Legal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I read somewhere on this forum about someone getting fined for selling wine and it gave the amount of money he was fined. Seems like it was $20,000. I told a friend about the article and he did not believe me, and that's okay, but I sure would like to find it and show it to him. Does anyone remember where it was?
Thanks
Semper Fi

I don't remember anything about it, but I'll respond so your thread will go back to the top again for others to notice.

I do know one definitely cannot sell any form of alcoholic beverage without proper license.

Last edited:
Do not sell it. I can promise you, the fines are ridiculous and you would probably get a lesser sentence from selling drugs. It is very bad because about anyone can make alcohol, so selling it without the proper license is extremely illegal. It took us over 6 months to get a license and a year to get going (buildings, inspections, etc).

actually i think everyone is missing the point of the post....lol...he was just talking about an article he read sometime about it the fines associated with such an act and was wondering if by chance anyone had a link to it, not that he was curious about doing such a thing....lol..

I remember reading that here, but don't recall which forum it was in.

I remember that thread as well. I think some of the mods got a little nervous talking about illegal activity and the thread content changed. There is nothing wrong with asking about illegal activity. That is how one educates themselves on what is illegal and what is legal. Knowledge is power.You can talk (or type) about illegal activity all day long and no "G-Man" is going to show up on your door step with a warrant and handcuffs. Only when one takes physical steps in carrying out an illegal act becomes time for concern.

I remember that thread as well. I think some of the mods got a little nervous talking about illegal activity and the thread content changed. There is nothing wrong with asking about illegal activity. That is how one educates themselves on what is illegal and what is legal. Knowledge is power.You can talk (or type) about illegal activity all day long and no "G-Man" is going to show up on your door step with a warrant and handcuffs. Only when one takes physical steps in carrying out an illegal act becomes time for concern.

What country do you live in?

What country do you live in?

He's in Hawaii where things are a bit relaxed. lol.

I'm guessing he hasn't seen the busts from people posting things online. I saw a video of a guy who was flying on his sport bike at 150+ mph go to jail, but he did have lots of hits.

He's in Hawaii where things are a bit relaxed. lol.

I'm guessing he hasn't seen the busts from people posting things online. I saw a video of a guy who was flying on his sport bike at 150+ mph go to jail, but he did have lots of hits.

Yea, we are a bit more relaxed here than most places. ;) But let's try and not confuse the issue. The difference between the guy on the motorcycle is that he physically took steps to break the law, then provided evidence of his physical actions online. Now if he had went online and talked (typed) that he wanted to drive his motorcycle 150+ MPH, he cannot be cited for talking about an illegal activity, in this instance. I've got over 20+ years in law enforcement and 4 years in criminal investgations. Again, I'll say its ok to ask questions about what is legal and illegal. Nothing wrong with someone educating themselves on the difference so that they may know how to abide by their laws. :i

RW,

so if I were to say "I have been selling my wine for years, and wonder if it is legal", wouldn't that provide Probable Cause?

For those "Big Brothers" out there, I have never sold a bottle in my life. I am just too scared of you to ever even think of breaking the law.

I think that there is a fine line here. One that I think is best not to approach. I live in New Jersey, where our boys in blue do not have a very developed sense of humor when it comes to breaking the law.

johnT.

What he's saying is it's OK to discuss illegal activity if there was no physical crime commited. If you commited a crime like physically selling your wine, it is not a good idea to discuss that on a public forum. However nothing to that effect has happened in this thread. No physical crime is being discussed. Sounds to me like the OP is trying to educate their friend and was looking for the information in order to do so.

Ernest T Bass said:
I read somewhere on this forum about someone getting fined for selling wine and it gave the amount of money he was fined. Seems like it was $20,000. I told a friend about the article and he did not believe me, and that's okay, but I sure would like to find it and show it to him. Does anyone remember where it was?
Thanks
Semper Fi

Oh please not this subject anymore.... Cannot stand it anymore ... Check out on any wine making book and the first thing quoted is that it's prohibited to sell any ammount of wine .... About the original post i suppose that this was the link you've been loking for

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/legal-question-32435/

Back