DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is first DB run. It’s still in secondary clearing up a few weeks, so I have not backsweetened yet or sorbated. I did try a test glass on racking to secondary and was way tart, flat, etc. I added 3 teaspoon of simple syrup in the glass and it was palatable. Not fruity tasting or smelling like it was in primary AF(which smelled awesome). I’ll let it settle out a amonth, rack, use bentonite to clear if cloudy backsweeten and sorbate. We shall see

From pitching the yeast to bottling it was under two weeks for me. Did you follow the directions to a “T”?

Pitched my yeast on December 4, bottled on December 17.

I scaled it down to 1 gallon and did follow recipe but added a about 10 pieces of French oak chips. I did only use 1lb of Walmart Triple berry for the gallon. Again, it smelled incredible in AF day 2-5. Have not added clarifier, sugar or solvated yet. Just hoping it gets where it should as far as taste. Only been messing with making wine for a year. My biggest learning is be patient and it’ll probably be fine.

FWIW, I bought A used FastFermet 7.9 gallon off Craigslist for $30. Guy said tried it once and gave up. I Took it apart, cleaned, sanitized ad read the instructions. Put all connections together about 10x and used razor to clean the overmolded seams screwing up the threads. Bought Blue Monster Pipe Thread Tape at plumbing supply store and Danco waterproof grease at Lowe’s(its food safe, I called Danco and was so told).
Each connection point was trial and error but 4-7 full wraps(start with 4 and water test. If leaks, remove tape and put on clean 6 wraps) of tape on a connection and adding the grease over the tape..... completely eliminated all leaks! I’m water testing again now for a 24 hour test but, no leaks. The Blue Monster tape is much thicker than the cheap white pipe thread wrap. If you have a Fastfermenter and suffer leaks, try this technique.
It looks to be a functional product if it don’t leak. I’m planning to pitch a Cab Sauvignon kit in it Saturday if no more leaks. Again, we shall see. I love the science and experimenting with fermenting edibles!

You don't need patience with DB just follow the directions. You should've bottled already. The fruit will get better after sweetened and a week or two aging. Next batch double the fruit and follow the directions to a T then start making changes to what you like or read through the thread and find something that sounds good to you.

I strove from the start to make the DB recipe a “no-brainer”, with detailed descriptions of what to do at each step. It is a confidence builder for new wine makers because—if you stick to the script—it is virtually fool-proof. You get a good cheap wine quickly, and with a hearty huzzah! for yourself! A big part of bring an excellent wine maker is the ability to think outside the box, but you need a box first.
Keith, I hope you get yours straightened out. It sounds like you did ok. Something must be amiss.

So my first batch is now about 5 weeks in the bottle, nicely clear with only sparkaloid. My son mentioned his girlfriend might like DB as she drinks coolers and cider. Gave them a bottle. Her roommate came home from a party, thought she might have a nightcap, and opened the bottle in the fridge. Poor young lady proceeded to quaff a fair deal as it is so easy drinking and the alcohol just vanished behind the fruit acidity, and mine is fairly dry - 1/3 cup sugar per gallon backsweetened from dead dry ferment. She ended up in bed for the better part of the next day, hit head on by the DB train. I am sure this lesson has been learned by others ... like the time the bartender in Hawaii warned me about the zombies he was making me ... you might want to have water for an hour sir, these kind of creep up on you!

Looking back at the recipe, Maybe i didn’t quite follow exactly, although I thought I did.

I scaled everything down for a 1 gallon batch, but, I used a full gallon of water in addition to all the other ingredients.
I should have used a 1/2 gallon or so, added sugar, pectic acid, etc and then topped off to 1 full gallon.
The way I made it, it ended up about 1 1/2 gallons. I used too much water. I’m starting another 1 gallon batch and will make that adjustment that will give me a 1 gallon total volume when I pitch the yeast.

I have opened and drank a couple of bottles so far and I am finding that the aroma has a bit of smell that bothers my nose like the metabisulfite does and I cannot smell or taste anything from the berries I used. It smells kind of floral. I put a tsp of sorbate for the 3 gallons and one Campden tab per gallon before bottling. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

That's not good! Maybe air it out, and let the meta dissipate? I don't want to introduce more O2, but it's an option.

. . . I also noted that you have already bottled. As I have (grudgingly) done in the past, opening the bottled wine to allow for adjustments is an option. It just depends upon how bad it really is.

Second batch in the fermenter. Went for the full batch this time and I added 2 pound extra fruit and 3 cups extra sugar taking the SG to 1.092. I will pitch the yeast tomorrow evening!

Pitched the yeast tonight. The colour is gorgeous! Much deeper colour than with the three gallon batch I did. Smells much better also.

I went with the standard fruit and pitched RC-212 (good berry yeast) on the 18th, it's still going 1 bubble/ 5 sec. I thought that it was a rapid ferment still, after a week. BTW started at 1.090, but didn't crush berries (mistake), I have been trying to crush them against the side of the bucket when stirring, not a huge amount of 'floaters' left. My bad, but I don't think a major deal, SG might be higher, but maybe I won't have to back-sweeten!

Started a 6 gallon batch of muscadine/lemon a week ago. Been the slowest fermenter to date, but attribute it to the cooler temps. Started at 1.086 with the crushed muscadines and finally at 1.024 this morning. Should have warmed it up a bit or pulled the skins sooner. Used 13 lbs. of purples and hope it wasn’t on the skins too long. Do know is noticeably darker than a previous batch. Have made several batches of muscadine now with various amounts of fruit, and this one is everyone’s favorite. None of the others are even close. The lemon just balances it perfectly.

Well, I aerated and decanted a bottle from my first batch overnight and I’m having a glass now, much better tasting. I am going to age the 11 bottles I have left and concentrate on the 6 gallons I now have going.

I've done 3 3 gallon batches since Nov 1st and I'm on the last bottle of the first batch except one I stashed to age more. All three were different but good. I broke it out at the family Christmas party and everyone loved it. I ended up giving away bottles to a few people.

I need to start another batch as soon as I make up my mind what flavor I want to try.

I started aother 1 gallon batch and followed instructions exactly, including total amount of water last Friday . It’s looking great in AF now. I’m confidant that es my issue

Back