Big and Bold Competition (unofficial)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks,

Joe and I were kicking around the idea of doing another competition next year.

We discussed a theme, but it is a little premature to talk about it now.

I will, though, give you a little hint....

GreatWhite.jpg

Geeez...:slp

I was trying to throw them off. It's Great Whites!

Are you sure? It could also be ..

1) Wines with a big bite.
2) Fishy wines (insert Welch's reference here).
3) Wines that taste like bilge (insert yet another Welch's reference here).
4) Expensive wines (you need a loan shark to afford them).
5) Wines served at a performance of "west side story".
6) Wines preferred by Steven Spielberg.
7) Wines that need to swim in order to stay alive.
8) Wines that go great with most foods (they turn you from a man into an Eating machine).
9) Even Bigger and Bolder wines that will "Swallow you Whole".
10) Wines that go well with compressed air.

ok, #10 is a little far fetched.

Update

Folks,

The medals and scorecards (with judges comments on the back) were mailed out yesterday via USPS.

You should start receiving them in a couple of days.

I wish to go on record and say that this has been a true pleasure. I have entered a plethora of contests over the years and always wanted to host my own. Being able to choose the theme of wines that I truly enjoy was unbelievable! I am still quite impressed by the level of quality in those wines.

Thanks again to Joeswine for all of the help and support! I could not have asked for a better partner in all of this.

Thanks also to Austin Mclendon for the nice article posting!

That being said, I would like to ask one more favor of the kind folks that took part in this event....

Would it be all possible to have you post a picture of your award winning wines wearing the new "BLING" that is on its way to you? I think that would be really nice to see and also give you folks a chance to celebrate.

Last edited:
I think as a token of appreciation the next contest we as contestants should wrap a $5.00 bill around each bottle submitted. At least the judges could have a nice dinner on us...

Yes John, I'll happily take a picture of my award-winning wines. I'll even posting to my Facebook page.

@tuscan. I think that's a great idea!

I'll even volunteered to be a judge, even though I'm not any good at it.

On the subject of white, my cab is spot on but I'm very weak on whites. All my white kits are weak and thin, need to think out of the box. Next batch I'll add more raisins in the secondary but maybe I need to switch the yeast that comes with the kit. Both me and my wife like bold wine but haven't found a kit to our suiting. Suggestions?

There is just no reason for a white kit wine to be thin/weak. Unlike a red kit wine that may or may not come with a tiny grape pack to improve its mouthfeel and body a white wine gets pressed immediately off the skins once crushed and destemmed. Same as a kit wine. The only way for it to be thin is an inferior (cheap) kit or your topping up with water and not a like wine and watering down your wine.

It could also be that you are using a light varietal of grape.

Although not made from kits, I have found certain grapes rather thin in the end product and have stayed away after learning my lesson.

If not already, are you making varietals like Chardonnay or Sav Blanc?

So far My favorite is Luna Bianca and do a Sur Lie Battonage on it to really make it come out. Also on that one I switched out the yeast for D47.

Can't wait for the White... I have more to choose from.

Back