5 Different Kits, 5 Different Yeasts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how quick I will be to try another, but don't discount them completely. I believe @Jovimaple made the kit I wanted to make, and could possibly offer an opinion to balance the scales?

Not sure which kit you want to make, but I did make the Twisted Mist Piña Colada wine cooler kit. I shorted the water (about 5.5 US gallons instead of 6) and added sugar to raise the ABV. I wanted more coconut taste but it did turn out to be a nice white wine, and definitely sweet. We like sweet wines, so when I do kits like this, I do not add any of the flavor pack to primary as some folks do.

I have followed the same protocol for several other wine cooler kits - short the water and add sugar to bump up the ABV - and have had good results. I just did that with an Island Mist Black Raspberry (I believe it's a merlot base with a black raspberry flavor pack) and it turned out very good. We really like it but it is very sweet so if you don't like sweet wines, you may want to try adding some of the fpack to primary. I haven't done that ever, but others have posted about it.

I have always used the included yeast in these kits. I may need to try swapping that out sometime to experiment!

The only thing to keep in mind is that some yeasts require more nutrient. There is no harm in adding extra in steps, but you can run into trouble if you are short. I Just use boiled bakers yeast because I have expired bricks, and add a little as fermentation progresses to make sure they are all happy little yeasties. I wouldn't use DAP personally, it is described as yeast junk food, but there are lots of other options. Fermaid O or K are 2 I know of.

RC-212 is a nutrient hungry yeast and 1118 is on the other end of the spectrum, you can also make yeast choices based on nutrient requirements, too.

Honestly, I bought the kit because I tasted one in store. This one was supposed to be similar, but instead of a white wine base it was berry. I knew as soon as I poured it into primary I wouldn't like it. More of a spiked fruit punch, where the other one had a nice white base with a pina colada twist. Way more subtle and likable.

I don't know how quick I will be to try another, but don't discount them completely. I believe @Jovimaple made the kit I wanted to make, and could possibly offer an opinion to balance the scales?
You can always give the finished cheap wine kits to your adult kids (females - That was wrong). After all, they will drink almost anything. (Boones farm???)

You can always give the finished cheap wine kits to your adult kids (females - That was wrong). After all, they will drink almost anything. (Boones farm???)
Wouldn't work for me -- the children of a winemaker who grow up with it develop a palate early ... :)

Latest posts

Back