Commercial wine rack at Sams Club for $80.88

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Seville rack is the most bang for the buck if you have lots of the same wines bottled etc. If you have a lot of "one off" bottles then the individual wire or wood racks are very nice as you can easily grab just the one you want. I have a wooden one from wineracks dot com that I keep my commercial wines in. Home brew stuff goes on the Seville racks.

Last edited:
I have four of these racks from Sam's Club and you can't beat them for the price vs. capacity. One caution for all who intend to buy one. They work great for standard Bordeaux bottles, not so good for Burgundy bottles nor the type of bottle that is sort of Bordeaux shaped but has a smaller diameter at the base than it does at the shoulder. This is because there are three wire "semi-circular loops" into which a bottle is to lie. A Bordeaux bottle contacts all three, a Burgundy only two. I have had two fatalities from bottles sliding off the stack. As a fix, I have ressorted to placing a layer of small bubble wrap between the layers of bottles for additional friction.

I am not saying that they should not be purchased. Just be careful with them and the type of bottles that you use.

I'm having a tough time visualizing why the Burgundy bottles that only contact 2 wires would slide. Do the center wires on the rack give (deflect) more causing the slope?

Please let me know! I just ordered one of these racks before reading this thread and I have like 20-30 cases of the amber hock bottles which sure sound like the type that can slide :?

The spacing is too narrow to hit the flat part of the bottle efficiently. You really have to back the bottle back to get it stable, then make sure each successive row is back a little more so that the weight is centered towards the rear and not the front. They will slide forward and out if your not careful but you can get them stacked fairly stable if you use caution.

Ok, I get it. Assuming it has adjustable feet I'm thinking (thanks to your caution) I'd induce a slight angle such that the base would be held out from the wall about an inch and the top would touch the wall. Thanks!

The bubble wrap or anything that would add a bit of friction between rows (like Rocky mentioned) should also work well for the Burgundy bottles.

I have 2 set up from when we had the wine in the closet upstairs. The wine is boxed and under the house until the new cellar is done. Two more are sitting in the garage in their box waiting to be assembled. They are perfect for us and will work well in the new cellar.

Last edited:
Well, I got mine and I'm not very impressed. The racks are warped and many of the pieces (the safety rods) are missing. I set it up anyway because sending something that bulky and heavy back would be a PITA.

I would call Seville and see if they will ship you out the replacement pieces you need. Usually they are free of charge if they are missing or damaged in shipping. You especially need those safety rods. Did this come from Amazon or Sam's?

It was from Amazon. I rated the product and gave it a single star.

Last edited:
Ok, I don't get what the safety rods really do, especially since you hang them from the top shelf... and then you put a lot of bottles on the top shelf that has nothing at all to keep them from falling off. Do the rods really do anything? Is it safe to stack bottles on the top, or just a single layer?

The rods will help when you add more bottles than you're suppose to like I do. I often add an extra bottle on each end of the first layer. The rods keep bottles from falling out the sides.

That stinks. I love mine. I would contact Amazon and see if they'll ship you another.

Amazon has great customer service. Contact them and let them know what you got!

It was from Amazon. I rated the product and gave it a single star.

Thats not fair to the product. It sounds like it was damaged in shipping. We have hundreds of very happy satisfied winemakers using these.

UPS should get the 1 Star!

Unfortunately, the issue was Amazon, not Fed Ex. This unit was apparently returned and then shipped out again with the top of the box open!

I contacted Seville and they are sending all the missing parts. Once I get them, I'll contact Amazon to revise the rating. However, my shelves were warped enough that I couldn't adjust the shelf to stability using the feet alone.

And since I have mostly the "hock" style bottles I ran a test to confirm that they can slide off. I'm really glad Rocky posted about it or I might be royally PO'ed. I wish there was a better fix than just being careful how you stack/handle them. I can just imagine someone not knowing this grabbing a bottle and we wind up with a mess (or worse). I'm not sure I have the patience to stack them with non-slip wrap all the time.

I was looking at these Seville racks and Amazon has them for 129$ delivered right now.

I went to the Seville Classics site, and you can buy direct from them and the total with shipping to my location is $108.03 :b

168 Bottle 7-Shelf Chrome Wine Rack - 14x36x64 item number SHE16473

I like that you can buy extra shelves from them also.

img_1_20110325135534_SHE16473-main.jpg

thought I would share. YMMV

I make my racks out of pine. They will hold about 200 or more bottles.

I can probably make on a little cheaper than the Sams rack but I will not be making anymore. Those are nice.

Latest posts

Back