DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been 9 days now, still at 1 bubble every 5 seconds. I wonder if crushing the berries against the side, when stirring, added sugar, thus a prolonged ferment? Next time I'll crush first!

It's been 9 days now, still at 1 bubble every 5 seconds. I wonder if crushing the berries against the side, when stirring, added sugar, thus a prolonged ferment? Next time I'll crush first!

What is your SG?

I am using the “presser method” lol.

As long as the SG is below 1.000 you should be fine to proceed with clearing.

Just did a stir (and crush), it's at 1.020, and back to 1 / 5 seconds. This is a 3 piece airlock. I have wondered if an 'S' type airlock would bubble at a different rate, at the same fermentation rate.

Just did a stir (and crush), it's at 1.020, and back to 1 / 5 seconds. This is a 3 piece airlock. I have wondered if an 'S' type airlock would bubble at a different rate, at the same fermentation rate.
Counting bubbles is an absolute waste of time and energy. It doesn't mean much of anything. The Co2 may be escaping some other way than through the airlock. Your hydrometer changing or not is all that matters.

Just a frame of reference, I expected it to slow (as it usually does). I said to myself 'Duh, crushing the floating fruit is adding sugar.' lol, pretty obvious to me now! I usually just do 100% bottled juice, so just pour it in and you're done. I did do a 1G strawberry, but otherwise just juice, and this.

Hi All -

Found this thread a while ago and have been slowly accumulating bits to start. Plan: Have a batch started and bottled in the time my son is home from college for Christmas break. Slow getting going, but we put everything together tonight, will pitch tomorrow. He goes back the 22nd of January; I'm hopeful, and either way, this is so much fun with my boy.

Recipe alterations: 40 ounces of ReaLemon instead of 48, 8 pounds of Kirkland triple berry, and 24 ounces of Redner's frozen raspberries. Going to use K1-V1116. Will see how it goes.

Thanks to all of you for the inspiration!

Scott

Good to have help by Scott, on Flickr

Triple berry fruit wine/must by Scott, on Flickr

The K1 yeast works well. It will smooth out some of the tartness. I like mine nice and tart, so I stick with trusty EC-1118.

Checked vital statistics: SG 1.052 (was 1.092 yesterday), temp = 84F. Roiling. Just churning. Smells strong - not bad, but not what I'm used to. I unplugged the Brew Belt - I think 84 is above where I want to be with K1-V. Tastes good though - very fruity.

Hope you all have a safe and happy New Year!

Thinking of starting my first batch and wondering if there is a problem with letting this clear for 3-4 weeks? Or should I wait until a time I am more available?

Thinking of starting my first batch and wondering if there is a problem with letting this clear for 3-4 weeks? Or should I wait until a time I am more available?

DB is “designed” to be ready to drink after two weeks, however, I am sure you can leave it longer to clear, as long as you don’t mean allowing it to sit on the lees for 3-4 weeks. If I am wrong I am sure Dave can chime in.

DB is “designed” to be ready to drink after two weeks, however, I am sure you can leave it longer to clear, as long as you don’t mean allowing it to sit on the lees for 3-4 weeks. If I am wrong I am sure Dave can chime in.
Thanks for response - wouldn't be leaving on lees. I would have time to rack and stabilize, but would likely have to bottle with less than a week of clearing or wait for several weeks. Thinking it would be better to allow extra time for clearing than not enough (although waiting and starting the whole process in a month or two also an option)

Back