Anyone Growing Marquette Grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in zone 6 that will be first part of April and flowering will be then in first part of May?

Retrain or not retrain?
I wish I had found this forum and thread when I planted in 2017. I have 42 Marquette vines and originally used three wire VSP. But after reading this thread and viewing how Rich, grapeman, has had great success with TWC and Mod GDC, is it possible to retrain my vines?
I have until next month to decide.
Here are a few current pictures-
IMG_1917.jpgIMG_1918.jpgIMG_1919.jpg

IMG_8020.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4537.JPG
    IMG_4537.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8019.jpg
    IMG_8019.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 11
is it possible to retrain my vines?

I moved two varieties from VSP up to TWC. I converted over the course of a few seasons, and usually converted half the vine first. Half way through, a lot of vines were VSP in one direction on the low wire, and TWC from the high wire in the other direction. I used the top catch wire for my TWC fruiting wire. Ultimately, this is about the only thing I don't like about the conversion. I would like to do some cleanup on that top wire someday.

I never removed the middle catch wires. These varieties are semi-upright, which is why I had them on VSP in the first place. The old catch wires help train the vine down in the summer. I tuck a few shoots behind the catch wires to hold them down.

I wouldn't bother converting if you are getting good yield, good chemistry and can manage the vigor adequately on VSP . My primary driver for converting was spring deer pressure, and the fact that my VSP was not controlling vigor adequately. I really needed 12-18 more inches of vertical space.

H

FYI - I went the other way from TWC to VSP for my Marquettes and Frontenacs. So vigorous they spill way over lanes between rows on TWC making it like a jungle tunnel. For the hobbyist, I think that VSP works so much better. Good luck

Thanks montanarick. This gives me something else to consider.

Thanks BigH. Thankfully we mainly get deer in our front yard. So far I have been able to control the vigor and my yields have been increasing every year.

What sort of yields are you obtaining Desert Wine?

I've only been harvesting for three years-
2017- planted
2018- vine development
2019- 61 lbs. only allowed 50% of grapes to remain being third year of growth
2020- 20 lbs. had a hard freeze in June, wiped out 2/3 of my grapes
2021- 181 lbs. best year so far
2022- ?? looking forward to see how the vines do this year

I've only been harvesting for three years-
2017- planted
2018- vine development
2019- 61 lbs. only allowed 50% of grapes to remain being third year of growth
2020- 20 lbs. had a hard freeze in June, wiped out 2/3 of my grapes
2021- 181 lbs. best year so far
2022- ?? looking forward to see how the vines do this year
Thank you for the info. In 2021 were you pruning to reduce yields, or just letting them go?

Thank you for the info. In 2021 were you pruning to reduce yields, or just letting them go?
Yes, definitely pruning to control yield and the vigorous growth of the Marquette vine.
But I've had very inconsistent yield vine to vine. Some producing over 8 lbs., others 1-2 lbs. My soil is poor, clay, and I live in a high desert region with lot's of wind. Used a post hole drill to go at least three feet deep to improve drainage and added some organic material to try to reduce compaction when I planted.

I’ve averaged 7 lbs per plant, but a couple plants produced 20 lbs each. I’m a lousy farmer, the plants could do much better. I’m pruning this year to try for 10 lbs per plant.
Would love to get 10 lbs. average.
How long have your vines been growing?
Do you have decent soil?

Curious what kind of yeast everyone has been using with their Marquette grapes?

For me, it depends on where the harvest pH lands. I use 71B if pH is below 3.1, and refer to the Scotts lab chart for hybrid varieties if pH is above that. I have split some batches half and half.

H

For me, it depends on where the harvest pH lands. I use 71B if pH is below 3.1, and refer to the Scotts lab chart for hybrid varieties if pH is above that. I have split some batches half and half.

Guess I should say why I do this. If my pH is low, I use 71B to metabolize some of the malic acid to bring the pH up. The intent is to ensure a successful MLF after primary fermentation. A MLF can fail if the bacteria are stressed by a low pH environment. I like to have the pH around 3.2 or higher before I start the MLF. All that jazz about fruity notes is secondary to me.

My must TA for Marquette is typically around 12, with 3-4 of that coming from malic acid.

H

Guess I should say why I do this. If my pH is low, I use 71B to metabolize some of the malic acid to bring the pH up. The intent is to ensure a successful MLF after primary fermentation. A MLF can fail if the bacteria are stressed by a low pH environment. I like to have the pH around 3.2 or higher before I start the MLF. All that jazz about fruity notes is secondary to me.

My must TA for Marquette is typically around 12, with 3-4 of that coming from malic acid.

H

Thanks for the advice BigH, it's appreciated.

Would love to get 10 lbs. average.
How long have your vines been growing?
Do you have decent soil?
I have very sandy deep soil, some sandy loamy soil on top. Some vines are 5 and some are 6 years. They are very vigorous. My first plantings were 30 miles east of where I am now and the soil was wet red clay, 8 years later they are still growing really well, Marquette seems to grow anywhere.

Latest posts

Back