Newb here, from Milwaukee, WI

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbeerd

Reaction score
Hey all. finally signed up for the site, i got some equipment and a WE Gewürztraminer kit coming via good ol fedex. This will be my first experience in this sort of thing but i think i can handle it pretty well.

i know i got a lot to learn but im excited as heck to get started. i've been looking at alot of the posts around here and looks like theres some great info floating around.

i was wondering tho. the instructions that come with the kits, are they pretty good, or is there a fairly consistent adjustment that could be made to make the process easier or *better* i guess.

oh.. Im Scott, from Milwaukee. <-- awaits comment as to why i'm not brewing BEER. haha. :p

im hoping to get all my stuff and get started so i can open a bottle on my birthday, which i would put it at being aged about 6mos based on what i've read here so far. my bday is at the end of august.

take care all!

Scott,

Welcome to the forum and to this fun obsession... I mean hobby. I recommend following the directions precisely with the kits. For one thing, the kit makers balance everything to work well according to their directions. For another thing, you need to develop a baseline from which to deviate with future kits. Good luck and have fun!

Ken

The Gewurztraminer is a good kit to begin with. It should be fine for your Birthday. Like Ken said , follow the directions for the first couple kits until you learn the desired process and the reasons for doing them.

Welcome and good luck.

Welcome Scott! I'm orginally from the Milwaukee area ( Delavan). I moved to Hayward a couple of years ago. I have a gewurtztraminer that is about 4 months in the bottle and it is now very good tasting so yours should be about right for your birthday. Good luck and listen to the people on this forum. They will keep you on the straight and narrow!!!

Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome. I am hoping my stuff will be here early next week and i can get started. woo! :)

hannabarn said:
Welcome Scott! I'm orginally from the Milwaukee area ( Delavan). I moved to Hayward a couple of years ago. I have a gewurtztraminer that is about 4 months in the bottle and it is now very good tasting so yours should be about right for your birthday. Good luck and listen to the people on this forum. They will keep you on the straight and narrow!!!

nice to see a fellow Wisconsinite (is that what we're called??) on the board!

i was happy to find this forum, i came across another forum, which was beer/wine forum. but this one seems to be more of a wine/maybe some beer forum with alot more information.

take care!
smiley32.gif

Welcome xbeerd, just know that the time they state in the directions is only a guesstimate and to use your hydrometer. In ex., if it says to rack at a sg . (specific gravity) after 5 days then check with hydrometer after 3 and again at 5 days. Sometimes they ferment faster or slower then what they specify due to temps and other circumstances. You can do 2 of the same kits side by side and 1 can take 3 or more days longer then the other. Great to have you here and hope you stay. Ask any questions you feel unsure about or just to dble check what you believe is right.

And yes, that makes you a Wisconsinite! Wisconsin. The only state with sin as part of it's name! It's a great place to be! I grew up in Oconomowoc. I'm currently trapped on the frozen tundra, trying to move a bit southward. **Princess doesn't really see that happening, but a princess can always hope.**

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Wade, nice tip on the hydrometer. i was thinking about that, and how its always mentioned how temperature has a decently sized part of the process. according to Fedex, my stuff should be here tomorrow. woohoo! Might get to start this saturday!
smiley32.gif

Welcome Scott. I'm in Janesville, just a little south of you. This forum is full of great info and people. Always good to have another Wisconsinite!

Welcome xbeerd....This is a fun hobby and can get a little addicting......Wades advice on the hydrometer and time line thing is one of the first things to know.....Good luck and have fun..
smiley20.gif

Bert said:
Welcome xbeerd....This is a fun hobby and can get a little addicting......Wades advice on the hydrometer and time line thing is one of the first things to know.....Good luck and have fun..
smiley20.gif

thanks guys, my stuff's out for delivery at the moment! hopefully i dont get stuck at work TOOOO late today :)

moto-girl said:
Welcome Scott. I'm in Janesville, just a little south of you. This forum is full of great info and people. Always good to have another Wisconsinite!

Go Wisconsin!
smiley17.gif

Got my stuff yesterday, all looks good, 'CEPT... i ppted to get a "better bottle" vs the glass one because of weight.. and they forgot to include a #10 stopper, i got the #6.
smiley5.gif
oh well. i'll just email and have a 10 sent out or i might just get one locally if i have time.

Welcome Scott!
Keep asking questions and we'll all learn with you. BTW there is nothing wrong with being from WI no matter what they say...
smiley16.gif
!

Latest posts

Back