Quantcast

CH16 vs VP41

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

FTC Wines

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
57 looks & NO responses, so I'll give it a GO! I have limited MLF experience, but this is the second year I. Have used CH 16 & I/we have been very pleased. 6 days later MLF doing very. Well. Roy

heatherd

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have only used VP41, so I can't compare the two.

FTC Wines

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, Heather, I've only used CH16 so we may need to do a taste off in a year or so!! But remember I'm a new bee at MLF's. Roy

ceeaton

Sixth year
Reaction score
I've used both, they both work (reduce malic acid into lactic acid). They have a wide range of pH tolerance as well as SO2 tolerance. One is cheaper than the other, so I've been using the cheaper one when available. I can't compare flavor profiles because that would necessitate splitting a batch and pitching each in a different batch, and I'm cheap, not spending $55+ to run an experiment. If you run one let us know which one you like better.

derekjames100

Reaction score
I've used both, they both work (reduce malic acid into lactic acid). They have a wide range of pH tolerance as well as SO2 tolerance. One is cheaper than the other, so I've been using the cheaper one when available. I can't compare flavor profiles because that would necessitate splitting a batch and pitching each in a different batch, and I'm cheap, not spending $55+ to run an experiment. If you run one let us know which one you like better.

Do you just sprinkle CH16 in? Or do you go through the acti ml opti malo song and dance

ceeaton

Sixth year
Reaction score
Do you just sprinkle CH16 in? Or do you go through the acti ml opti malo song and dance
I do the Acti-ML dance to rehydrate, but don't add anything after that. If I only have one or two carboys to inoculate, I use the whole amount and split it between the carboys. You can thief some wine from the carboys to make some room, just add the MLB + Acti-ML starter slowly or you'll get a nice wine volcano messing up your floor.

I'll add that I've never had the MLF fail, but I have slowed it down by not stirring on a regular basis (twice or so a week).

FTC Wines

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Derek, I just sprinkled the enz on top of my wine, it worked fine. Fermenting very slowly but working fine, Roy.

Latest posts