Sumac wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Collecting sumach seems to work better with loping shears. My experience is that the color is stable. And sumach tea is delicious.
I have a hook on a 4 ft dowel rod (useful tool!) and pulled the branches towards me, rather flexible. And I noticed the clusters were somewhat "slippery" so I handled them as little as possible.

I've made lemonade before but never tea. I'll have to try that!

Good to know about the color!

It looked like the biggest clusters were growing over the pond, darn it. To harvest I'd need to put the ladder in my canoe. :oops: :oops::oops:

Last edited:
@Newbie Mel I racked to bulk this morning. In a word, "Wow!" The pH actually rose to 3.08, still tart but it is a "lemonade". Sweetened some leftover and the fruit flavor exploded. Still very "berry" and I think I had a taste of strawberry. I made skeeter pee once and I don't think I'll make it again. This is going on the "annual" list for sure.

20231106_162359.jpg

@Newbie Mel I racked to bulk this morning. In a word, "Wow!" The pH actually rose to 3.08, still tart but it is a "lemonade". Sweetened some leftover and the fruit flavor exploded. Still very "berry" and I think I had a taste of strawberry. I made skeeter pee once and I don't think I'll make it again. This is going on the "annual" list for sure.

View attachment 107232
That looks so yummy!! Good thing I don’t live close to you because I’d be knocking at your door every night to have a taste of your creations.

I neglected to mention something - recipes say not to heat the berries. Well, I poured 130F water over them. I wonder if that little bit of heat extracted extra color? That was my intention.

You're too kind. I may not be the master of foraged wines but maybe the master of being cheap! 😅 And I've got my eyes on the berries of my Devil's Walking Stick trees. Berries edible, seeds toxic. They actually taste good, remind me of blueberries, and the birds LOVE them. That darn "toxic" thing is holding me back.

View attachment 106047
I’d pass on the invitation to walk with the Devil! ;) There are many other non-toxic things to ferment.! 😂

View attachment 107232
That looks great. I’ve made 3 different batches of Sumac. Some with added lemon, Orange juice and raisins. One a Melomel. All are quite pleasant. The one that I steeped with stems in hot water( exactly what I read Not to do!) was super tannic.. and a bugger to ferment. I used a cuvée yeast - and it would barely perk. I added some dregs of a nice solid Grape wine I had made and it took off.
The cold steeped version is milder - with less zing. The 3rd batch i had fewer berries so I mixed with wild Grape and it was a great combination.
In my informal tastings with friends, the Sumac wine has been a standout favorite. I didn’t make it this year but I hope to make it next season.

. The one that I steeped with stems in hot water( exactly what I read Not to do!) was super tannic.. and a bugger to ferment.
I have wondered about stem tannin? Is it a hard tannin/ bitter flavor notes like grape seed tannin? or is it a soft tannin/ astringent flavor notes? I am always looking for sources of soft tannins.

I’d pass on the invitation to walk with the Devil! ;) There are many other non-toxic things to ferment.! 😂
I'm actually a bit sorry I didn't try it this year. The amount of flavor in just a couple berries was phenomenal! Next year?

For those who aren't familiar with it, the Devil's Walking Stick is a small tree, 10-20 ft high, densely covered with small thorns. Bare handed touching is not recommended.

That looks great. I’ve made 3 different batches of Sumac. Some with added lemon, Orange juice and raisins. One a Melomel. All are quite pleasant. The one that I steeped with stems in hot water( exactly what I read Not to do!) was super tannic.. and a bugger to ferment. I used a cuvée yeast - and it would barely perk. I added some dregs of a nice solid Grape wine I had made and it took off.
The cold steeped version is milder - with less zing. The 3rd batch i had fewer berries so I mixed with wild Grape and it was a great combination.
In my informal tastings with friends, the Sumac wine has been a standout favorite. I didn’t make it this year but I hope to make it next season.
When to harvest the sumac is apparently important, also. Mine were gathered after about 3 weeks of no rain and I remember them feeling slippery.

What is the safe number of seeds? Zero?

Makes me think of Russian Roulette with food ...
As it turns out it's another "pharmacy" plant with dozens of uses - toothaches, antibacterial, and the dried leaves are an antidepressant.

The berries, which I think are delicious, are eaten by birds, fox, raccoons, and black bear. The seeds are "mildly" toxic not poisonous and cooking negates the toxicity. Too bad I didn't read that sooner. I'll do more research and think about it again next year.

My castor plants are another matter - 4 seeds are the lethal dose for an adult.

Foraging is serious business.

I have wondered about stem tannin? Is it a hard tannin/ bitter flavor notes like grape seed tannin? or is it a soft tannin/ astringent flavor notes? I am always looking for sources of soft tannins.
It was an intense dry the back of your throat kind..I added a bit of dark black coffee to give it a fuller flavor- more tannins- but the kind I like. - It mellowed nicely after a second ferment with wild grape dregs.
A small amount of stems might be a great addition for tannin.?!

When to harvest the sumac is apparently important, also. Mine were gathered after about 3 weeks of no rain and I remember them feeling slippery.
It is hard to time it ( especially if they aren’t on your property..) and they ripen at different rates in sun/ shade. They are an odd “berry and yes, slippery feeling with those little hairs.
I was desperate for Sumac and used some that seemed to be on the edge of old:}
They looked pretty yucky, but they made a fine brew. I am always looking to source them- because I think there are male and female plants and the production is not consistent year to year. I wish I had sourced some this year and put them in the freezer for a more bountiful production next year.:}

It is hard to time it ( especially if they aren’t on your property..) and they ripen at different rates in sun/ shade. They are an odd “berry and yes, slippery feeling with those little hairs.
I was desperate for Sumac and used some that seemed to be on the edge of old:}
They looked pretty yucky, but they made a fine brew. I am always looking to source them- because I think there are male and female plants and the production is not consistent year to year. I wish I had sourced some this year and put them in the freezer for a more bountiful production next year.:}
From what I've read a lot of the flavor and acid is water soluble so picking after a recent rain is not a good idea.

And I'm with you - next year I'll be more vigilant. Harvest and store!

If sumac lasts through the winter, can it still be harvested? I'm late to this great but am interested in trying a small batch. I live in zone 7.

Back