasn't flowered. Been harvesting, vac seal and freezing. I put some in the dehydrator but it seems to me if I can smell it it must be losing something.

@David Violante Nice chart! I'm going to bookmark that.

@BigDaveK Last year I made an apple-pear cider that was really good. You could combine your pears with some grocery store apple juice and make cider. Or you could make straight perry (pear cider).

An idea on my list is to pear-peppermint wine. That would be refreshing on a hot summer day. I might try making that this season.

Pear is a fairly delicate flavor, so I wouldn't add anything that would overpower it. But a tiny amount of cloves might be nice. You could also use pear as a base for some other flavor, in which case the pear would be in the background.
I agree pear is on the delicate side. My 3 gallon carboys only have 1 gallon of water so hopefully the flavor will be more robust. All pear is certainly a possibility.

I like the idea of mint and I REALLY like the idea of cloves. I'm trying to avoid 1 gallon batches because I'm getting short on jugs - I only have 30. :rolleyes: But I have four 3-gallon carboys begging to be filled.

I add oak chips to the secondary. It adds a nice complexity to the pear wine.

BTW, the best way to dry mint is to tie the mint sprigs together in bunches and hang them up to dry in a cool dark place. I put the bunches 3 to a hanger and hang them up somewhere. I think that I lose less flavor that way vs. using a dehydrator.

I just remembered that some years ago I added Citra hops after initial fermentation ( much like dry hopping a beer ) . The hop I used added a distinctive fruit salad / citrus aroma and slight tang just like an APA. Everyone enjoyed the balanced taste and aroma - everyone except domestic control. My fault entirely. I should never have told the wife that I had dry hopped it. So if you use a couple of hops (don’t over do it), don’t tell your partner that it's had beer things added !

Last edited:
I add oak chips to the secondary. It adds a nice complexity to the pear wine.

BTW, the best way to dry mint is to tie the mint sprigs together in bunches and hang them up to dry in a cool dark place. I put the bunches 3 to a hanger and hang them up somewhere. I think that I lose less flavor that way vs. using a dehydrator.
Haven't used oak chips yet. On the list. Good idea.

I dried mint and other herbs that way years ago. I remember the color and flavor being more vibrant. Don't know what I was thinking - I'll have to do that next year.

While not traditional by any sense, I made a pear/cotton candy with some of last years crop -2021. I crushed, pressed and used 100% pear juice. I added a small amount of cotton candy flavoring when I backsweetened. My wife says its the best I've ever made. Everyone who's tried it (and likes sweet wine), says it is one of the best they've had. I only made a 3 gallon batch as a test. It was bottled in July and it will all be gone by the end of this month, if not sooner 🍐

I’m really thinking pear walnut. Or pear almond. Even if it’s only a flavoring you derive somehow. Nutty flavors go good with pear.

my frozen loquats are going to be my next batch I think. A lot like the texture of pears. im thinking of flavoring with raspberry somehow.

? Humm? Dave, Do you add water to your grape wines? Why would you add water to pear, it already has a delicate flavor.

My addition would be to add a tannin source either from a bottle or with 5% crab apple.
I hear yuh.
My wine from last year used 9 lbs ripe/over ripe pears in 1 gallon. It's definitely identifiable as pear. I think using 4-5 lbs/gallon like many recipes suggest is laughable.
This year so far I think I'm better at 1/3 water and 2/3 pear. When my last tree comes online I'm going to shoot for 100% pear.
I like the crab apple idea but my crabs aren't growing much. Other years they were about the size of a quarter. This year they're smaller than a dime. VERY tart. I'll keep an eye on them.

We make 18-20 gallons of pear/year.
Pectic enzyme, citric acid and opti-white are the only additives.
Crushed and pressed.
It stands on its own.
Thanks for the input.
You have years of experience on me. I just started month #11, still exploring and learning, seeing what I like. After I settle down I may decide that simple is better.

Latest posts

Back