Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you ship the wines?

We have places here in Ohio called "Pak Mail" and they advertise that they ship "anything, anywhere." They don't ask what is in the package (why would they if they ship anything?) so I just box my stuff and take it into that store. No problem.

John T - 2010 Carmenere

Recenty John and I swapped some wine. We had the pleasure of partaking in John's 2010 Carmenre. We served this with a meal of Hot Sausage loaded with peppers and onions.

The wine was outstanding. Very full bodied, deep rich color, hint of pepper, just the right amount of oak, and very smooth and creamy tasting.

My wife upon initial smell of the wine, said she wasn't going to like it. She's not a dry red drinker. She was surprisingly wrong. She really enjoyed it as well and even had a second glass.

Thanks again John, look forward to trying the other.

Now there is a coincidence! We had JohnT's 2010 Carmenere with Manicotti, Sausage, Peppers & Onion, salad and homemade bread. It was great and just as Doug said, deep, rich color, smooth, fruity and a hint of spice. I know that JohnT makes everything from fresh fruit and I am considering trying a batch from fresh grapes. I am going to have to get this past the "War Department" because she hates fruit flies and the mess that grapes can make. I do everything in the cellar so it could lead to disagreement.

Rocky's 2011 Amarone

Guys, Thanks for the kind words. As they said, we have a bottle swap going on here. I have only had a chance to taste Rocky's Amarone last weekend. I was absolutly stunned that kit wines could be so good. The wine had great color and aroma with a superb sharp tanic structure. A distinct, almost floral component was very enjoyable as was the nice finish on the pallet. A big "thumbs up" on this one!

I plan to try ffemt128's muscadine next.

Rocky, Did you wife cook all of that? Care to share the recipe's with me? That sounded so good!

johnT.

Carmerere

Do you remember once I said, that sometimes you just get it right, when we as home winemakers and that'S what we are, sometimes we just get it right, I was fortunate enough to get one. The RockYS CARMERERE this wine in its homeland is and every day Table wine Nothing fancy about the wine. This wines at a whole different level. It was extremely well-balanced front to back, you could taste the wood and at the finish fruit and had good structure ,balance, this one is a winner and should be in a contest somewhere, just let me let me know. We're going to enter it, and I won't send mine, great job. Rocky:mny

Last edited:
First Fruit wine :r Had the pleasure of tasting Joswine's raspberry wine. It was like drinking a glass of sorbet!!!! I don't know why I expected it to be really sweet but I did. I was surprised to find it was quite good :try Nice wine for sitting out on the patio on a HOT evening.

Thanks for sharing Joe

First Fruit wine :r Had the pleasure of tasting Joswine's raspberry wine. It was like drinking a glass of sorbet!!!! I don't know why I expected it to be really sweet but I did. I was surprised to find it was quite good :try Nice wine for sitting out on the patio on a HOT evening.

Thanks for sharing Joe
I had some a while back and you're right it's great.

I was hanging out with my buddy, Joeswine, today. While there I had the pleasure of tasting Rocky's Carmenere. Joe was right, this IS a great wine! I could see drinking a glass with a nice steak dinner. Rocky- you should enter this one in a contest and see what happens! :)

I saw on a few other posts under this thread that some of you guys were lucky enough to have Joe send you a bottle of his rasberry wine.. YUM. I also had that while at our South Jersey Winemaker's meeting and liked is so much he gave me a bottle to take home to share with the hubbie. We both loved it!

My latest treat that Joe gave me a bottle to sample is his coffee port. I've never had a bottle of wine from Joe that wasn't awesome so I'm looking forward to cracking this one open soon, too!

We are all lucky to have such awesome winemakers on this forum sharing their expertise with us. Keep up all the great winemaking, guys! =-)

More kudos to Joeswine and kudos to Rocky, too! :br

The bottle of coffee port from Joeswine was staring at me... had to open it up and try some tonight. It's delicious. I think it tastes like coffee, cream, and chocolate. It's also pretty smooth. Very interesting and tasty. Can't wait to see what everyone else thinks of it. =-) Thumbs up!

Thanks to all for the kind words on my wine. I truly appreciate it.

