Big and Bold Competition (unofficial)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the nice complement John. :sm While I don't have a creative bone in my body, i do like pinup pictures from the days of old. :pic

Greg

It sure is Jim. Was gonna add a couple more grams of ft rouge but I didn't and regret it now cuz my notes say it was light on tannins. But I think I did pretty good for my first tweak ever:D. Thanks Joe your probably right because my notes say good mouthfeel and balance also from another judge. And hey to all you newcomers who wonder why we like to age in the carboy for a long period of time...I didn't even filter this one and on my notes I have nice color and clarity. THERES YOUR SIGN:r Thanks again for the medal!

I still need to get a pic of mine. How did my life get so busy?! It didn't used to be like this! :sl

Big and bold

QUESTION? now that this is behind us ,I would like some feed back as to how you felt the judging notes went and if they could have been more in depth from your point of view or what was it you didn't understand in your scoring , it's important to us who set these events up to understand that in the end it's not just the winning but the reasoning if any on how you scored :wy it's also interesting to note how close your where to each other in scoring from top to bottom, your feed back to us in important for the future contest...:HB I recently had a great discussion with one of the contestants about a wide variety of wine subjects and this came up and the conversation was excellent..so do you have any questions???

better penmanship :)You can't understand what you can't read and it was just one word, other than that it was all good thank you judges! :try

LOL @peaches9324: I had one of those too! :) Just one word as well, and I think I was able to figure it out. :D

All in all, I thought the scoring was good, and the comments helpful. More is always better in the comment category, but when you are going through 30+ wines, it's hard to provide very detailed feedback without taking a whole weekend to do it. I'd certainly enter again and am grateful for the feedback.

I would just like to know who the judges were from A-F so I can add them to my naughty or nice list. :ft

All kidding aside, I really enjoyed and appreciated all the notes. If I would make any changes, I would suggest the notes correspond with the judges letter. I have 4 comments on one and 3 on another. But I can't tell which judge wrote what so I can understand his/her score.
I also had a little problem with the penmanship, but my writing stinks too so I can't point fingers. (Would it be safe to say one of the judges is an engineer or architect?)

I can't tell you how much I appreciated all of the judges and especially JohnT for hosting. Any party, no matter how small can get expensive. Many thanks! Someone suggested next time we tape a $5 bill to each bottle. I think an entry fee to cover event costs is more than fair.

oh yeah, all drunk by then :p:dg:b

LOL

Nope, we used the slurp, swirl, spit method.
Even had the Mrs go out and get spit buckets just for the occasion*.
If hadn't used this method, we would all be dead!

* Side Note: I could not find any Welch's decals to stick on the side of the spit buckets.

I have a Merlot made from grapes currently in aging

Does that count as BIG and BOLD, Grapes are from California Fresno / Nappa Valley area.?

big bold and red

YES, I can understand the penmanship problem, however it wasn't easy to drink and write at the same time:)..that can be corrected, knowing who the judges are not a good idea and it shouldn't matter john and I had it under control:pty I think.Next time it will be better .you should consider making more blended wines it's a great category to work with, just a thought.
remember the great whites are coming!

Last edited:
I am so glad to see that you all liked the job we did.

With over 30 entries to judge, the writing of notes may have been a bit rushed (which might explain about the penmenship). For the next competition, I will instruct the judges to slow down and take more time.

Not having been involved in anything like this before I had no idea at all what to expect. I especially liked the way the scoring was done using that form and after a couple of glasses of wine I could read the comments just fine. :D

Latest posts

Back