bulk purchase of yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In September 2021 I purchased 500 g of Renaissance Avante yeast from Lodi Wine Labs. Smaller amounts labeled "carboy" (6g?) and "barrel" (72g?) were ridiculously expensive when considered on a per 6g packet cost. The "barrel" was $30 including S&H, which comes out to $2.50 USD/packet. In comparison the 500 g package was $0.78/packet. I figured I'd use the yeast eventually, so I purchased the 500 g package.

I used it again last fall, and @VinesnBines used it last weekend, so storing it in the fridge is working fine. I make an overnight starter and each took off rapidly, as expected.

I have resold some of the Avante (at cost, not a money making venture), but still have about 170 g remaining. For someone who normally makes 50 to 70 US gallons (190-265 liters) per year, that's a lot of yeast. I want to try their other yeast strains, but the total quantity of multiple packages is excessive.

Speaking with @VinesnBines last weekend, she and her husband have an interest in other Renaissance yeast strains. We discussed buying the 500 g packets and dividing them up among other interested folks.

My thought is to keep it simple -- divide a 500 g packet into ten 50 g packets. I figure out the per-packet cost, plus actual S&H (mailer + postage) if I mail it.

IF we do this, it will be based upon interest -- I will only buy a 500 g package if I can immediately re-sell at least half of it. Given that grapes in the USA start to ripen in August, I expect to make any purchases in late July/early August, so folks get their yeast in time.

I have an interest in trying several white yeast strains, but I only make a carboy or two of whites each year, as I don't drink it much and it doesn't have as long of a shelf life. Having more than 50g wouldn't work for me.

However, if folks are onboard with this idea, if we like 6 strains and 6 different people each buy a package to subdivide, it reduces the risk on any individual. More to consider.

Just curious, because I am interetsed but are you able to cut the packages under lab conditions or are buyers likely to find some volunteer bacteria in the packs they purchase?

Just curious, because I am interetsed but are you able to cut the packages under lab conditions or are buyers likely to find some volunteer bacteria in the packs they purchase?
No and maybe. Everything is clean and sanitized, but far from laboratory conditions.

The guy who took some in 2021 raved about the yeast last October, and reported successful ferments from the 2022 grapes. All of my starters since October 2021 ignited immediately, and @VinesnBines reports success last weekend, so the storage conditions (package sealed tightly and refrigerated) are working. IIRC, @CDrew mentioned having yeast that was several years old that is fully viable.

One of my goals here is to reduce the per-person yeast quantities enough that I use up what I buy within a year or so. Red is easy, but if I buy two 50 g packets of white yeast, it will last quite a while.

It just occurred to me that "Which strains?" is an important question! The available Renaissance strains are:

Whites

Allegro - Ester Producing for Aromatic Whites

Bella - for Whites - Terpenic - Harsh Conditions

TR-313 - for Varietal Whites - Thiols Release

Vivace - for Elegant, Crisp & Lively Whites

Reds

Andante / Avante - for Fruity Reds

Bravo - for High Glycerol Reds

Brio - for Youthful Reds & Pinot Noir

Maestoso - for Fruity Reds with Color & Structure

Having worked in a micro lab, a surface which is wiped down works when combined with clean air (not in dust from the factory). ALL yeast have a specification for bacterial contamination. Cultured yeast work by overwhelming any native bacteria and yeast.
@Sourgrape i am one of the folks looking for Renaissance 313. When I did a November talk at Prairie Vinters on reductive flavor I gave out five gram packs of several of the ones available through Bosa Grape. Which ones are you wanting to try?

@Sourgrape i am one of the folks looking for Renaissance 313. When I did a November talk at Prairie Vinters on reductive flavor I gave out five gram packs of several of the ones available through Bosa Grape. Which ones are you wanting to try?

Well, it was YOUR talk at WVA that made me want to try them! :) So I dunno, I will just try whatever the hivemind comes up with.

Okay, okay, maybe I will read about them a little. I don't even know what my next batch will be. I don't even know if it will be red or white! :)

(BTW, that is the wrong user -- I am @sour_grapes .)

Our little collective here in Nor Cal does the same thing, buy in bulk and distribute. This is typically spearheaded by @4score (thank you). We use the Fermentation Calculator spreadsheet I made and put what each individual is making (and other locals that want in) and then buy all our supplies in bulk. It is always entertaining when 4Score comes around with a bunch of marked ziplock baggies before fermentation.

Picture2.jpg

It just occurred to me that "Which strains?" is an important question! The available Renaissance strains are:

Whites

Allegro - Ester Producing for Aromatic Whites

Bella - for Whites - Terpenic - Harsh Conditions

TR-313 - for Varietal Whites - Thiols Release

Vivace - for Elegant, Crisp & Lively Whites

Reds

Andante / Avante - for Fruity Reds

Bravo - for High Glycerol Reds

Brio - for Youthful Reds & Pinot Noir

Maestoso - for Fruity Reds with Color & Structure
Just an FYI, Bosagrape.com does sell 50 gm packs of all the above besides TR-313, Maestoso, and Bella. They are $12.25 Canadian (~$10). I have used Bravo, Avante, and Allegro.

I would consider trying Maestoso if that was bought. Also, would you be vacuum sealing the yeast packets?

Just an FYI, Bosagrape.com does sell 50 gm packs of all the above besides TR-313, Maestoso, and Bella. They are $12.25 Canadian (~$10). I have used Bravo, Avante, and Allegro.

I would consider trying Maestoso if that was bought. Also, would you be vacuum sealing the yeast packets?
Good to know another source.

I don't have a vacuum sealer, so no.

If this works, I'll buy a 50gm TR313, or trade for 50gm of Allegro or Bravo.

BTW the Amazon Basics vacuum sealer works great, and only costs $40. We use it all the time. I have all my yeast stash stored under vacuum in the fridge just like it comes from the yeast factory.

One other thing to consider. I got a new brick of Avante this past fall (2022) at Lodi Wine labs. The expiration date on the package is sometime in 2027. So I'm guessing that yeast stored properly has a very long usable life.

Waiting for fall 2023!

6C24F409-7B73-465D-BC19-1E350598E5CC.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm going to look into the sealer, as it's generally useful.

My plan was to get 50 g each of two different white strains. However, if I have to take double that to make it work, I'll use it up eventually.

I do still have Prelude (Torulaspora delbrueckii) still re-packaged in vacuum sealed if anyone wants any or wants to trade at some point.

I would be interested if anyone has a brick or is interested in splitting a brick of Biodiva (Torulaspora delbrueckii). I used it once combined with Bravo and Avante (seperate fermentors). It is probably the best wine I ever made.

Last edited:
Bryan, I’m in. I’m interested in reds, but maybe the white will work with an apple?
I've used a white yeast for most, if not all, light fruits. Next time I make Elderberry, I'm considering splitting the batch, using red yeast with one and white with the other, and combining post-fermentation.

I do still have Prelude (Torulaspora delbrueckii) still re-packaged in vacuum sealed if anyone wants any or wants to trade at some point.

I would be interested if anyone has a brick or is interested in splitting a prick of Biodiva (Torulaspora delbrueckii). I used it once combined with Bravo and Avante (seperate fermentors). It is probably the best wine I ever made.
Trading is also a good idea. We have a lot of options.

I'm looking at buying a sealer -- recommendations are appreciated.

Back