RJ Spagnols Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mharris335

Reaction score
I started this kit in March 2009. I just bottled this weekend and was very impressed with this kit. It was still green, but had big black fruit tastes. My friend told me about this wine and I am very glad I made it. Has anyone made the other Winery Series? Thanks

I also bottled this kit this past weekend. I started mine in Sept. 2009 so it has not aged as much as yours. I did like what I tasted, but it will need another 6 to 9 months. I have not made any other of this make.

I started the Zin in September. First taste a couple weeks ago while adding more K-Meta to carboy waspromising. Again, way too green now but showed some nice promise. I can't wait. I really want to make the super tuscan next.

I have made almost everyone and they are all great, I think the Super Tuscan is better then the rest though. I think the Syrah is in second place.

I'm getting the kit for hubby's birthday.... Can anyone tell me if it is a bigger kit than normal? I was told it will produce more wine??

I doubt if the kit is any bigger (make more) than any of the other normal ones. They pretty much are all either 15 bottles or 30 bottles. The smaller ones are generally specialty wines such as icewine style or port.

Bigger means it contains more juice and you thus need to add LESS water. This usually means a higher quality wine in the end. Like Appleman said they all make 6 gallons unless its a Port or Dessert wine of sorts.

MaineGal said:
I'm getting the kit for hubby's birthday....  Can anyone tell me if it is a bigger kit than normal?  I was told it will produce more wine??

Ahh, I get it. Thanks.
Kind of like the Borolo I put together yesterday....More juice and required less water.

I would agree it's a high end kit that you get great wine from. It will take two years of ageing before you get the great wine from it.

I am wondering if anyone has made RJS Zin and the CC Zin? I have only made the CC Zin and loved it at 18 months. Would love to know how the RJS Zin held up to the CC.

I've tasted the CC Zin from a friend and it was awesome. I have the RJS Zin, and I can say that after 24 months, the spiciness that is typical of Zin is there in spades! I get compliments on this from my Zin drinking friends. I'm sure that both are equally good.

I pretty much love all the Winery Series. There is a lot of very good quality juice in these kits and a good amount of skins to ferment on also. Its been awhile since I opened a bottle of any of these with the exception of last weekend and they are all dropping a little bit of diamonds, not as much as an En Primeur but non the less its there.

Follow up on my kit. Just had another bottle last weekend. Wow this is getting good. Even more fruit and pepper this time. I am trying to stay away from drinking until after two years, but it's so good now.

Thats exactly the way I felt. I entered my last bottle in a local contest but was beat by one of the best wines Ive ever tasted which was made from grapes by a friend so I wasnt mad I did so and lost.

Just opened another bottle. Wow, is all I can say. This wine is one of the best ones I have made to date. Big fruit, with a hint of oak. I will make another one of these kits soon.

I bottled the Wine Expert Super Tuscan Last September, a few months after MHarris did the CC. Tried some Saturday night and it is getting really good I would not call it great yet. Would love to taste these two side by side.

Could not keep myself away from the next bottle I opened. It was calling my name really loud! It is better then most commercial wines in the $30 range. I am starting another one this weekend.

Has anyone made the Zin?

Mharris335 said:
Could not keep myself away from the next bottle I opened. It was calling my name really loud! It is better then most commercial wines in the $30 range. I am starting another one this weekend.

Why is it that their calling out to us just seems to get louder and louder as time goes by...
smiley2.gif

It isn't that well aged, yet, but already sounds super. Does it have any of its green taste left? Bet it will be much better by year number two.

"Better by year two" - Is there any chance you will ever find out?
smiley17.gif

Just kidding. Since you are starting another one this weekend, maybe you will be able to wait and find out.

Hey, congratulations on really scoring with a wine you love.

The more I read your link, the more I got'a make this wine!

I have almost every one. The zin is very good but Id say not as good as the Super Tuscan. Id rate the Syrah next and then the Rosso Grande. I just had to look and see the page and actually there are quite a few I havent made a they have added a few in the past few months.

Latest posts

Back