Commercial wine rack at Sams Club for $80.88

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there's another thread around possibly this same wine rack in chrome, I just don't know if this one at Sams Club is the same brand (Seville) as the one from Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E8ZYPI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/commercial-wine-rack/143556.ip?sprodId=143556#desc

My closest Sams Club is 15 miles away, not bad, so I could pick up there and don't pay shipping ($28 more).....BUT I am NOT a Sams Club member...:slp

I wanted a wooden rack for the basement but this chrome unit sounds like a good buy for the price and would allo placing both .750ml and 1 liter bottles.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
This has NEVER been able to be shipped to a club before so that is a very good plus! Next question, how could you not be a member of either Sams or COSTCO! LOL

I just tried to have one sent to the Sam's Club by my house and it told me is in not available for store pick up. Shipping and tax make it $112.00.

RR

Take your pick..oh wait you can't without a membership! Actually the one from Amazon is offering free shipping. The prices are very comparable. I think any one of us would pay $150 for the rack. It's a great deal!

I ordered the one from Amazon. I have 'Amazon Prime' free second day freight on most items.

RR

I have four of these racks from Sam's Club and you can't beat them for the price vs. capacity. One caution for all who intend to buy one. They work great for standard Bordeaux bottles, not so good for Burgundy bottles nor the type of bottle that is sort of Bordeaux shaped but has a smaller diameter at the base than it does at the shoulder. This is because there are three wire "semi-circular loops" into which a bottle is to lie. A Bordeaux bottle contacts all three, a Burgundy only two. I have had two fatalities from bottles sliding off the stack. As a fix, I have ressorted to placing a layer of small bubble wrap between the layers of bottles for additional friction.

I am not saying that they should not be purchased. Just be careful with them and the type of bottles that you use.

I have 2 and others are right - they have to ship to your home with no store pickup.

I do have a question though. With a 168 bottles 750ml size, how much do you think the total weight is of the rack and the bottles? We have them in an upstairs bedroom and are concerned about the weight.

The wine would weigh around 268 pounds, but that doesn't include the bottles or the rack. I just weighed a bottle at 22 oz. 231 pounds so thewine and bottles come to 499 pounds. If the rack is 50 pounds, then you're looking at about 550 pounds. Like having three fat people standing near each other.

I could kick myself. You said this was a bedroom? That would be 3 fat people on the bed. Much more interesting. I think the weight of the wine rack would be much safer. You never know what those fat people are gonna start doing on that bed. And what if they had some wine and were spilling it all over?

This has NEVER been able to be shipped to a club before so that is a very good plus! Next question, how could you not be a member of either Sams or COSTCO! LOL

I am a Costco member (wife is an employee...), but not Sams member.

I have four of these racks from Sam's Club and you can't beat them for the price vs. capacity. One caution for all who intend to buy one. They work great for standard Bordeaux bottles, not so good for Burgundy bottles nor the type of bottle that is sort of Bordeaux shaped but has a smaller diameter at the base than it does at the shoulder. This is because there are three wire "semi-circular loops" into which a bottle is to lie. A Bordeaux bottle contacts all three, a Burgundy only two. I have had two fatalities from bottles sliding off the stack. As a fix, I have ressorted to placing a layer of small bubble wrap between the layers of bottles for additional friction.

I am not saying that they should not be purchased. Just be careful with them and the type of bottles that you use.

good quick points Rocky, I have both types of bottles, high shoulder and slope shoulder bottles.
At the same time, what about liter bottles? I have many of those and wonder if bottle will lay down properly and you can stack them up??

That is important to know for me before I buy...!!
Let me know, thanks.

Last edited:
good quick points Rocky, I have both types of bottles, high shoulder and slope shoulder bottles.
At the same time, what about liter bottles? I have many of those and wonder if bottle will lay down properly and you can stack them up??

That is important to know for me before I buy...!!
Let me know, thanks.
..[/QUOTE]

In the illustration below, the first and fourth bottle would work fine. The second and third would only contact two of the three support loops. As far as 1 liter bottles are concerned, I am not sure what you mean. If you mean 1500 ml bottles, which are normally Bordeaux shaped, they work fine except you cannot get as many on the shelves due to the diameter.

bottleshapes.jpg

Actually in addition to what Rocky is saying; most of us have a lot of different shaped bottles since we take what ever we can get. What I do is stack bottles 2 & 3 in his diagram on the top layer of each shelf to eminate the issue. Having them in the first or second layer is definately a risk without any kind of nonslip material.

The wine would weigh around 268 pounds, but that doesn't include the bottles or the rack. I just weighed a bottle at 22 oz. 231 pounds so thewine and bottles come to 499 pounds. If the rack is 50 pounds, then you're looking at about 550 pounds. Like having three fat people standing near each other.

3 fat people. I am 6'2 230 and do not consider my self fat.

Hmmm

Any bottles that do not have straight sides are more difficult to stack. They are best in a wine rack that has individual spaces for the bottles rather than stacking. You can get stacks more stable if you alternate the bottles bottom first, top first in the stack.

If you have this up against a wall (flush) you can stack those troublesome bottles backwards as well so they will be angled towards the back wall and sliding backwards instead of forwards. There are all types of little tricks you can use like others have said. I think I bought one of the first ones years ago on this forum. This rack is rated to safely hold as much wine as you can fit on it and then some.

:< :< What did Greg just say? I think I need a visual. I've heard of bottoms up!

Yeah, I struggled to figure out how to say it.

Stack the bottles alternating the direction of the bottle as you put it into the rack. One row of cork facing out. Next row the bottle goes in cork first.

Finally, would you chose that Seville chrome rack instead of this one I saw at the local liquor store, shown in this picture:

wine rack.jpg

Latest posts

Back