bulk purchase of yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@CDrew has shared his Allegro and Avante stash with me. I keep them in the fridge and have no trouble with fermentation. Those 2 varieties are my "GO TO" yeasts fro red & white. I would be willing to take some 313 if it available.
I don't have your mailing address. If you're still interested in TR-313, email me at winemaker81, which is a gmail address.

It just occurred to me that "Which strains?" is an important question! The available Renaissance strains are:

Whites

Allegro - Ester Producing for Aromatic Whites

Bella - for Whites - Terpenic - Harsh Conditions

TR-313 - for Varietal Whites - Thiols Release

Vivace - for Elegant, Crisp & Lively Whites

Reds

Andante / Avante - for Fruity Reds

Bravo - for High Glycerol Reds

Brio - for Youthful Reds & Pinot Noir

Maestoso - for Fruity Reds with Color & Structure
Curious if anyone's used any Renaissance yeast(s) for Chardonnay &/or Viognier?

I use D47 for both currently & have been quite happy....but I'm always looking to explore 😎

Cheers!

Last edited:
Curious if anyone's used any Renaissance yeast(s) for Chardonnay &/or Viognier?

I use D47 for both currently & have been quite happy....but I'm always looking to explore 😎

Cheers!
I used allegro on a Viognier and I am happy with the results!

A note on the TR313,
this is a thiol releasing strain of yeast, therefore yesterday on my third trial with TR313 ,, I included Phantasm in the primary (a thiol rich extract from Sauv. Blanc). Am tempted to also drop the temp to 12 or 15C.

Another note on TR-313, it's very low activity. I thought the first starter I made failed, so I tossed it. Subsequent starters don't foam much, but the liquid remains opaque (solids don't settle) so it's definitely working. A batch of mead dropped 20 points per day from 1.090, so it's a hungry one.

A note on the TR313,
this is a thiol releasing strain of yeast, therefore yesterday on my third trial with TR313 ,, I included Phantasm in the primary (a thiol rich extract from Sauv. Blanc). Am tempted to also drop the temp to 12 or 15C.
I've been trying to step up my SB making process for a while now. This year I plan on experimenting with a bunch of new products. In anticipation of the 2023 California SB juice I purchased a brick of Stimula SB and a bag of FermoBent. For yeasts I've got some CellarScience Citrus and Bouquet, a little bit of Allegro and the 50g of TR-313 from @winemaker81. I plan to split my SB in 4 different ferments this fall, just to see how different combinations of these products affect taste and aroma.

I don't know much about beer brewing, but the Phantasm product seems like another tool I may be able to use in my pursuit of those elusive thiols.

@Rice_Guy please let us know how your experiment turned out. I won't have my grape juice until mid to late October, so I'd like to know before then if this "Phantasm" is worth pursuing or not. The product is available from multiple sources and doesn't seem too expensive, so I may add it to the mix if it delivers any noticeable results.

I'm also open to suggestions on how to mix-and-match the above mentioned products for making the best, most thiol-rich Sauvignon Blanc that can be made from US grown grapes.

Latest posts

Back