Corks - What should I use.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikev63

Junior
Reaction score
I am doing a WineXpert Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot.

Im ready to bottle. What corks would you recommend? I have a floor corker. What natural cork would you recommend?

I like the agglomerate corks. There are a number of brands. Make sure you buy #9 corks and I only use 1 3/4" ones. A lot depends on how long you plan on keeping the wine, but these are what I use.

What if you use a hand corker, would you use the same corks? Sorry if I am jumping in on a tread?

Ditto the above, #9 x 1 3/4 agglomerated. Just picked up 200 of them this morning on my way to work. Ready for corking once I rinse and sanitize some bottles.

Whoo hooo. I'll pick up another 200 next payday.

Hi harleydmn,

I used the #9, 1 3/4" when I used a handcorker, lol, but then again I had my husband cork the bottles.

Either whats said above or the Bi-disc corks which are a step better. Both should work with a hand corker. Do not try and use synthetic with a hand corker and even a Portuguese floor corker will have a hard time with some synthetic corks.

#8s are normally used for wines to be stored less than 4 or 5 years, #9s are normally for 4-5 years or longer. But nothing says you can't use 9s for short term but I would not recomend 8s for long term. BTW 8s are easer to put in than 9s but the price is the same so the choice is yours. Does this help any?

I kind of disagree with that statement. There are many different kinds of corks out there, many of them are really only good for 2 or less years including #8. Only a few out there are rated for 4-5 years opr longer...

I use the #9 X 1 3/4" bi-disc that Wade is talking about. For splits that I'm going to test along the way, I use #9 X 1 1/2" perfect agglomerate. I use the Italian floor corker.

Synthetic corks were designed to combat cork bacteria that causes wine to become "corked". A lot of corks are now treated to prevent corking of wine.

Latest posts

Back