Chilean vs California vs South African fresh juice pails

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clent724

Junior
Reaction score
Wine season is around the corner and I cannot decide where to get juice pails from. I'm leaning towards Barbera juice. I can get Chilean Barbera from Luva Bella winery. I can also get South African barbera from CFP in Pittsburgh. In the fall I can get California Barbera also from consumers.

I'm undecided if I should get the Chilean or South African now or do another variety and wait until the fall for California Barbera. Does anyone have any input on to which region they'd suggest and have had the most luck with? Is one more watered down than the other possibly? Is one balanced better? Fresher? Etc.

Thank you

Wine season is around the corner and I cannot decide where to get juice pails from. I'm leaning towards Barbera juice. I can get Chilean Barbera from Luva Bella winery. I can also get South African barbera from CFP in Pittsburgh. In the fall I can get California Barbera also from consumers.

I'm undecided if I should get the Chilean or South African now or do another variety and wait until the fall for California Barbera. Does anyone have any input on to which region they'd suggest and have had the most luck with? Is one more watered down than the other possibly? Is one balanced better? Fresher? Etc.

Thank you
My anecdotal experience is I have never had juice from South Africa, so I have no data. I have had Chilean juice, one year it was outstanding the next year not so good. California seems to be more consistent and may cost a little more. I am not sure if L'uva Bella has Barbera from Italy in the Fall, but that would be my choice. My experience with juices from Italy has been both consistent and excellent.

BTW, where are you in "da 'Burgh?"

There isn’t one answer.
? Who is the supplier? / where does the supplier source their juice?

Over five years I have been amazed how consistent the gravity on juice can be, 1.088 to 1.091 with an average of 1.090. I have looked at TA and pH numbers and guessed that the crop was hot climate with low TA and OK pH. ,,,, And then purchasing switched to a lower cost supplier and magically the gravity of all varieties ranged from 1.082 to 1.083 with high YAN numbers that suggest dilution with a DAP solution.

Summary: the vendor knows what they are selling. You have to ask what the numbers are.

My anecdotal experience is I have never had juice from South Africa, so I have no data. I have had Chilean juice, one year it was outstanding the next year not so good. California seems to be more consistent and may cost a little more. I am not sure if L'uva Bella has Barbera from Italy in the Fall, but that would be my choice. My experience with juices from Italy has been both consistent and excellent.

BTW, where are you in "da 'Burgh?"
I am very close to Brownsville, which is about 1 hour south of Pittsburgh.

Luva Bella is almost 2 hours for me but we have family in Niles OH so that's like a 2 for 1 deal for us.

I am very close to Brownsville, which is about 1 hour south of Pittsburgh.

Luva Bella is almost 2 hours for me but we have family in Niles OH so that's like a 2 for 1 deal for us.
I cannot comment on red juice buckets since I'm not a fan. I have always found them to be thin low bodied wines. Whites on the other hand I have no issue with although I would rather make them from grapes as well.

I see from some of your earlier posts you do make wine from grapes which I can comment on. S. African grapes come in in pretty good condition. Sometimes a little mold (very little) which I can sort out. Chilean grapes have always looked like they were picked yesterday. Mine come from Gino Pinto in New Jersey which think has some affiliation with CFP.

I've not done a Barbera but S. African Cab Sauv in 19, 20 and 21. All of which are wonderful. In 2020 I also did a Shiraz which was blended with 17% Cab.

2019 was my first experience with Chilean grapes which I did a Pinot Noir. In 2022 another Pinot Noir which is soon getting bottled and a Cab Sauv aging nicely in a barrel.

I would highly recommend, if you could, go the grape route for the southern hemisphere, you won't be disappointed.

I cannot comment on red juice buckets since I'm not a fan. I have always found them to be thin low bodied wines. Whites on the other hand I have no issue with although I would rather make them from grapes as well.

I see from some of your earlier posts you do make wine from grapes which I can comment on. S. African grapes come in in pretty good condition. Sometimes a little mold (very little) which I can sort out. Chilean grapes have always looked like they were picked yesterday. Mine come from Gino Pinto in New Jersey which think has some affiliation with CFP.

