Corking Bottle Question from Newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScootDogg

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Questions on corking wine bottles.

1. Im still trying to use the manual corker when corking my wine (What a pain!). My question is some of the bottles are either 3/4 or 1/2 corked? Does this affect the wine at all? Will it leak at all if it’s half or 3/4 corked?

2. Just curious, some Wine bottles have twist caps. Is there a way to do this when bottling homemade wine?

3. Are the floor corkers with the money and as easy to use as the videos look? 😎

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

1. Im still trying to use the manual corker when corking my wine (What a pain!). My question is some of the bottles are either 3/4 or 1/2 corked? Does this affect the wine at all? Will it leak at all if it’s half or 3/4 corked?
For long term, the likelihood of leaking is much higher, as is the likelihood of O2 ingress (oxygen getting into the bottle and oxidizing the wine). Pull the cork and put one in properly.

2. Just curious, some Wine bottles have twist caps. Is there a way to do this when bottling homemade wine?
There are caps that may fit.

Me? I use corks on corkable bottles. DO NOT put a cork into a screwcap bottle -- the glass is fragile and is not made to withstand the stress of corking or uncorking. The likelihood of the glass shattering is high, and your wrists are close to that sharp glass.

3. Are the floor corkers with the money and as easy to use as the videos look?
Yes. People who guy floor corkers do not go back to other corkers. My Italian corker is 30+ years old, works like a champ, and my elder son will pass it down to his children (not any time soon as he hasn't made them yet).

3. Are the floor corkers with the money and as easy to use as the videos look? 😎
The Portuguese floor corkers are reasonably priced, and while they may not last for generations, I know folks who have corked thousands of bottles of wine with them. And they are as easy to use as the videos show!

The $60 I spent on the Portuguese floor corker was money well invested even though I was only making 1-2 kits per year at the time. Fast forward to 2023 I'm now making 4X's this amount and its so nice to use. I found the better equipment I had ..... the more fun it was to make wine. Just a thought.

I bought an Italian floor corker and would not consider using anything else (unless some day i get really high end and fancy and get a pneumatic corker. I think I'd have to make much higher volume for this to be worthwhile though).

One nice feature of the Italian floor corker is that you can get a crown capping attachment for capping beer bottles and sparkling wine (26 or 29mm closures). I used it recently for a sparkling wine project and it worked out fine (at least, no leaks so far!)

No telling how many hundreds of bottles I corked with a manual corker in years past. I took a break from winemaking for several years and picked it up again 3 or 4 years ago. I found that I just didn't have the strength to use the manual corker. The floor corker is definitely worth the money. As for partially inserted corks, even if they don't leak you risk ullage and possible oxidation. Put more effort into the corking process and use a rubber mallet for the corks that are mostly but not completely inserted.

I bought an Italian floor corker on Facebook Marketplace for $40. Search and you shall find. I love it but I must say sometimes the corks slip above the bottle as described above. I’m not sure why that happens. I usually try another cork and the same thing occurs. I’m still scratching my head. If it doesn’t work with two attempts, I just open that bottle first.

use a rubber mallet for the corks that are mostly but not completely inserted.
If you’re going to try this wrap a towel around the bottle first. And we are a heavy leather glove. I’m sure the bottles aren’t designed for impact… even using a rubber mallet you risk shattering the bottle.

Hey guys,

Questions on corking wine bottles.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers
Look on used sites, Kijiji, craigslist. Facebook... I have seen floor corkers for $25 and I ended up with 3 because for under $200 I was able to buy all the equipment I will ever need and they were included with different sellers.

When you refer to a manual corker, what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about the kind that you have to push down on a plunger of some sort, or like a two armed lever kind? I can't really imagine what a pain the plunger type is since I've never used one. Regardless of which one it is, a floor corker, as others have said, are most definitely easier than either one of those. I upgraded to an Italian floor corker that I found on Craigslist. The only thing I would say that the videos don't mention is that you may need to put your foot on the front leg when raising the lever back up. The only other issue with them is that they're big, and finding a place to store one can be an issue.

When you refer to a manual corker, what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about the kind that you have to push down on a plunger of some sort, or like a two armed lever kind? I can't really imagine what a pain the plunger type is since I've never used one. Regardless of which one it is, a floor corker, as others have said, are most definitely easier than either one of those. I upgraded to an Italian floor corker that I found on Craigslist. The only thing I would say that the videos don't mention is that you may need to put your foot on the front leg when raising the lever back up. The only other issue with them is that they're big, and finding a place to store one can be an issue.
Yep. I learned that quickly.

When you refer to a manual corker, what exactly do you mean?
This is what I used, years ago. Put the cork in the thing, squeeze the handles together to compress the cork and push the plunger down. Back in the 90s I made 50-100 gallons of wine a year and there's no telling how many 100s of bottles I corked with this monstrosity.

Attachments

• 20230523_102047.jpg
    20230523_102047.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
This is what I used, years ago. Put the cork in the thing, squeeze the handles together to compress the cork and push the plunger down. Back in the 90s I made 50-100 gallons of wine a year and there's no telling how many 100s of bottles I corked with this monstrosity.
I’m guessing that would still be better than the double-lever corker. Although I’ve bottled hundreds of bottles with one. Bought a Portuguese floor corker last year so I’ll be giving away three of them* and saving one for emergencies.

* I have four double-lever corkers because every wine supplies bargain I have found included one!

I thought you meant a double lever corker. Yours is ugly looking.

The Portuguese floor corkers are reasonably priced, and while they may not last for generations, I know folks who have corked thousands of bottles of wine with them. And they are as easy to use as the videos show!
Love my Portuguese floor corker!

Cheers!

Love my Portuguese floor corker!

Cheers!
Same for me about mine! The only complaint I have (and I knew this when I bought it, which didn't stop me from trying it once myself to confirm) is it doesn't work with the 375 ml bellissima bottles because the bottles are too tall. I have only 4 of those bottles so I just use T corks and drink those first if I need to use them.

Latest posts

Back