anyone identify this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was that jar full of wine when you put him in there? If so, probably ought to kill him. Wouldn't want any of those around here. Arne.

I think it's a bombadier beetle. Once had one in my sneaker. It exuded some sort of chemical that burnt the heck out of my foot. Always check my shoes now before putting them on, it hurt that much.

Brachinus_spPCCA20060328-2821B.jpg

craig -
from my end it looks very similar -

I hope we get an answer fast because this entire topic -

HAS REALLY BEEN BUGGING ME !! - LOL !

Actually Steve it would be Beetling you, not Bugging! ROFLMAO

What are the differences between bugs and beetles?
Bugs and beetles may sometimes look similar at first glance, but they belong to two quite different insect groups. Here are some features that can help distinguish between them.

Mouthparts

• Bugs: mouthparts modified into piercing stylet (i.e. needle-like).
  • Beetles: chewing mouthparts.
Wings

• Bugs: wings (if present) are membranous or partially thickened.
  • Beetles: forewings modified to form hard, leathery coverings called elytra, hindwings membranous and fold under elytra when not flying.
Diet

• Bugs: liquid diet: mostly plant-feeders (nectar/sap), some feeders on animal fluids.
  • Beetles: wide range of plant and animal materials eaten.
Lifecycle

• Bugs: incomplete metamorphosis - juveniles resemble adults except smaller and lack wings.
  • Beetles: complete metamorphosis - larvae with hardened head, chewing mouthparts and usually have legs.
Scientific classification

• Bugs: Order Hemiptera
  • Beetles: Order Coleoptera
OK now you can nuke me!

:rdo:rdo::::

Latest posts

Back