After corking some of the corks looks slightly elevated

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artooks

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first time in winemaking and I just finished corking, before corking I adjusted the nut on the floor corker
and the corks are flush, so at this point everything seems ok, but some of my corks looks slightly elevated, from
the beginning, what can I do to fix this problem, should I use the floor corker again ?

IMG_9254.PNG

Make sure you don't fill the bottles too full. That will also cause issues with a cork seating correctly in the bottle. Ask me how I know! 😂🤣😂

That's what it looks like to me. In your first picture you have no ullage (airspace between wine and cork), and since wine is not compressible, either the cork stands proud or the bottle breaks.

@Jovimaple & @CDrew, good catch.

With Bordeaux bottles, fill the bottle to the bottom of the neck. The filler tubes I've used are exactly the volume that if I fill a bottle to the brim, when I pull the tube out the wine drops to the correct level, regardless of bottle style.

Last edited:
That's what it looks like to me. In your first picture you have no ullage (airspace between wine and cork), and since wine is not compressible, either the cork stands proud or the bottle breaks.
Hi,

Actually I left 0.75” airspace between cork and wine but it is not appearent in tbe picture but let me ask you what would be the minimum space between wine and cork ?

A rubber mallet works as well as long as you have the bottle on a piece of wood. I don't use agglomerate corks so I don't know if it's the same but natural corks have different densities and go into the bottle differently.
Mine are also natural corks

Latest posts

Back