Chilean Juices at L'uva Bella in Youngstown, OH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made 3 of these last spring. Bottled carmenere and reisling couple weeks ago and both were very good. I picked mine up at the agway in greenville pa. They arrived last year in early april, vic

Hi Vic, Welcome to the "club". I'm considering purchasing the Chilean Carmenere this spring. Did you make any additions to yours to change it's structure (i.e. grape pack, raisins, oak, etc.)? How did your finished product stack up to a High End box kit? Assuming that you've made one, of course.

Thanks!

Hi Vic, Welcome to the "club". I'm considering purchasing the Chilean Carmenere this spring. Did you make any additions to yours to change it's structure (i.e. grape pack, raisins, oak, etc.)? How did your finished product stack up to a High End box kit? Assuming that you've made one, of course.

Thanks!

i didn't add anything and it is good. Others add things like raisens etc. Haven't made a high end kit so can't compare. This year i may add the raisens so i can compare.

Discovered today that Macomb Vinter Supply in the greater Detroit area is distributer of the Luva Bella juices. A big plus is they have a planned delivery day to the Grand Rapids, MI area on 4/15. Their prices are higher than those able to get it directly from Luva Bella but beats a 12 hour round trip drive Spring Lake.

From Macomb Vintner Supply:

First the Good News:
Chilean Juice prices are the same as last year.
Chilean Reds: $62
Chilean Whites: $60

Ordering deadline is Friday April 8, 2010.
Juice will arrive to me on Friday, April 15, 2010

http://www.MacombVintnerSupply.com

I contacted L'uva Bella winery to see what was required for their juice buckets and here was their reply:

"The juice is already balanced with the yeast needed. The instructions talk about fermenting the juice by mixing the yeast and getting your juice up to 76degrees. When desired sweetness is obtained, you are then to add potassium metabisulfate and sorbate. We sell premeasured packets of these chemicals for $1.00. You are to add this after transferring into a carboy and then place your wine in a cool place........."

They haven't received their first shipment yet, have they?

Not yet, I want to get my order in. From what you reported earlier, they'll have it 2-3 weeks before thier satelitte distributors. Plus I want to pick up some Orange Muscat while I am there, and the food not so bad either.

I may go up on Friday. I need another carboy and that's a good excuse to make the trip.

I just got back from L'uva Bella's picking up this years Chilean Juice. It was nice Meeting Julie and her Husband there for lunch. Both the owner and there wine maker spent a considerable amount of time with us talking about wine making and wine in general. Of coarse they kept giving us samples until we told them we had enough and wanted to eat. We were the first two people there and they were starting to get rather busy when we left. Below are a few of the pictures I took inside of their cooler. You can also order the juice in 55 gallon drums if you wish. They decided not to sell grapes this year.

IMG_20110325_104759.jpg

IMG_20110325_104827.jpg

IMG_20110325_104855.jpg

Kevin I asked Charles who was helping getting the pails and he did not have an answer except to say you'll save on packaging. He said they pay $6 for each pail and $25 for each drum. On a 55 gal drum I am guessing that equates to a $25 savings in container cost. If thats only savings I don't know. You could give them a call as they are getting another shipment in. The drums they have, I am not sure if they're being held for someone or if they're for their own use.

Dan, I was just curious about pricing. I did order some Chilean grapes
from Consumers Produce today. Suppose to be in the first or second week
in May.

Yeah, I just got the email. But I don't do Facebook. But I do get their emails.

I got the email and since Dan has, also got the email one of us can always post up here what specials they have going.

Good idea Flem. I dont do Facebook anymore either. Dont care what anyone here says, I received a virus there!!!!

Dan and/or Julie, (or anybody who has done a Carmenere juice bucket) I haven't picked up my Carmenere juice bucket yet but I want to be prepared for when I do. Are you planning to do a MLF on it? Are you going to use oak, grape pack, raisins. I saw where George has Grape packs with either cabernet or syrah grapes--not too sure which I would/should use. Where can I get a MLF culture? Would it be available locally? Keep good notes for me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back