bulk purchase of yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Below is the list I've compiled so far. If there are any mistakes, let me know. Anyone else who wants yeast, please post your request.

So far, we have enough people to buy a brick of TR-313 and one red, either Avante or Bravo, since we have 3 folks who aren't picky.

A few folks already have bricks of yeast -- if you want to dispense some of it, please post. This goes for yeast other than Renaissance. I restricted my list to Renaissance to make this work, but am fine with others piggy-backing this list for other strains.

Whites

Allegro - Ester Producing for Aromatic Whites
VinesnBines

Bella - for Whites - Terpenic - Harsh Conditions

TR-313 - for Varietal Whites - Thiols Release

Rice_Guy
winemaker81
Chuck E
MiBor

Vivace - for Elegant, Crisp & Lively Whites

Reds

Andante / Avante - for Fruity Reds
Bmd2k1
distancerunner

Bravo - for High Glycerol Reds
winemaker81
VinesnBines

Brio - for Youthful Reds & Pinot Noir

Maestoso - for Fruity Reds with Color & Structure

Rice_Guy

===

BigDaveK -- one white and one red
David Violante -- one red
sour_grapes -- one white and one red

EDIT: -- fixed entries for CDrew and sour_grapes

Last edited:
You can take me off the 313 list. I've already have a brick on order for when its available in April. No sense shipping to NC and then shipping back to me.

@winemaker81 if you and @VinesnBines want some Bravo, I can send 50 grams and you guys can divide it up. Or, If you don't live in the same area, if you each send me a pm with your address, 25g can go in a first class envelope. I'll mail it out via snail mail. I did all Bravo last year for my reds, and had the usual Renaissance success. I'm going to use it again this year for Syrah and maybe a Zinfandel. Depends on how hot it is here at harvest and what the fruit looks like. If there is the least hint of sub optimal conditions, Avante gets the nod.

You can take me off the 313 list. I've already have a brick on order for when its available in April. No sense shipping to NC and then shipping back to me.

@winemaker81 if you and @VinesnBines want some Bravo, I can send 50 grams and you guys can divide it up. Or, If you don't live in the same area, if you each send me a pm with your address, 25g can go in a first class envelope. I'll mail it out via snail mail. I did all Bravo last year for my reds, and had the usual Renaissance success. I'm going to use it again this year for Syrah and maybe a Zinfandel. Depends on how hot it is here at harvest and what the fruit looks like. If there is the least hint of sub optimal conditions, Avante gets the nod.
You're off TR-313

Beth is off-line for a few weeks, so I'll let her know.

Thanks for the Bravo offer -- I need to review my needs. Each of my main batches will be divided in half, using Avante for one and Bravo for the other. The 3 lug blending batch may use 3 different strains (currently undecided). So I'm not sure if 25 g will be sufficient.

Correction: I am also in for one white and one red (not picky).
updated.

Given the interest so far, I'm planning to purchase 500g Bravo and 500g TR-313. I don't see enough interest in buying anything else. If that changes, I'll update my plans.

I'm searching for sources other than Lodi Labs -- price on yeast seems consistent, but S&H to me is around $15-18 USD.

Cost will be actuals, including yeast, S&H to me, packaging, and S&H to participants. At this time I'm estimating $8 USD for 50g, which is enough to inoculate 10 batches with 5g each, or 8 batches with 6g each.

Anyone interested email me your real name and address to my gmail address, which is winemaker81.

TR-313 is apparently out of stock until April. I will do shipments when I have both yeast, so I can send both red & white to folks interested in both.

I checked the Renaissance site -- they have a nice brochure for all their strains, including grape recommendations.

https://renaissanceyeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/RY-Wine_Yeast_catalogue-2022-EU.pdf
I'm also looking for retailers, as Lodi Wine Labs doesn't have either Bravo or TR-313 listed. I messaged Renaissance, asking for retailers to try. I'm going to message Lodi as well, so see what they say.

Following is the current membership list. "Have Info" means I have real name, email, and mailing address. If I have any details incorrect, let me know.

Screen NameBravoTR-313Have Info?
BigDaveKxxx
Chuck Ex
David Violantexx
MiBorxx
Rice_Guyx
sour_grapesxxx
VinesnBinesxxx
winemaker81xxx
Bmd2k1x

I have room for 1 more person for TR-313, and 4 more for Bravo.

I'll be taking payment via PayPal, Venmo, and personal check. My address and ePayment info will go out via email to subscribers.

The order(s) should be placed soon. My delivery will depend on when the yeast arrives -- according to CDrew, TR-313 comes back into stock in April, so we may be looking at 3 to 5 weeks. I'll keep everyone informed.

Last edited:
I received a response from Lodi Wine Labs -- I'm impressed, it's 9:30 AM their time. Nice to have a responsive vendor!