This evening, I had the consummate pleasure of a bottle of TonyT's Petit Verdot. After attending the Home and Garden Show in Columbus, we were serving a spicy crabcake dish with macaroni salad, green salad and garlic/herb bread to friends of more than 35 years and we all enjoyed the wine immensely. Tony is a true master. Thank you, TonyT.

While we're on the "we love Rocky" band wagon :). I'm a litTle perplexed by my latest wine from the Rock. We both got WineExpert's Nero D'avola and can not figure ut why mine didn't have as much body as mine. Both were aged for the same amount time. Can't figure out why there would be such a difference. :try.

His ricotta di Stephano (spelling) is awesome!!!!!!.....

Thanks to all for the kind words on my wine. I truly appreciate it.

This evening, I had the consummate pleasure of a bottle of TonyT's Petit Verdot. After attending the Home and Garden Show in Columbus, we were serving a spicy crabcake dish with macaroni salad, green salad and garlic/herb bread to friends of more than 35 years and we all enjoyed the wine immensely. Tony is a true master. Thank you, TonyT.
Thanks, Rocky. I truly believe that anyone that doesn't share and taste others' wines is missing out. The posts on" Cellar Pallet" ring true for me. I almost never buy commercial wine any more and know that I tend to construct my wines to a similar taste. So I depend on "other people's wine" to use as a barometer or benchmark. My wine could probably be sued as a benchmark for "too much oak". :r

I agree with Tony. Exchanging wine with other wine makers is a great idea. Join or start a local wine club, have meetings, exchange experiences and wine when you are able. There are some very talented people on this forum who make excellent wines.

I'll jump on the band wagon here. and comment on Julies latest Candy Cane batch. It's got the perppermint with a hint of chocolate....really good!
I'll polish this bottle off over the weekend and give her Niagara a try.
I'm looking forward to finishing my Candy cane wine now...the chocolate really takes it to a higher level....well done Julie.

So... Being the "bad egg" i am, i still havent got my Peach out the door yet (very soon! nothing left on the list in front of that chore), but i couldnt resist any longer.. And opened one of Doug's (ffemt128) bottles he sent me.

T'was the Noble Muscadine...

It's everything i wish my Blackberry-Cherry was! A lot of the same smells and flavors, but this is a grape and those.. weren't.

Color is very close to that of regular cranberry juice, gorgeous. Beautiful legs on the glass.. It's got a dark berry / dark cherry / kind-of plum aroma..

Doesnt taste hot, but the alcohol warms the chest.. Very nicely balanced, as the alcohol doesnt stand out, neither do the acidity nor the sweetness.. I cant even really tell how sweet it is, it just comes across with balance..

Nice mouthfeel, coats the tongue and cheeks.. The "grape" flavor comes through towards the finish... That dark berry/cherry flavor returns for the finish..

Very nicely done!

Was this the one you oaked?

Never had before, and will never be able to make Muscadine, here in Seattle.. But I can see what all the raving is about...

So... Being the "bad egg" i am, i still havent got my Peach out the door yet (very soon! nothing left on the list in front of that chore), but i couldnt resist any longer.. And opened one of Doug's (ffemt128) bottles he sent me.

T'was the Noble Muscadine...

It's everything i wish my Blackberry-Cherry was! A lot of the same smells and flavors, but this is a grape and those.. weren't.

Color is very close to that of regular cranberry juice, gorgeous. Beautiful legs on the glass.. It's got a dark berry / dark cherry / kind-of plum aroma..

Doesnt taste hot, but the alcohol warms the chest.. Very nicely balanced, as the alcohol doesnt stand out, neither do the acidity nor the sweetness.. I cant even really tell how sweet it is, it just comes across with balance..

Nice mouthfeel, coats the tongue and cheeks.. The "grape" flavor comes through towards the finish... That dark berry/cherry flavor returns for the finish..

Very nicely done!

Was this the one you oaked?

Never had before, and will never be able to make Muscadine, here in Seattle.. But I can see what all the raving is about...

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

If it had grapes on the label it's oaked. If not then it wasn't.

Latest posts

Back