Storing freeze-dried malolactic bacteria

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthocyanin

Reaction score
This year will be my first year making wine from grapes and also first time doing MLF on any wine. I am planning on sourcing 150 lb of Pinot to make 8 gallons red + 1 gallon saignee rose. I'm also considering getting an additional 50 lb of Foch but undecided (also open to suggestions - is it even worth making Foch if I have access to Pinot?)

Anyway that's no more than 11 (finished) gallons of wine I'm planning on doing MLF on, and the freeze dried cultures like CH16 and Oenos 2.0 come in packs large enough to do 66 gallons. So obviously I won't be using all my malolactic culture this year. What I was wondering if anyone has had success storing freeze-dried malolactic cultures for the following year, if promptly taping the bag back up and storing in the back of your freezer? Or should I just trash the unused culture?

This year will be my first year making wine from grapes and also first time doing MLF on any wine. I am planning on sourcing 150 lb of Pinot to make 8 gallons red + 1 gallon saignee rose. I'm also considering getting an additional 50 lb of Foch but undecided (also open to suggestions - is it even worth making Foch if I have access to Pinot?)

Anyway that's no more than 11 (finished) gallons of wine I'm planning on doing MLF on, and the freeze dried cultures like CH16 and Oenos 2.0 come in packs large enough to do 66 gallons. So obviously I won't be using all my malolactic culture this year. What I was wondering if anyone has had success storing freeze-dried malolactic cultures for the following year, if promptly taping the bag back up and storing in the back of your freezer? Or should I just trash the unused culture?
I just ordered the the same thing and wondered the same thing. I've never done MLF but thought I'd try this year. I'll probably try to save it - close it back up and then put it in a vacuum seal bag. We'll see.

Using it all on one batch will quadrupel my per bottle cost ; )

I just ordered the the same thing and wondered the same thing. I've never done MLF but thought I'd try this year. I'll probably try to save it - close it back up and then put it in a vacuum seal bag. We'll see.

Using it all on one batch will quadrupel my per bottle cost ; )
I would also vacuum seal and throw it in the freezer.

I have wondered the same thing. I use the whole batch but I wonder if I could hold some back. Chr Hansen says the shelf life is 37 months when stored < 0F and 6 months when stored at 41F
So if you quickly vacuum seal the package and put it in the freezer it MIGHT last another year.

Question about adding Oenos 2.0, do I need to do anything special or can I just drop it on in there? or should I make a distilled water mix and measure out or something? I am not companion planting, but I would like to get it in asap, and before the primary is 100%

Question about adding Oenos 2.0, do I need to do anything special or can I just drop it on in there? or should I make a distilled water mix and measure out or something? I am not companion planting, but I would like to get it in asap, and before the primary is 100%
Take out of the freezer 15 minutes before using. You can either add directly to the wine, but most other bacteria instructions say to dissolve thouroughly in water for not longer than 15 minutes before adding to the wine.

I have wondered the same thing. I use the whole batch but I wonder if I could hold some back. Chr Hansen says the shelf life is 37 months when stored < 0F and 6 months when stored at 41F
So if you quickly vacuum seal the package and put it in the freezer it MIGHT last another year.
The general definition of shelf life is time where one doesn’t see loss in function or taste. This points to the period past that, if one goes past shelf life there would be sone loss of function. A typical shelf life is two years from date of manufacture.
In a live organism moisture is the problem. Vacuum sealing is best, wrap and tape is only good. The real stressor will be a home style refrigerator which does a defrost cycle. ,,, (run a small heater to melt frost every few hours) A chest freezer which can build up frost is best storage.

Latest posts

Back