Hi from CT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFC

Reaction score
Hello all - I've been lurking for some time and figured I should try to add in any way that I can because I have learned a great deal here. My name is Mike and I live in CT. I have been making wine for 3 years by myself now and since I was little with family (old school Italian way). I have made lots of Zin both using the more mondern apporach (recomended) and using no sulfates or yeast packets ( I don't do it this way anymore). I really enjoy Zinfandel and if anyone wants to know how to make it the old school way even though it's not recomended I can let you know the recipe. I have also made some whites with mixed results.

Anyway hello and hopefully I can add something to the discussions here even though there are clearly more knowledgeable folks.

The recipe? Grapes! :) Welcome Mike, Im down here in Middlebury and glad to have you aboard1

Mike welcome to our forum. We have several great wine makers up in CT. Please feel free to chime in any time to assist or ask questions.

The recipe? Grapes! :) Welcome Mike, Im down here in Middlebury and glad to have you aboard1

Hi Wade - Yes lol the recipe. All the old dudes I know swear by it. Its part Zin grapes part Alicante grapes and various processes that I am sure are worthless but they continue to do anyway b/c that's how they learned it. If you were to watch I'm sure it would make an amusing show.

Middlebury eh, not to far, I live in Branford. Where do you get your grapes? I added LC Cash and Carry to the Map feature that is on this website because that's where I get my grapes from and it was not listed. Thanks for the welcome I am sure I'll have some questions in the future.

Never knew of that one. I got mine this year at Maltose Express, last year I got a small amount over at Northeast products in Hartford along with my olives. The rpice was very close so the drive all the Hartford wasnt worth it and I still have plnety of olives.

Never knew of that one. I got mine this year at Maltose Express, last year I got a small amount over at Northeast products in Hartford along with my olives. The rpice was very close so the drive all the Hartford wasnt worth it and I still have plnety of olives.

Yea LC is a food distributor that orders grapes, they are quality and refrigerated the whole way from CA. Don't expect them to know the Brix or anything though. I had gotten them at Maltose one year and they were comparable in quality but LC was much cheaper. There are some grapes you can get for less than $20 per case (not Thompson Seedless) and the guy Leo who owns the place couldn't be nicer.

Under $20 is a damn good price! I picked up Petite Sirah and Chard this year.

Under $20 is a damn good price! I picked up Petite Sirah and Chard this year.

Just the 65 gals of Zin for me this year. I tried the sirah my first year of wine making with ok results. that's actually the grapes I bought from Tess at maltose. I had real problems with rotten egg smell all the way until bottling. It's gone now but according to her that grape is notorious for high brix and rotten egg smell. I had to add copper sulfite to get it out. I would like to try again but I don't want to waste the money if the same happens.

There are much better ways to rid your wine of that H2S problem. Its not the grape that causes the H2S problem either, its usually a conbination of the yeast used and insufficient yeast nutrient. What yeast did you use as there are a few that are notorious for doing that, one is Red Star Montrachet and requires a good dose of nutrient.

There are much better ways to rid your wine of that H2S problem. Its not the grape that causes the H2S problem either, its usually a conbination of the yeast used and insufficient yeast nutrient. What yeast did you use as there are a few that are notorious for doing that, one is Red Star Montrachet and requires a good dose of nutrient.

I followed the directions from gene spaziani (wine making companion) used Lavin 7b-1122. Used nutriant and stired the must with a paint stirrer on a drill. Could not get it out. How do you normally get that smell out? Most importantly I use the same yeast for my zin and sometimes I get h2s, could that be the cause?

Splash racking will work much better but a copper pipe or wire to stir the wine works great. Just stir it for a few minutes. Copper sulfate can be very poisonous in wrong dosage and then dosage can be reached very quickly. How much nutrient per gallon? Below is a lnk for a yeast that might do you better since you seem to have this H2S problem often. It doesnt each as much malic acid but do MLF after and you will be golden if it is needed.
http://www.lalvinyeast.com/RC212.asp

Latest posts

Back