Hello from Salt Lake City, Utah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Corey

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been a long time lurker here as I've been learning the ropes of wine making and recently signed up to dig in deeper.

I have been making Cider and Perry for 5+ years and am only now getting into wine making. I love making beverages from my own grown fruit (I have 3 apple trees and my brother has a pear tree) and I learned about hybrid grapes through our local ag university. They have a large study vineyard with gems like Aromella, La Crosse, Marquette etc. So I planted 4 vines where I could squeeze them in my yard and am starting to make wine from frozen grapes. I made a small batch of Catawba rose last year that turned out....fine. I'm looking forward to learning from you all and sharing in the conversation.

My dream is to start a hybrid vineyard here in Norther Utah and expose people to a local beverage that can be quite amazing.

Hi everyone. I have been a long time lurker here as I've been learning the ropes of wine making and recently signed up to dig in deeper.

I have been making Cider and Perry for 5+ years and am only now getting into wine making. I love making beverages from my own grown fruit (I have 3 apple trees and my brother has a pear tree) and I learned about hybrid grapes through our local ag university. They have a large study vineyard with gems like Aromella, La Crosse, Marquette etc. So I planted 4 vines where I could squeeze them in my yard and am starting to make wine from frozen grapes. I made a small batch of Catawba rose last year that turned out....fine. I'm looking forward to learning from you all and sharing in the conversation.

My dream is to start a hybrid vineyard here in Norther Utah and expose people to a local beverage that can be quite amazing.
I'm in SLC I'm growing malbec, tempranillo, tannat and baco noir.

The malbecs are doing the best. The tannats are also doing well but in a short season they may not get fully ripe.

The bacos are a hybrid and are also doing well.

I like the tempranillos but they are a little more finicky.

I planted the malbecs and tempranillos in about 2016, the tannats and bacos in 2020.

I have seen no winter damage but they are all pretty well protected.

I'm in SLC I'm growing malbec, tempranillo, tannat and baco noir.

The malbecs are doing the best. The tannats are also doing well but in a short season they may not get fully ripe.

The bacos are a hybrid and are also doing well.

I like the tempranillos but they are a little more finicky.

I planted the malbecs and tempranillos in about 2016, the tannats and bacos in 2020.

I have seen no winter damage but they are all pretty well protected.
Very cool to see Malbec being grown here. I hadn't considered it. I've been curious about Cabernet Franc and apparently the USU test vineyard in Kaysville has some Resiling.

Glad to see some SLC folks on the forum! I live by liberty park. I grow raspberries and ground cherries for cider and sour beer co-ferments. Also a few wickson crab apple trees for blending into my ciders. I used to get my juice from paradise valley orchards in Logan before it sold last year😢. I also make kit wines from WE and FWK. I produce about 150 gallons of beer, wine, & cider per year and am always down for trades! Just planted my first cab sauv vine this year, I’d love to get my hands on some Malbec grapes for a sour beer if you have a few LBS left this fall!

Glad to see some SLC folks on the forum! I live by liberty park. I grow raspberries and ground cherries for cider and sour beer co-ferments. Also a few wickson crab apple trees for blending into my ciders. I used to get my juice from paradise valley orchards in Logan before it sold last year😢. I also make kit wines from WE and FWK. I produce about 150 gallons of beer, wine, & cider per year and am always down for trades! Just planted my first cab sauv vine this year, I’d love to get my hands on some Malbec grapes for a sour beer if you have a few LBS left this fall!
Remind me in September, I can give you some local malbec grapes.

Awesome! I make a lot of cider as well from the random trees in my and my family’s trees. I use what I think is plum leaf crabapple for mixing. I’m currently making a Pinot Noir from frozen grapes. Good to see everyone here! I’d love to have a get together for tasting.

Good luck with the Cab Sauv. I’ve been curious to see if they’d be able to withstand our winters.

How many lbs are you looking for?

Looks like Sept 30 for picking the Malbecs.
That sounds great! I probably don’t need much more than 5lbs, but if you have a bit more I’d be super happy! Please let me know what works best, I can meet you at harvest time!

Latest posts

Back