Hello from N. MN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillybar

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, I've been lurking here a few weeks. Seemed like it was time to check in for real and say hi. Found this hobby this past winter to help pass the time up here in cold Northern MN. I found out how easy it is to get in deep and quick. I started with a couple of WE kits, now I have some frozen juice from Chile in the works. I have learned a lot already just lurking but hope to keep learning.

Now I'm off to find that thread on building your own vacuum degasser....

Mike

Building your own vacuum degasser? I sell most of the supplies like dble drilled bungs and racking canes and actually have one more pump but its missing the knob which Im trying to locate one.

Still assembling parts

I have a old nebulizer pump from when one of our kids had asthma real young. I figure switching the inlet and outlet hoses will make a nice vacuum pump. I have a guage, I just need the "plumbing kit". It would be nice to not start from zero on this part of the project.

Hi Mike! Welcome to the forum. Consult with Wade. He's the "Pumpmaster".

A nebilizer should work actually if its got enough vacuum out the back. With a gauge on it how much vac in inches can you get? To degas you want aroujd 18" - 20". If you are lower then that it wont degas your wine well bit it will still rack and filter your wine fine! Just remember that you want an overflow canister, and a hydrophoic filter before the pump cause a little moisture in that motor and it will be a goner.

thanks

Thanks everyone.

Wade, I just picked up the guage today and haven't had a chance to check the pull the pump has. Thanks for the info as soon as I get a chance I will let you know what it pulls.

Mike

It works...

Wade, my nebulizer pulls about 20", it seems to work like a charm. I picked up some fittings and tubing today and will try my first degas and rack using the pump. How long do you let it degas under the vacuum?

Mike

A nebilizer should work actually if its got enough vacuum out the back. With a gauge on it how much vac in inches can you get? To degas you want aroujd 18" - 20". If you are lower then that it wont degas your wine well bit it will still rack and filter your wine fine! Just remember that you want an overflow canister, and a hydrophoic filter before the pump cause a little moisture in that motor and it will be a goner.

Yeah for the Midwest!!

First suction pumps, now nebulizers... they are a lot cheaper and easier to find!! I'm the medical professional in the group... how come I'm not coming up with this cool stuff?? Hmmmmmmm

Debbie

Back