Hi, I'm selling my business & making wine!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything is possible. I my self have 5 acres of Malbec in Argentina. But I have Managment and local wineries that buy my grapes. I just keep a barrel or two for my self. It is costly but if you buy in right and have a good plan it can workout. It will take some time. Usually you can work with a local vineyard for bit. After some time usually the owner will let you make a barrel or two for your self by can then do tastings and selling small quantities of the wine after proper permit. Lewis wines in Texas started that way. They are fantastic guys and great great wine. They are in beginning stages and love them

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Anything is possible. I my self have 5 acres of Malbec in Argentina. But I have Managment and local wineries that buy my grapes. I just keep a barrel or two for my self. It is costly but if you buy in right and have a good plan it can workout. It will take some time. Usually you can work with a local vineyard for bit. After some time usually the owner will let you make a barrel or two for your self by can then do tastings and selling small quantities of the wine after proper permit. Lewis wines in Texas started that way. They are fantastic guys and great great wine. They are in beginning stages and love them

That is what we are doing. Learning the ropes a little then we will start small scale in our spare time.

Have you thought about starting a tasting room first, then down the road maybe morph it into a winery

This is my thought process. Also, I don't know if everyone is aware, but my thought process isn't to own my own vineyard/grow my own grapes. (I mean.. maybe someday) Really, my thought process is to open a small, industrial style tasting room. (There are a few scattered throughout San Diego here) They don't grow grapes. They purchase grapes from small vineyards around SoCal, and make their own wine from them, and have a small tasting room in their facility. Just like the super small nano breweries in San Diego here. Some of which are as small as 800 sq ft. The urban winery my friend owns preaches that his place is a tasting room you can visit to taste wine that's grown local. Sort of like a one stop shop to experience difference vineyards.

I have a client/friend who own an urban winery that's shared (yet separated) to another "shop". So, I'm assuming his overall overhead/rent is very inexpensive.

I personally have a 3300sq ft printing facility with a hand full of employees. (That's the business I want to sell) And I'd gladly trade it for a 1000 sq ft tasting room/wine making space that I can run alone. :)

Anyway. I think the thought process is to have a small tasting room, and the space to make wine from outside grapes.

I DO understand that learning and experiencing all this takes time. I'm getting involved with some wineries, and trying to educate myself. I appreciate everyone's input!

All you need is the passion there Erikster- the rest follows. Winemaking is my third career- at age 64- and it's been a lot of backbreaking work so far. But we are growing our own grapes and sourcing local fruits and berries. Nothing like ordering a ton or two of fresh grapes from CA or NY State or Chile. We put in our first 100 vines in 2012, 100 more last year and another 100 this year. This summer we'll be building a winery/tasting room and getting the Federal and state permits. It's a long process and a substantial investment with deferred profits.

You are taking a much shorter route in that you will be outsourcing your grapes. So the best advice I have is very similar to Dave's- jump right in and get your hands dirty(or purple) and make a few batches. They won't all result in marketable wine, but that really doesn't matter. You have to learn the process, the sooner the better.

This is a great forum to get advice. Many members have been making wine for a very long time and are more than willing to answer the inevitable questions that will come up. Good luck!

Starting a Winery in this manner is doable. All you have to do is look around to see this.
With your business knowledge it will help with getting the winery going. If you have the will there is a way!

Latest posts

Back