Newb here, from Milwaukee, WI

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack on Rainy said:
Welcome Scott!
Keep asking questions and we'll all learn with you. BTW there is nothing wrong with being from WI no matter what they say...
smiley16.gif
!

OK! here's a question! im to the point where i add the yeast. however, i believe my *cocktail* is probably under 65 degrees, i was thinking i should wait a bit to add the yeast untill it gets closer to room temperature (which is 70 in my house)

can the yeast be added to the cooler liquid and still work? i know it can and will just take longer at a lower temp, but i dont wanna add it to something thats TOO cold!

QUOTE=Jack on Rainy]

Welcome Scott!
Keep asking questions and we'll all learn with you. BTW there is nothing wrong with being from WI no matter what they say...
smiley16.gif
![/QUOTE]
smiley21.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley2.gif

It won't hurt it. Once it gets warm enough it will start working. Some folks rehydrate and make a starter so they can see activity and then pitch it in. In gnereal though you just pitch it on top like the directions say and it will take off once temps get high enough to activate it.

appleman said:
It won't hurt it. Once it gets warm enough it will start working. Some folks rehydrate and make a starter so they can see activity and then pitch it in. In gnereal though you just pitch it on top like the directions say and it will take off once temps get high enough to activate it.

cool, thanks, its at 60 degrees F currently, so it should get up to room temp soon.

Welcome XBeerd, enjoy the process and the finished product.

The instructions are to be followed to a "T". I have made probably 7 kits since Sep and all of them have turned out.
The instructions, when followed, usually give you a wonderful product at the end state.

uavwmn said:
Welcome XBeerd, enjoy the process and the finished product.

The instructions are to be followed to a "T". I have made probably 7 kits since Sep and all of them have turned out.
The instructions, when followed, usually give you a wonderful product at the end state.

thanks! i've actually created a log file in Excel so i can track my process/progress with the kit, along with some reminders to pop up in my Outlook/blackberry to keep things on track.

other than terminology i think everything is going good so far. i've ordered a few items that werent included in *basic* kits to make it easier. I think they only thing i was unsure about was if i cleaned the bucket good enough! heh. i cleaned it and sanitized as best as i could so i think i will be ok.

I am thinking of getting a red to do after i bottle up the gewurstraminer, i like the pinot's etc anyone have a good kit in mind along those lines?

If you like the Pinots, the Mosti All Juice Pinot Noir turned out excellent for me. Actually that is what I have had for my evening glass of wine the last two nights-delicious!

appleman said:
If you like the Pinots, the Mosti All Juice Pinot Noir turned out excellent for me. Actually that is what I have had for my evening glass of wine the last two nights-delicious!

i'll have to keep that in mind when payday comes around. Thanks!!

oh.. and regarding my above post about recieving the wrong size bung..

my correct size #10 bung was delivered today, after being requested on SATURDAY, now thats pretty decent shipping!

Latest posts

Back