Certificate vs bachelors

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which program do I go with

• Certificate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bachelors

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

SugarStewie

Junior
Reaction score
Looking to become a Head winemaker somewhere in the future and wondering if anybody has had any problems with getting a job depending on having a certificate vs bachelors in winemaking. Looking at both from UCD and just don’t know what my next step should be

Looking to become a Head winemaker somewhere in the future and wondering if anybody has had any problems with getting a job depending on having a certificate vs bachelors in winemaking. Looking at both from UCD and just don’t know what my next step should be
I know a few pro winemakers as I'm just lucky and live an hour south of Napa/Sonoma. My understanding is that the biggest question is educated via school (UCD obviously the biggest/best known program) vs. learned on the job. So if you already have on the job training, then probably simply adding a UCD certificate would be more than enough. But if you are trying to get into the industry with no pro experience, then the bachelors makes more sense. Especially if you haven't been to college and are interested in it (UCD is a great school, not just for wine makers).

Most of my winemaker friends fell into it via parents, spouses, homewinemaking, friends, getting a winery job, but one was a pro. chef trained at the CIA in NY worked at great restaurants for over 10 years, then took community college science classes in order to qualify to go to UCD for winemaking. She's now been doing winemaking for 20+ years, it got her in where she did not have an in, but she's the exception of the folks I know. But many of the others won the genetic lottery or had other connections.

I know a few pro winemakers as I'm just lucky and live an hour south of Napa/Sonoma. My understanding is that the biggest question is educated via school (UCD obviously the biggest/best known program) vs. learned on the job. So if you already have on the job training, then probably simply adding a UCD certificate would be more than enough. But if you are trying to get into the industry with no pro experience, then the bachelors makes more sense. Especially if you haven't been to college and are interested in it (UCD is a great school, not just for wine makers).

Most of my winemaker friends fell into it via parents, spouses, homewinemaking, friends, getting a winery job, but one was a pro. chef trained at the CIA in NY worked at great restaurants for over 10 years, then took community college science classes in order to qualify to go to UCD for winemaking. She's now been doing winemaking for 20+ years, it got her in where she did not have an in, but she's the exception of the folks I know. But many of the others won the genetic lottery or had other connections.
Thank you for the advice! I do have 1 harvest under my belt and have been helping out an old timer in his vineyard currently for the past few weeks

Welcome to WMT

To be a good winemaker you need to be “skilled in the art”. I can see several directions that grow knowledge of the art. As @Gilmango noted, having grandparents that were skilled in the art is a good way, and I would be tempted to say the best way since as a four year old you would be exposed to “this taste means~~ this issue”.
There are many skills that a good winemaker has. They will range from understanding vendors who want to sell you a product (chemistry or microbiology) to putting a budget together or documenting a worker who needs to get fired.

No matter which degree you look at you will not have all the tools and will have to continue to learn every new variety and new chemical and crop year. Having been R&D dealing with customer problems, it felt like I was relearning the rules every few months/ customer phone call. I have been amazed how often I found an answer by looking wider instead of only at the three or four details (customer understanding) in the initial phone call.

Last edited:
Welcome to WMT!!

I think which program you end up going with may depend on your current life experiences. If you are well versed in the Chemistry area, feel confident talking about reactions and organic chemistry, the certificate process may be the way to go. If you aren't and also maybe need some exposure to the business side of things the Bachelors is the way to go.

Perhaps the way to decide is visit a few wineries in your area, both large and small and sound out people who do what you think you want to do, maybe shadow them for a day or two, if that's at all possible. Find out what the folks who are already in the field believe is required and go from there. Good luck on your journey!!

Latest posts

Back