Blackberries, black raspberries and other similar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For whatever reason, I haven’t liked the taste of a wine in which I added something to increase pH. It tastes a little metallic or of minerals. Just me. And definitely increase the fruit level.
Ditto. I've totally frogged wines trying to reduce acid / increase pH.

All the advice given so far has been solid.

@Newbie Mel, pH test strips provide reasonable answers. When you can justify a pH meter, it's worth it, but you can do fine without.

Thank you all! I am happy to hear that it is not advisable to try and raise ph with chemicals and that I may not even being looking to raise it, but possibly lower it with acid. So much to learn! I have about 5 years before I can retire and take this hobby to the next level. Plan is to take that time to learn and when I get a little better to invest in some things like a ph meter and an all in one pump 😊. I absolutely hate racking and bottling. I usually have to take a few sips to get me in the right state of mind to rack. Bottling is somewhat more fun because then it’s clear and not so worried about pulling in gunk.

I highly recommend the AIO pump! Hubby agrees because he no longer has to assist with bottling or racking much anymore! 😁

If you do not already have an automatic siphon, I recommend getting one. That was a game changer (and not a budget buster) for racking for me before I got my AIO. I still use it to rack into my bottling bucket at bottling time, since the AIO will work only when the receiving container is airtight so it can pull a vacuum.

I have one for gallon size batches that I got first, but I mostly use this one for all my wines now: https://www.amazon.com/Fermtech-Reg...TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1

It will work with a bottling attachment, as well.

When I rack, I worry more about making sure I have a full carboy than keeping ALL the lees out. I also don't generally rack much after I have it off the gross lees, unless I have a reason like I am backsweetening the batch. (I do periodically add kmeta and make sure the airlock stays full, if I haven't switched the batch to a vented bung yet.)

Then at bottling time, I use my auto-siphon to rack into a sanitized fermenting bucket, and at that time I am careful to leave behind any lees. Then I bottle from the bucket.

Last edited:
I highly recommend the AIO pump! Hubby agrees because he no longer has to assist with bottling or racking much anymore! 😁

If you do not already have an automatic siphon, I recommend getting one. That was a game changer (and not a budget buster) for racking for me before I got my AIO. I still use it to rack into my bottling bucket at bottling time, since the AIO will work only when the receiving container is airtight so it can pull a vacuum.

I have one for gallon size batches that I got first, but I mostly use this one for all my wines now: https://www.amazon.com/Fermtech-Regular-Siphon-Tubing-clear/dp/B00AYHS7ZY/ref=sxin_21_pa_sp_phone_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.3a670f0e-4c35-45bf-aa2a-dad4fee628ef:amzn1.sym.3a670f0e-4c35-45bf-aa2a-dad4fee628ef&crid=VSO9X04DZMZR&cv_ct_cx=auto+siphon&keywords=auto+siphon&pd_rd_i=B00AYHS7ZY&pd_rd_r=dba2fb60-3fe1-40fd-b406-a8fbf51a7756&pd_rd_w=v77c5&pd_rd_wg=N8io4&pf_rd_p=3a670f0e-4c35-45bf-aa2a-dad4fee628ef&pf_rd_r=9EK9Y984H1KQHZAFQT6Z&qid=1688480462&sprefix=auto+siph,aps,205&sr=1-4-2b34d040-5c83-4b7f-ba01-15975dfb8828-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1

It will work with a bottling attachment, as well.

When I rack, I worry more about making sure I have a full carboy than keeping ALL the lees out. I also don't generally rack much after I have it off the gross lees, unless I have a reason like I am backsweetening the batch. (I do periodically add kmeta and make sure the airlock stays full, if I haven't switched the batch to a vented bung yet.)

Then at bottling time, I use my auto-siphon to rack into a sanitized fermenting bucket, and at that time I am careful to leave behind any lees. Then I bottle from the bucket.
@Jovimaple I have a mini auto-siphon that came with a kit for making gallon batches. I have never been able to get it to work correctly. Looses siphon and gets full of air. I figured I was probably a user error and eventually got too frustrated and gave up on it. Do you think the regular size one works better than the mini? Or is it just me 😂

@Jovimaple I have a mini auto-siphon that came with a kit for making gallon batches. I have never been able to get it to work correctly. Looses siphon and gets full of air. I figured I was probably a user error and eventually got too frustrated and gave up on it. Do you think the regular size one works better than the mini? Or is it just me 😂
If you pump it a few times and the end of it stays in liquid in the carboy, you shouldn't lose siphon. If it is losing it, you may have a faulty one.

I bought a clip that fits around the outside and then clips to the top of the carboy, to hold it in position.

Here's a picture of it when I racked my barbera juice pail contents into my bigger fermenter (please excuse the mess 😁) - the clip fits inside the carboy opening, too:View attachment 103019

Attachments

• IMG_8377.jpeg
    IMG_8377.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Before I got my AIO pump, I used an auto siphon similar to the one that @Jovimaple recommends. Mine fits into the neck of a 1-gallon carboy. It works very well. I also had a bottle filler that I can attach to the auto siphon. It helps you to fill the bottles to the right level.
Sounds like I just need to practice more. Tried with water today and still having same issues. But I’m convinced it me and user error because everyone says good things about auto siphon.
If you pump it a few times and the end of it stays in liquid in the carboy, you shouldn't lose siphon. If it is losing it, you may have a faulty one.

I bought a clip that fits around the outside and then clips to the top of the carboy, to hold it in position.

