Chilean Juices at L'uva Bella in Youngstown, OH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan and/or Julie, (or anybody who has done a Carmenere juice bucket) I haven't picked up my Carmenere juice bucket yet but I want to be prepared for when I do. Are you planning to do a MLF on it? Are you going to use oak, grape pack, raisins. I saw where George has Grape packs with either cabernet or syrah grapes--not too sure which I would/should use. Where can I get a MLF culture? Would it be available locally? Keep good notes for me. Thanks!

did a chilean carmenere last spring, didn't do malo and it is good. Did malo on my italian reds and the result is very good so far. Picked up my 2011 chileans yesterday, carmenere, malbec and pinot grigio and will definately do malolactic on the reds, haven't decided if i will add raisens or not.

Dan and/or Julie, (or anybody who has done a Carmenere juice bucket) I haven't picked up my Carmenere juice bucket yet but I want to be prepared for when I do. Are you planning to do a MLF on it? Are you going to use oak, grape pack, raisins. I saw where George has Grape packs with either cabernet or syrah grapes--not too sure which I would/should use. Where can I get a MLF culture? Would it be available locally? Keep good notes for me. Thanks!

Mike you should be able to pick up a mlf culture at any of the bigger local shops down there. I am not sure if Frank has them or not at Bella's. I would check asap though in case you need to order from George.

did a chilean carmenere last spring, didn't do malo and it is good. Did malo on my italian reds and the result is very good so far. Picked up my 2011 chileans yesterday, carmenere, malbec and pinot grigio and will definately do malolactic on the reds, haven't decided if i will add raisens or not.

Vic are you going to do MLF this year on the Carmenere even though you did not last year?

Mike you should be able to pick up a mlf culture at any of the bigger local shops down there. I am not sure if Frank has them or not at Bella's. I would check asap though in case you need to order from George.

Vic are you going to do MLF this year on the Carmenere even though you did not last year?

yes will definitely do mlf on my reds from now on.

Dan & all that got their Chilian juice early:

Would you keep us informed of your weekly progress on your Chilian experience. I'm sure Mike would appreciate it also. I won't be getting mine till Consumers comes in at the end of the month & have never done any juice buckets. This way, we can keep notes as you progess about a month ahead of us on the different juices, we can choose between, raisins, grape packs, oak & whatever the more experienced makers have decided on.........
Thanks all....
Al

Dang Al I'll be drinking mine by the time you get yours. :)
A lot of what your asking about is a very individule thing. I mean maybe you like heavy oak but Julie doesn't. But yes we'll keep this post going.

I will probably be racking my reds on Sunday to a secondary for the MLF. They are moving along a lot quicker then the whites. I might have to run out and get another culture as I am contemplating on whether to do an MLF on my Zinfandel as I was going to sweeten it. Vic has me doulble thinking this now. :a1

Well I didn't get a Carmenere but I did get a Malbec, so did Dan. So my idea was Dan is doing a MLF on the Malbec and I decided not to cuz I want to taste the difference.

Dan, I am putting American Oak for about 2 months in this, are you adding oak to yours?

I got 4 buckets, Malbec, Muscato, Sauvignon Blanc and Reisling.

I am putting an american med oak in after MLF. I will leave it in until it sinks. By that time I believe most of the oak will be suck out of the chips anyways.

I am putting an american med oak in after MLF. I will leave it in until it sinks. By that time I believe most of the oak will be suck out of the chips anyways.

Time it, I am curious as to how long it takes to sink. I'm lettimg mine in for 2 months, taste, and if I like the taste I will remove then. I have a blackberry aging right now that has Hungarian oak cubes in it for 4 weeks right now and they don't look like they have any idea that they are suppose to sink.

Last edited:
Good idea, Al. Thanks for your comments Julie and Dan. Keep the info coming as this is uncharted water for me (and Al).

I did MLF on my Chianti last year and it was very good. I was considering trying this years batch without MLF but I'm not sure. I may order 2 packs of culture from George, no where locally to get it. I will do the French Medium toast oak again. I used an ounce for about 6-7 weeks. I put it in when I started MLF and removed it once complete. I like taste with that amount as neither myself or my wife are big on heavily oaked wines.

If you're able to make the may get together, I'll have a bottle of the Chianti and Cab Franc open.

How do you know when MLF is complete? I've ordered two buckets of Lubabella's chilean juice from their Michigan distributor but will not see them until 4/15. I know, you guys will be drinking yours already. My test equipment consists of a hydrometor and thermometer. Do I need more test equipment if I'm doing a fresh juice and potentially MLF? Or just blindly throw in MLF culture and let it run for 5 weeks before adding Kmeta?

Doug,
I was just getting ready to check with you to see if South Hills Brewing carries the MLF culture. You just answered my question. Do you guys use oak chips, cubes, spirals or what.

I use cubes. You can get them at Luva Bella's when you pick up your wine. Actually, I was surpised that they had quite a list of supplies on hand that you can buy.

Doug,
I was just getting ready to check with you to see if South Hills Brewing carries the MLF culture. You just answered my question. Do you guys use oak chips, cubes, spirals or what.

I used the cubes in my Chilean juices and the spirals in my California juice. Last year was a first for my purchasing juices so I really can't say one way or another which is better. I did like the French medium toast over the American medium toast.

Just wondering, since I prefer a medium sweet wine over dry, what do the majority do with the Chilian juice buckets?? Leave dry, or back sweeten???
I just don't care for a dry wine currently, neither does momma, perhaps that might change in the future but we like the wines that are sweeter for now...
Or is it just like any other wine, sweeten it if you like, not a right or wrong way to make it? This is one of the benifits in making your own wine, you can suit your taste, kinda like grilling a steak, some like it rare, medium or well done! Just because you like it a certain way doesn't make it wrong......
Al :tz :db

You are absolutely right, Al. Whatever you like, is the best way to make it. Personally, I like drier wines so I will not be backsweetening my Carmenere.

Good News for western PA/Eastern Ohio folks. This is an email I just recieved from Luva Bella's.

Bello Chilean

Thank you for your orders of Bello Chilean. The response has been so good this spring that we have been bringing trucks in each week. We have another truck scheduled this week so we will be able to cover all your orders. Please pick up your juice: Mon- Thurs from 11:00am TO 4:00pm, Fri 11 to 6, and Sat 11 to 3. The kitchen and lounge are open Thurs, Fri &Sat.

Some of you told me that you were able to pick up your juice until the end of April beginning of May. That is ok. If you need to pick up past May 7th, you need to let us know. I will call those with pre-orders left in our book but our policy is all buckets goes on the extra list after May 14th. We should have a lot of extras and will be selling juice into June.

Kitchen and lounge

We are upgrading our kitchen and the improvements are taking longer than expected. What else is new with contractors? We are and should be offering more than pizza, sandwiches and salads. We have been offering Baked Orange Roughy on Fridays.

Chilian juice from Consumers in the Burg?

Any word on when the juice will be ariving from Consumers Produce in the Burg?? R they running a little behind or should I just drive up to Luva Bella??

Al: a1

Maybe Luve Bella is rerouting those trucks, you know the paid detour!!!!! Bwaaaaahaaaahaaaa!

Any word on when the juice will be ariving from Consumers Produce in the Burg?? R they running a little behind or should I just drive up to Luva Bella??

Al: a1

I would drive up to Luva Bella. The experience would be worth it. Just make sure you're there at lunch time and get a sandwich. They are not open mon and tue.

Wade that was pretty funny.

Latest posts

Back