Big and Bold Competition (unofficial)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the subject of white, my cab is spot on but I'm very weak on whites. All my white kits are weak and thin, need to think out of the box. Next batch I'll add more raisins in the secondary but maybe I need to switch the yeast that comes with the kit. Both me and my wife like bold wine but haven't found a kit to our suiting. Suggestions?

Can you name some of the ones you have done that are weak?

One that is inexpensive is a WE world vinyard Trinity White. "A unique blend of Colombard, Sauv Blanc and Semillon, combining lemon and grapefruit aromas with rounded fruit, redolent of melons and frsh figs to round out this crisp refreshing medium-bodied white."

It's a nice medium body. I switched the yeast to D47 and added some citrus. Came out pretty nice.

Can you name some of the ones you have done that are weak?

One that is inexpensive is a WE world vinyard Trinity White. "A unique blend of Colombard, Sauv Blanc and Semillon, combining lemon and grapefruit aromas with rounded fruit, redolent of melons and frsh figs to round out this crisp refreshing medium-bodied white."

It's a nice medium body. I switched the yeast to D47 and added some citrus. Came out pretty nice.

Lori,

Speaking just on grape varietals, I have found that Muscat, pinot grigio, Chenin blanc, and (especially) Thompson's seedless (which, IMHO, has no business being turned into wine in the first place) more thin/flat on flavor then, say chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, viognier or even a riesling.

I know that many will disagree, and I am simply expressing my tastes. Most years, I have made chardonnay and I do not know how much the chardonnays that I make influence my tastes for white as a whole (my chardonnay tends to be very strong and bold on flavor).

I am sure that I could have done plenty to enhance the flavor, but my thinking is "why not just start with a grape that has serious flavor in the first place?"

Bling bling! Thanks judges!!

PS: One comment on my Amarone read "slightly linear". I'm not sure exactly what that means - any help? :?

Great Photo Boatboy!!!!

Linear??? HMMMM.. Not one of my comments, but would guess that the judge thought that the wine could have a bit more complexity in flavor.

Still, that wine won a silver and this is nothing to sneeze at!

Lori,

Speaking just on grape varietals, I have found that Muscat, pinot grigio, Chenin blanc, and (especially) Thompson's seedless (which, IMHO, has no business being turned into wine in the first place) more thin/flat on flavor then, say chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, viognier or even a riesling.

I know that many will disagree, and I am simply expressing my tastes. Most years, I have made chardonnay and I do not know how much the chardonnays that I make influence my tastes for white as a whole (my chardonnay tends to be very strong and bold on flavor).

I am sure that I could have done plenty to enhance the flavor, but my thinking is "why not just start with a grape that has serious flavor in the first place?"

I have never tasted a table grape wine, but I'm sure they would be pretty darn flat. It takes a strong grape to survive the fermenting process and create it's own unique profile.
I've only been doing this a year and am just starting to double back around and remake some of my favorites. I think my taste are changing in the process. The blends or Chardonnay are good for simple crowd pleasing table wine However, am reaching more and more for a Pinot Grigio when it's just me. Oddly enough, I never used to be that big of a fan. I think the little tweaks like changing yeast or zest ing are just enough to keep it from being thin.
I used raisins in two of my early ones and they seem a little too heavy for a white now.

Got mine too. Told my wife I am prouder of these than any other medals. Thanks again John and Joe.

Great whites

I HAVE NEVER MADE A WHITE WINE THAT HADN'T TURNED OUT BALANCED,I ACTUALLY PREFER WHITES TO REDS IF THEIR IS A WHITE STYLE OUT THERE I HAVE MADE IT .AS FAR AS CHEAP KITS GO I'M NOT SO SURE THAT THEY ARE NOT A GOOD .KATE AND I MADE A CHARDONNAY AND IT TOOK FIRST PLACE AT GLASSBORO WINE COMPETITION.
OF COURSE WE TWEAKED IT!
TUSCON, VIOGNIER,IS THE KIT TO TRY AND TWEAK THIS IS A DECENT WINE WITH MEDIUM BODY AND FRUIT NOTES,TO MAKE IT DEEPER ,ADD A TOUCH OF OAK AND TO BE DISCUSSED LATER IF YOU WANT.
YOU'LL LIKE IT>>>>>>:hug

Big bold red

THE PICS ARE EXCELLENT KEEP SENDING THERE WERE 34 WINES .....................................:br

I only have 3 bottles of my wine left! I'll post a pic when I receive medal, was looking to get it today but will probably get it tomorrow

:dg:hh

A study in consistent judging. Left to right are a Cabernet Sauvignon first time out silver metal. Center is Red Mountain Trio, two golds. Far right is Amarone Tortorici 3 silvers. Testament to the fact that our six judges did an excellent job.

1414855983672.jpg

Well done Tony! What competition was the other Gold for the RMT?

Thanks Mike. The RMT gold was Missouri Valley 6th annual. No doubt that kit will go down as one of Cellar Crafts crowning achievements. Glad I latched onto two of them.

Last edited:
I can't wait to get back home on Tuesday so I can check my mail and read the notes. Seeing all these great pics is KILLING me.

Good job everyone!

got a question for the judges: In my notes it has - definite pealh with nice finish. Now what is pealh:a1 in winemaking terms?

Great whites

NOT , to disturb the flow but with whites just as much thought goes into the planning because in my oppion their isn't the structure or depth that a red wines has to work with, so the technique has to be good the starting product spot on and the process and sanitation prefect.
case in point,JOHNT Riesling served chilled it's crisp and very easy drinking, clear as a bell's ring and nice after taste a true Riesling.

JohnT's Reisling (1).jpg

JohnT's Reisling (3).jpg

JohnT's Reisling (4).jpg

Latest posts

Back