Here's a picture of it when I racked my barbera juice pail contents into my bigger fermenter (please excuse the mess 😁) - the clip fits inside the carboy opening, too:View attachment 103019
I just ordered one with a clamp from Amazon. I figure if I still have challenges I can get a refund. Now I just need a better area to work in. We have this back room that will work great as soon as I can convince my husband to renovate 🤣. The room has a useless shower that we use only twice a year or so to bathe our dog. Plus a utility sink. Oh man, I’m getting ahead of myself now 😂

@Jovimaple you want to see a mess? This is what I’m talking about renovating to my winemaking space. Ah, some day 🥴

Attachments

• IMG_5408.jpeg
    IMG_5408.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
@Newbie Mel This video shows how to use it, just to make sure your technique is good. The receiving vessel always needs to be lower than the other, because gravity is necessary for this to work.

Also, I am a big fan of dreaming about wine making space! 😂🤣😂

I do a lot of mine in the kitchen. I mostly use 3 gallon carboys, and I split 6 gallon batches to fit. I also have a bunch of 1 gallon carboys, some 13 cup Mogan David wine jugs that fit the same #6 stopper as 1 gallon carboys, and finally, I use universal bungs turned upside down and use an airlock with 1.5 liter, 750 ml, and 375 ml bottles. So if I don't quite have 6 gallons and don't want to top off with a similar wine, I will rack down to a 3 gallon carboy and split the rest among smaller containers. I do have some 5 gallon carboys, but I can't lift those when they are full, so they stay in the laundry room where I age everything.

But .... we do have a space in the basement that we were planning to build out as a bar area with a sink. Then we realized there's not enough room to have the kind of bar with a counter and barstools. So the plans have shifted to making it my winery area instead, eventually. Until we win the lottery, and then we will add onto the house so that the basement will be expanded and I can have lots of room to make wine and age it! 🤣

Last edited:
I have used the full sized for years, and recently purchased the mini for gallons. If you're losing the siphon, you may have a crack in the plastic. The Fermtech ones I have are great, but the plastic is not high quality.

I also have the clip. Among other things, it can be used to hold the bottom of the cane off the bottom of the carboy. For the final racking, I typically leave 1 to 2 bottles worth in the carboy, so any fine sediment doesn't get sucked up. The extra wine is bottled separately and gets used first.

Sorry, I'm adding something to the OP.😁

I've collected 3.5 lbs of black raspberries so far and I'm really looking forward to the wine.

But this is the interesting thing - last year my wild blackberries were small and super mega ultra tart. Started harvesting this morning and this year they're big and juicy and mildly tart. The difference from one year to another is amazing!

I have both the full size and the mini. If I KNOW there is sediment I use the cap that comes with the siphons. This keeps the suction from picking up sediment. After several months of aging I won’t use the cap to get the tip as low as possible. You can still get as much of the clear wine as possible but if you see sediment getting close to the pickup, just raise the siphon off the liquid and everything stops immediately. If I missed it by a little and I can see the sediment in the tubing, then I don’t let it get to the clean carboy. If it looks clear it goes in.

I've collected 3.5 lbs of black raspberries so far and I'm really looking forward to the wine.

I’m much further north of you. Majority of my berries are green, maybe 1% are slightly red. I suspect another week or 2 before first picking.

Great news... I picked up a small half size freezer. So really expecting a banner year for free blackberries. There should be no limitations on how much I can pick.

Sorry, I'm adding something to the OP.😁

But this is the interesting thing - last year my wild blackberries were small and super mega ultra tart. Started harvesting this morning and this year they're big and juicy and mildly tart. The difference from one year to another is amazing!
Dang I’ve been waiting to hear from you 😂. Mine are mixed, small and big. Some a bit tart but others very sweet. Definitely different varieties. None the less, “I’m going for it” with the combo. This will be one of my first wines from my yard. I did a persimmon last year, some of which came from my yard (only one small tree produces) and the first batch sucked (my very first try at wine) but the second was very pleasant. Hoping to get more fruit this year 😊

Some a bit tart but others very sweet. Definitely different varieties.

I’ve noticed mine ripen at different times, the north side of the wild patch is maybe 2-3 weeks ahead of the south side patch. I usually pick every day, but sometimes it has to be every other day. I wonder if you let the berry ripen a day or so extra if that changes the flavor/ripeness?

I’ve got about 6 lbs so far, thought I had more but today when I weighed (I don’t have a kitchen scale so I weigh myself and then pick up my bags and weigh myself again). I figure a few more days of picking will get me up to 8 lbs to do a gallon batch of wine. Any thoughts on if that is a good quantity for a gallon?

I’ve noticed mine ripen at different times, the north side of the wild patch is maybe 2-3 weeks ahead of the south side patch. I usually pick every day, but sometimes it has to be every other day. I wonder if you let the berry ripen a day or so extra if that changes the flavor/ripeness?
I have been picking for two weeks. I try to get only the ripest ones, but sometimes that is hard to judge. If they don’t pull off easily I leave them. Looking forward to see how this works out. I was hoping to start this coming weekend, but then was reading about yeast starter and I don’t have any Goferm so I ordered that today. I’ll keep picking berries and hopefully have enough for a second batch 😊

NO!

In my opinion, I would pick and freeze the entire years harvest, then weigh each container of frozen berries.

The reason is freezing will help release more juice after thawing.
Second reason is once you know what your total harvest is you can plan for all the materials you will need.

Patience is not just for winemaking but also for harvesting.

NO!

In my opinion, I would pick and freeze the entire years harvest, then weigh each container of frozen berries.

The reason is freezing will help release more juice after thawing.
Second reason is once you know what your total harvest is you can plan for all the materials you will need.

Patience is not just for winemaking but also for harvesting.
I have been freezing them as I go 😊

Latest posts

Back