I've not done a Barbera but S. African Cab Sauv in 19, 20 and 21. All of which are wonderful. In 2020 I also did a Shiraz which was blended with 17% Cab.

2019 was my first experience with Chilean grapes which I did a Pinot Noir. In 2022 another Pinot Noir which is soon getting bottled and a Cab Sauv aging nicely in a barrel.

I would highly recommend, if you could, go the grape route for the southern hemisphere, you won't be disappointed.
I've done Chilean grapes in 2021. Carmenere/Sarah blend which turned out excellent. It is already gone unfortunately. I didn't make enough of it.

I agree there's no contest when it comes to grapes/juice but I was just trying to save a little money. I'm gonna be off work for a month so just saving where I can. Last Thursday I had a panniculectomy (excess skin removed around my stomach). Prior to my gastric sleeve surgery i was 528 lbs but am now 234 lbs and it's become a big problem.

Anyway, I don't believe CFP offers South African grapes for some reason, just juice I am almost sure. At CFP barbera isn't an option from Chili but Luva Bella does offer it. I assume it's a different supplier in Chili.

I'm leaning towards Barbera juice. I can get Chilean Barbera from Luva Bella winery.
I've gotten some good Chilean juice from Luva (my Carmenere and Pinot are coming along nicely-1 yr in Carboy getting ready to bottle soon) and some 'thin' Chilean Cab Sav, but I believe that is the way the juice came in (I'd love to know the backstory on these juices). Barbera has been on my mind lately, and I'm holding off until the fall when the Italian juice comes in, in the hopes it will be great...also there should be California Barbera at Luva too. Now that I typed this, maybe I'll rethink and get a pail of Barbera now and in the fall to compare. Hmmm

Walkers juice is a couple hours drive from you, and they have some juices available, but on last check, no Barbera. https://walkerswinejuice.com/retail/home/

I've gotten some good Chilean juice from Luva (my Carmenere and Pinot are coming along nicely-1 yr in Carboy getting ready to bottle soon) and some 'thin' Chilean Cab Sav, but I believe that is the way the juice came in (I'd love to know the backstory on these juices). Barbera has been on my mind lately, and I'm holding off until the fall when the Italian juice comes in, in the hopes it will be great...also there should be California Barbera at Luva too. Now that I typed this, maybe I'll rethink and get a pail of Barbera now and in the fall to compare. Hmmm

Walkers juice is a couple hours drive from you, and they have some juices available, but on last check, no Barbera. https://walkerswinejuice.com/retail/home/
My wife and I make a trip up Erie every fall. We've went to walkers for the past few years except for 2023. We tried Mobilia and I was very happy. Their juices aren't balanced like Walker's but the quality was excellent and the guy was very knowledgeable as well. I was there opening day and decided on a 12 gallon diamon/6 gallon Fredonia blend. It is crystal clear and looks amazing. I'm not a sweet wine drinker but my wife is excited for it.

My wife and I make a trip up Erie every fall. We've went to walkers for the past few years except for 2023. We tried Mobilia and I was very happy. Their juices aren't balanced like Walker's but the quality was excellent and the guy was very knowledgeable as well. I was there opening day and decided on a 12 gallon diamon/6 gallon Fredonia blend. It is crystal clear and looks amazing. I'm not a sweet wine drinker but my wife is excited for it.
Mobilia. This farm is new to me. I looked them up and found their Facebook page. They look like an interesting site to visit sometime this year (when they open up). Interestingly, we visited Stable Winery in Andover, OH this past weekend and my wife loved their Catawba and I see Mobilia grows Catawba grapes. I may have to try my hand with a 'local' grape this year. Thank you for the review and new suggestion!

Thank you
I have made South African whites, Sauvignon Blanc, Semellion blend very successfully. Pinotage from SA has also been good for both me and some friends.
My Chilean reds from juice have been good. I have been blending my Chilean juice buckets in recent years, mostly Bordeaux style blends. That has produced some nice wines. I am aware that 2 yrs ago the Chilean harvest was not great due to weather issues.

Latest posts

Back