The TR-313 and Bravo are out of stock and as CDrew reported, it's due in about a month. They are updating their order site and suggested I place the order for both products and they'll ship as soon as they arrive.

I'm still waiting for a response from Renaissance, and am looking at other vendors, so I'm not placing an order immediately. Hopefully within a week or less.

IF Bravo won't be in stock in the next month or so, I'm considering switching to Maestro or Brio. IF I feel the need to change, I'll warn everyone and ensure everyone want to opt in.

I checked the Renaissance site -- they have a nice brochure for all their strains, including grape recommendations.

https://renaissanceyeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/RY-Wine_Yeast_catalogue-2022-EU.pdf
I'm also looking for retailers, as Lodi Wine Labs doesn't have either Bravo or TR-313 listed. I messaged Renaissance, asking for retailers to try. I'm going to message Lodi as well, so see what they say.

Following is the current membership list. "Have Info" means I have real name, email, and mailing address. If I have any details incorrect, let me know.

Screen NameBravoTR-313Have Info?
BigDaveKxxx
Chuck Ex
David Violantexx
MiBorxx
Rice_Guyx
sour_grapesxxx
VinesnBinesxxx
winemaker81xxx
Bmd2k1xxx

I have room for 1 more person for TR-313, and 4 more for Bravo.

I'll be taking payment via PayPal, Venmo, and personal check. My address and ePayment info will go out via email to subscribers.

The order(s) should be placed soon. My delivery will depend on when the yeast arrives -- according to CDrew, TR-313 comes back into stock in April, so we may be looking at 3 to 5 weeks. I'll keep everyone informed.
I'm only looking for Avante...

To round out your numbers I could take two TR 313 and use the extra as a test yeast with the vinters next order of juice buckets
I'll add you for 2. Send your mailing address and real name to my gmail account.

I'll take a TR313 if there is still room (and Rice Guy does not want two)
I misunderstood @Bmd2k1, so there's an extra slot. Ditto on sending mailing information to me.

I was at Lodi Wine Lab today as my TR-313 came in earlier than promised. So I think your east coast group can order when you want. Exp date on the package is 08/26 so I can likely get 4 vintages easily out of it. And it was more expensive than I thoughtit would be. $74.99for the 500gm brick. I bought Avante there last fall for $54.99, so either they have substantially raised the price, or the TR-313 is just more expensive. Although in the end, that's only $0.15 per gram, much cheaper than normal yeast packets.
B37619C6-7CA8-48BD-97C6-C0CF2F9DF180.jpeg

Last edited:
I was at Lodi Wine Lab today as my TR-313 came in earlier than promised. So I think your east coast group can order when you want. Exp date on the package is 08/26 so I can likely get 4 vintages easily out of it. And it was more expensive than I thoughtit would be. $74.99for the 500gm brick. I bought Avante there last fall for $54.99, so either they have substantially raised the price, or the TR-313 is just more expensive.

Thanks for the head's up!

I'm way late on posting an update. I ordered TR-313 and Bravo, which are due to arrive by the end of next week. Once I have the yeast I'll package it up and send.

Note -- Bravo is ~$50 while TR-313 is ~$75, so the cost for the white will be higher than expected.

I will confirm with the participants via email over the weekend.

I'm way late on posting an update. I ordered TR-313 and Bravo, which are due to arrive by the end of next week. Once I have the yeast I'll package it up and send.

Note -- Bravo is ~$50 while TR-313 is ~$75, so the cost for the white will be higher than expected.

I will confirm with the participants via email over the weekend.
Damn that’s expensive for yeast, then again I get some discounts because I’m a professional and have accounts with all the companies. I usually buy my yeasts for work and for the wines I make at home from Scott Labs or Laffort directly I like laffort products a lot and have been using them to good success. Average pricing for me for 500 gram bricks is $35-55 depending on yeast the only yeast I pay $75 or more for is Zymaflore Egide which is a bioprotection yeast that is $110 per 500 gram brick and amazing stuff.

Damn that’s expensive for yeast, then again I get some discounts because I’m a professional and have accounts with all the companies. I usually buy my yeasts for work and for the wines I make at home from Scott Labs or Laffort directly I like laffort products a lot and have been using them to good success. Average pricing for me for 500 gram bricks is $35-55 depending on yeast the only yeast I pay $75 or more for is Zymaflore Egide which is a bioprotection yeast that is $110 per 500 gram brick and amazing stuff.
Compared to buying by the packet, it's still comparable to mass market (Red Star, Lalvin) yeast. It makes sense for most people to buy by the packet, although a fair number of our members buy in bulk.

Additionally, we don't have a lot of other choice. I have wine to accept the things I cannot change. ;)

The yeast has arrived!

renaissance.jpg

My new vacuum sealer arrived as well!

I have family visiting, starting tomorrow through Sunday, so I probably will not get around to packaging and mailing until next week. I owe the participants an email, which I will try to get out tonight.

Latest posts

Back