Corks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Applewineguy

Reaction score
So its been 10 years since I've made wine but here I am again and things have changed. I used to use 10 year synthetic corks but now not sure what is the norm. I remember trying regular cork and it was awful, I lost a whole batch from the corks going bad. I would like to go synthetic again I think but much of what I am reading now is suggesting a grade 1 cork or something of the sort. I use an Italian floor corker and wondering what everyone is using for corks these days. Being in Canada has made things a touch difficult. Look forward to hearing from you all!

I use the Nomacorcs and have no problems. The Select 900, which is what I believe the unlabeled ones are, are rated for 5 years and my guess is they are good for 7 years.
I've tried finding them specifically the 500s or even 100s and I'm not sure where people are getting them? Google doesn't bring up much for them. I've found 900s but they aren't good for beyond 2 years

I've tried finding them specifically the 500s or even 100s and I'm not sure where people are getting them? Google doesn't bring up much for them. I've found 900s but they aren't good for beyond 2 years
Nomacorc information is chaotic and difficult to track down, especially as they work with another company for marketing, and the various sites are not up to date.

The Select 900 appear to be re-branded as Classic Green, and are rated for 5 years. I have wines bottled in 2018 which are holding fine.

Nomacorc information is chaotic and difficult to track down, especially as they work with another company for marketing, and the various sites are not up to date.

The Select 900 appear to be re-branded as Classic Green, and are rated for 5 years. I have wines bottled in 2018 which are holding fine.
I'm wanting the 500s which are good to a minimum of 10 years.

I'm wanting the 500s which are good to a minimum of 10 years.
The link @DavesWine posted for Carolina Wine Supply has both the 900 and 500 listed. I purchased the 900's, which turned out to be 1-3/4" instead of 1-1/2", which is ok with me. 1,000 corks is a lot for most people; it will take me a couple of years to use 'em up.

hum,
i got many different types of country wines using nomacroc select 900's,
do good for me for 8/9 an 10 years, so far, been looking for some nomacroc reserva
but amazon have been out of stock lately,
2 years huh ?
i guess since i run high ABV's with extra fruit and back sweetened to mainly 1.040
heck even my whites get way longer life the they claim,,,
but everyone is different I've been told.
Dawg

This is a useful link. I have been using Nomacork from the local store at $30 per hundred. The vinters club has been selling natural cork but the synthetic works upright.
Including tax + S&H, the 1,000 count bag was $189 USD, e.g., $0.19 each as opposed to the $0.27 to $0.30 I was paying.

Last edited:
So its been 10 years since I've made wine but here I am again and things have changed. I used to use 10 year synthetic corks but now not sure what is the norm. I remember trying regular cork and it was awful, I lost a whole batch from the corks going bad. I would like to go synthetic again I think but much of what I am reading now is suggesting a grade 1 cork or something of the sort. I use an Italian floor corker and wondering what everyone is using for corks these days. Being in Canada has made things a touch difficult. Look forward to hearing from you all!
crush2celler.com nomacorc sg300 rated for 15 years, i used to use flor corks, but syntenic can be stored standing
Dawg

Latest posts

Back