CH16 vs VP41

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
57 looks & NO responses, so I'll give it a GO! I have limited MLF experience, but this is the second year I. Have used CH 16 & I/we have been very pleased. 6 days later MLF doing very. Well. Roy

I've used both, they both work (reduce malic acid into lactic acid). They have a wide range of pH tolerance as well as SO2 tolerance. One is cheaper than the other, so I've been using the cheaper one when available. I can't compare flavor profiles because that would necessitate splitting a batch and pitching each in a different batch, and I'm cheap, not spending $55+ to run an experiment. If you run one let us know which one you like better.

I've used both, they both work (reduce malic acid into lactic acid). They have a wide range of pH tolerance as well as SO2 tolerance. One is cheaper than the other, so I've been using the cheaper one when available. I can't compare flavor profiles because that would necessitate splitting a batch and pitching each in a different batch, and I'm cheap, not spending $55+ to run an experiment. If you run one let us know which one you like better.

Do you just sprinkle CH16 in? Or do you go through the acti ml opti malo song and dance

Do you just sprinkle CH16 in? Or do you go through the acti ml opti malo song and dance

I do the Acti-ML dance to rehydrate, but don't add anything after that. If I only have one or two carboys to inoculate, I use the whole amount and split it between the carboys. You can thief some wine from the carboys to make some room, just add the MLB + Acti-ML starter slowly or you'll get a nice wine volcano messing up your floor.

I'll add that I've never had the MLF fail, but I have slowed it down by not stirring on a regular basis (twice or so a week).

Latest posts

Back