Anyone Growing Marquette Grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are flower clusters. You can leave them there for the time being and see what happens to them. A lot of times they don't pollinate enough to cause problems with the vine. Later when you remove the tubes, remove the few clusters that form now.

As always, thanks, Grapeman.

When I watered yesterday, I noticed a bunch of the vines are almost at the top of the tubes. Will be interesting to see what they turn into.

Bob

So I have 120 feet between posts approximately 18 vines at 6' spacing. I'm planning on doing 2 rows of Marquette grapes for a total of 36 plants. My vines from https://www.nevinesupply.com arrived. The vines look ok.

Grapes (1).JPG

Grapes (2).JPG

Grapes (3).JPG

My first 3 vines.

How much do you water in the first year? second? and so on? We are very dry and all the water from now until October will be from the drip line.

Last edited:
Nice setup, Gird. I'll let one of the experts respond to your question, but I know the soil needs to be very moist, especially during this time of the year. You'll probably be fine with the drip line.

That's also a cute vineyard worker!

I'm jealous you can use a post hole digger. I'm going to have to rent a Toro Dingo powered augur to do mine.

Good luck!

Bob

What are you going to use for intermediate posts? You will need something every 20-24 feet between the end posts. Sorry but I can't advise you on drip water to apply in a dry hot climate. Maybe Ibglowin can tell you how much he nneded the first year. Sorry things did not go well with the vine supplier. I won't make excuses for him.

I am putting 1G per vine per day right now. Our temps have been 91-93 this week. I am at ~6500ft EL. Vines are growing nicely and look happy, a little wilted right before the H2O kicks in but that seems fair, make em look for water just a bit.

Hi all,

I have 7' t post for the inner post. Will that work?

I know Al and grapeman already answer do you tred this, but I'm going to ask again. I planted the first 3 at 6 feet, should i plant at 7, 8 or 9? I have room.

Bob do you have any current picks?

Nate

I used t post for my inner post I put them about sixteen feet apart in the row. I also planted my vine eight feet apart with the rows ten feet apart

With you being in an arid climate, you can get by fine at 6 foot spacing. They will fill 8 feet fine eventually, so that will work also. It is really up to you.

Then i will stick with 6'. its hard to make decisions when you have no clue.

To give you an idea of how early these are - mine have started to change color already! Is there is Pinot Noir parentage in these grapes?

Question on 1X Vines - Accelerate Growth Process?

The Marquettes I planted were 1X vines. As can be seen in the following pictures, they are very vigorous and are at a height over four feet.

Do I need to wait two more years before attempting grape growth or can I do that next year (year two for my planting) as they are 1X to begin with?

I'm not trying to rush things (ok, maybe a little!) but I also don't want to wait another year if it's not necessary.

DSCN0685.jpg

Are these vine still in the grow tubes if so get the grow tubes off of them and start training them on a trellis system and you should wait three years from the time you planted them into the ground they are looking great and watch out for the rabbits they will chew on the young plants

Are these vine still in the grow tubes if so get the grow tubes off of them and start training them on a trellis system and you should wait three years from the time you planted them into the ground they are looking great and watch out for the rabbits they will chew on the young plants

Hmmm. The grow tubes instructions just say to remove before winter. I was going to leave them on until I get my trellis system in place no later than October.

Getting back to the 1X question, though: does the 1X size mean that I can start two years from now due to the size and root system of the 1X?

Thanks,
Bob

Did you just plant them this year if so I would wait two years starting with next spring then only let them produce 50 percent yield then the next year let them have a full crop. I live here in Nebraska and when they get above the grow tubes I take the tube off and tie the plants to an electric fence post or cane and let it grow up that until you can put it on the trellis system and start training the plant. I do this because it get to hot for the plant in the grow tube and can burn it and this way it has a chance to start to harden off for winter which get real cold out here.

Did you just plant them this year if so I would wait two years starting with next spring then only let them produce 50 percent yield then the next year let them have a full crop. I live here in Nebraska and when they get above the grow tubes I take the tube off and tie the plants to an electric fence post or cane and let it grow up that until you can put it on the trellis system and start training the plant. I do this because it get to hot for the plant in the grow tube and can burn it and this way it has a chance to start to harden off for winter which get real cold out here.

Sounds reasonable. What kind of trellis do you use? I'm thinking of the 4-arm Kniffen (two wire), but have also seen the Geneva double trellis.

Oh, yeah, I planted them this past late April.

Cheers!
Bob

I just use a two wire trellis system my marquettes are just three year old since I planted them so I only let them do fifty precent this year next year will be the first full crop that they will produce for me

Those vines are right on track for first crop at three years. Next spring you can cut them back to three buds and develop the trunk. With a good year you can also form the cordons on them. Then in year three you can take some crop. Youc can leave a few clusters next year to see how they taste. In the third spring, prune all the secondary shoots down to the cane (pre growth). Then let the shoots develop from the cordons. That will give two or three clusters per shoot for a moderate crop.

With all that said, I have Marquette in my systems trial on four training systems. The yields are approximately 3-4 tons on top wire cordon and VSP, 5 tons on the Scott Henry and approximately 8-10 tons on the Modified GDC I have developed. These are three year old Marquette vines. DO NOT EXPECT THAT KIND OF CROP, but this shows what they are capable of. More information to follow some day.

Latest posts

Back