bulk purchase of yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the Renaissance Andante and Bravo along with Prelude for the 2020 and 2021 seasons and I feel like something is missing in those wines when compared to the previous years' D-254/D80 fermented Cab Sauvignon. I went back to the classic combination for the 2022 season and I think this is the way to go for me. The wine seems to have way more complexity and a lot more aroma than the previous 2 years' wines.

With that being said, I would be interested in 50 grams of TR-313. I make Sauvignon Blanc each spring from Chilean juice and I wanted to try that yeast for a couple of years now, but didn't want to buy the whole brick from Gusmer. I've read good things about it and I'm hoping it will live up to the hype. Please let me know if this is a go for spring 2023, as I would like to be part of it.

One other thing to consider. I got a new brick of Avante this past fall (2022) at Lodi Wine labs. The expiration date on the package is sometime in 2027. So I'm guessing that yeast stored properly has a very long usable life.
I've read that viability of yeast is reduced by about 10% a year. I've also read of yeast being revived from archeological digs. I'm guessing the expiration date is super fuzzy.

In September 2021 I purchased 500 g of Renaissance Avante yeast from Lodi Wine Labs. Smaller amounts labeled "carboy" (6g?) and "barrel" (72g?) were ridiculously expensive when considered on a per 6g packet cost. The "barrel" was $30 including S&H, which comes out to $2.50 USD/packet. In comparison the 500 g package was $0.78/packet. I figured I'd use the yeast eventually, so I purchased the 500 g package.

I used it again last fall, and @VinesnBines used it last weekend, so storing it in the fridge is working fine. I make an overnight starter and each took off rapidly, as expected.

I have resold some of the Avante (at cost, not a money making venture), but still have about 170 g remaining. For someone who normally makes 50 to 70 US gallons (190-265 liters) per year, that's a lot of yeast. I want to try their other yeast strains, but the total quantity of multiple packages is excessive.

Speaking with @VinesnBines last weekend, she and her husband have an interest in other Renaissance yeast strains. We discussed buying the 500 g packets and dividing them up among other interested folks.

My thought is to keep it simple -- divide a 500 g packet into ten 50 g packets. I figure out the per-packet cost, plus actual S&H (mailer + postage) if I mail it.

IF we do this, it will be based upon interest -- I will only buy a 500 g package if I can immediately re-sell at least half of it. Given that grapes in the USA start to ripen in August, I expect to make any purchases in late July/early August, so folks get their yeast in time.
Yeah repackaging and sharing is the best way to deal with having too much yeast, I go through multiple 500 gram packs a year at work and with my home winemaking last year I think I used 20 packs.

Any ideas yet on pricing for 50g paks including shipping et al? In my case....to Michigan

Cheers!

Any ideas yet on pricing for 50g paks including shipping et al? In my case....to Michigan

Cheers!
I will ballpark it at about $8 USD for USA delivery. The 50 g cost for the Avante I have was about $6.50, and prices have gone up a few dollars since then. Add in US postage plus a mailer.

If you're using 6g/batch, that's about $1 each, and if 5gbatch, about $0.80.

Locally I'm paying $1.25 to $.1.60 for a 6g packet, not including gas to drive 65 miles round trip to get it.

If this works, I'll buy a 50gm TR313, or trade for 50gm of Allegro or Bravo.

BTW the Amazon Basics vacuum sealer works great, and only costs $40. We use it all the time. I have all my yeast stash stored under vacuum in the fridge just like it comes from the yeast factory.

One other thing to consider. I got a new brick of Avante this past fall (2022) at Lodi Wine labs. The expiration date on the package is sometime in 2027. So I'm guessing that yeast stored properly has a very long usable life.

Waiting for fall 2023!

View attachment 98711

@CDrew has shared his Allegro and Avante stash with me. I keep them in the fridge and have no trouble with fermentation. Those 2 varieties are my "GO TO" yeasts fro red & white. I would be willing to take some 313 if it available.

Chuck E.

I will ballpark it at about $8 USD for USA delivery. The 50 g cost for the Avante I have was about $6.50, and prices have gone up a few dollars since then. Add in US postage plus a mailer.

If you're using 6g/batch, that's about $1 each, and if 5gbatch, about $0.80.

Locally I'm paying $1.25 to $.1.60 for a 6g packet, not including gas to drive 65 miles round trip to get it.
Great! Let me know when ur yeast gig is ready to roll. Thanks ✌

Folks, it's time to get the show on the road. The plan is to distribute, at cost, Renaissance yeast in 50 g packets. The best price for these yeast is in 500 g bricks, and cost will include the the yeast, shipment of yeast to me (or anyone doing the work), and shipment to those buying in.

I'm setting the packet size at 50 g, as that's enough for 8 batches of 23 liters. Why that size? It's a reasonable number, and I'm simply not interested in measuring out 5 or 6 g packets.

There are 8 Renaissance strains -- for the strains I want (see below), if I can resell at least half, I'm willing to invest. That means at least 5 people need to take at least 250 g of it. For the strains I'm not interested in, I need at least 8 people to buy in.

My cost 2 years ago for a brick of Avante was $0.78 USD each for 6g packets. Prices are 10% higher now, and S&H from me to you adds on.

S&H is actual. This is a public service (plus self interest) and not a money making venture. I'm going to buy a vacuum sealer, so packets will be sealed. Postage in the USA is actual + mailer. Postage outside of the USA will be higher. At this time I don't know how much.

If anyone has a brick of yeast and wants to sell part off, I am absolutely fine with that. Chime in, volunteer to take on the responsibility, and go forth. I'm looking at only Renaissance yeast, but anything is fine with me.

Whites

Allegro - Ester Producing for Aromatic Whites (Bryan is interested)

Bella - for Whites - Terpenic - Harsh Conditions

TR-313 - for Varietal Whites - Thiols Release (Bryan is interested)

Vivace - for Elegant, Crisp & Lively Whites

Reds

Andante / Avante - for Fruity Reds (Bryan has some, not interested in buying more)

Bravo - for High Glycerol Reds (Bryan is interested)

Brio - for Youthful Reds & Pinot Noir

Maestoso - for Fruity Reds with Color & Structure (Bryan is interested)

Just a head's up-I just spoke to Lodi Wine Lab, who spoke to Gusmer (the distributor of Renaissance Yeasts) and the TR 313 is out of stock until April. I don't know if that alters anyone's plans, but thought I would pass on the info.
It has no effect on my plans, but it changes the purchase plan. Not a big deal from my POV, but must be considered.

I'm interested in 2x 50g Avante --- and maybe a White -- but would like to get some feedback 1st - I make Chardonnays & Viogniers currently & use D47 - which I've been very happy with. Which white strain do peeps like for those two varietals?

Latest posts

Back