Hi, I'm selling my business & making wine!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickster

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm Erick. I've owned a print & design shop for 10 years. Learned so much over the years. Had the joy of working with lots of employees, but I'm ready to do something else. I want to make wine. I'm 29 years old and have many friends in the beer brewing industry, but I want to do something different. I'd like to start an urban winery. I have a lot of respect for wine, and enjoy it a lot! I've done lots of wine tasting, and just LOVE wine maker's attitudes. I have to admit, wine makers seem a little more humble and just happy people than brewers.

Anyway, the only downside to this is that I've never made wine. I am however extremely handy, an "out of the box" sort of thinker, a builder, a designer, a good cook and know business. I'm really excited about the thought of this.

Since I am coming into this with a different mind set than just your average home wine maker, what tips do you have?

I know this all takes time. Start small, and learn. Also, I have the upmost respect for you guys, so don't assume I think I can just sit down and make great wine like you guys. I just have a really positive attitude about the whole thing and I am ready to approach this with excitement and enthusiasm!

I'm all ears to what all of you have to say. :)

I guess first off where are you located? This will determine how easy it is for you to get your fruit of choice to ferment. Second, you might want to start making some wine fast.. Ie, try the chilaen harvest and see if they are still selling grapes or buckets. Get a taste of it and see if this is what you really want to do.

I'm in Southern CA. I'm getting into making wine ASAP. So is an interested partner. I think we're in the perfect spot for this sort of venture. We aren't in wine country, but we're in a busy city with lots of wine drinkers. Beer is #1, but that leaves a bit of a niche for us. And at our age, it's a good time to convince some people to join the wine-side. ;-)

I guess first off where are you located? This will determine how easy it is for you to get your fruit of choice to ferment. Second, you might want to start making some wine fast.. Ie, try the chilaen harvest and see if they are still selling grapes or buckets. Get a taste of it and see if this is what you really want to do.

This is the first few things I need to learn. Where are the best places to get my grapes? As an urban, I plan on only buying grapes until I decide to grow some of my own someday. I know this forum probably has all the answers, but can someone link me to some good discussion for Southern California folk? Keep in mind, I am coming from a zero knowledge situation. I think it's funny though, because in my industry, I get phone calls from "newbs" asking me the dumbest of questions. :)

Here's me, 4-5 years ago: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHtcqrY8Ye8[/ame]

I'm taking the same mindset into wine making. :)

If you are planing on making wine for a profit I suggest you look into state and local laws before getting to excited.

Don't let this discourage you from learning how to make wine. As a hobby it can be very rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making Talk App

If you are planing on making wine for a profit I suggest you look into state and local laws before getting to excited.

Don't let this discourage you from learning how to make wine. As a hobby it can be very rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making Talk App

I will! There are other urban wineries in the area, so I can't see why I couldn't start one. ?

I understand some areas have a limit on how many bars, etc in one area, but I don't see that being an issue around these parts.

Well, being in CA you should be close enough to get fresh crop in the Fall. If I was you I would practice until then and perhaps start at the SOONEST next Fall with the CA harvest. One of the hardest things to get used to about wine making is that it takes quite a bit of time and practice to make a respectable wine.

However, that does not mean it is too early to start out getting things ready for the business.

Last edited:
I will! There are other urban wineries in the area, so I can't see why I couldn't start one. ?

I understand some areas have a limit on how many bars, etc in one area, but I don't see that being an issue around these parts.

It isn't as simple as you think. The government laws are pretty strict. You will need to post a bond for the Feds for sure. I HIGHLY recommend you start reading them now. Before you can even start applying you will need to have a physical location for your bonded winery if that is the route you are going.

First of all, Welcome Erickster. There are a couple of us SoCal winemakers here but surprisingly few wine supply stores. Here are a couple of links I've picked up, Marabella is in long beach but I haven't had the chance to visit them yet. Morewinemaking is web based, but the have a warehouse in central california so shipping costs are much better than most online supply places. I'm in the Covina area, I've also seen members listed in Riverside, long beach and irvine I think. The people here are very knowledgeable and sharing and also completely honest, it's worth trusting their input and advice. What town are you in? We may be able to share bottles once you get addicted, I mean get involved in this hobby.
Best of luck,
Mike

http://morewinemaking.com
http://www.marabellavineyard.com

Welcome

Like someone said there is lots of laws and restrictions. Also distributing etc. if you get your own vineyard from scratch it will take several years and money to sustain it. You can purchase grapes from other vineyards meanwhile and produce your wine which still take sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

No offense to the posters here but do you really think a home wine making forum is the best place to ask advice on operating a commercial winery? I think you should be seeking advice from those experienced in what you are trying to accomplish.

Alan, you are right, moved to the commercial winery thread.

First of all, welcome to the forum, Ericster. We're glad you found us.

Now, I know nothing about the business of selling wine, but I know how to make wine. You see, I'm "just your average home wine maker" <no offense taken at all>. All the enthusiasm, positive attitude, and "above average" mindset is not going to make good wine. Practice will do that for you---and patience. Kits are easy. I have seen "wineries" that just make kit wines and sell the results. That might be fine with some (buyers and sellers), but I don't think that's you. You are going to want to get some juice and make your own kind of wine. I can certainly appreciate that mind set. It is the same mindset of many an "average home wine maker". I have met a great many home wine makers who create fantastic wines in their basements, in their spare time. It is likely that some of the best wines ever made were guzzled by artistic winos who stirred them up under their stairs or in their closets. Home wine makers have a great amount of freedom to be creative compared to commerial ventures.

I think, IMHO, that a good dose of "average home wine maker" would be a great place to start. Don't sell your business yet! Get you a couple of kits to get your hands dirty, to learn the process, and to see if you have the knack for it. If you plan on selling really good wines some day, it will take you years to build up a well aged stock.

But, I'm just a firefighter and an average home wine maker. The business aspects are way over my head. I wish you much luck in your journey, for it has only begun. :r

I can't imagine getting into this business commercially without spending some time at a commercial winery working (or just volunteering!) in some way. Friend knows people scaling up from "large garage brewery" to proper microbrewery size and the complexity of the challenges increase exponentially - and these are people who already know how to brew.

I bet wine making follows the mantra of the games industry "a great way to turn a large pile of money into a small one."

I always heard, "It takes a large fortune to make a small fortune in wine making."

Have you thought about starting a tasting room first, then down the road maybe morph it into a winery

Now, before we get all doom and gloom... My family started a winery from nothing in bible belt, Tennessee and the winery is now on its 12th year. So, it can be done. You just have to sell to the people around you. And I can not imagine the regulations in California being any tougher than in TN.

So, do not get discouraged.. Just, make sure you have a good legal to sell stock pile built up before you open the doors. Know the rules and regulations and be ready to commit to it. Wine making is really not all that glamorous of work. It is 90% janitorial if truth be told.

Back