Anyone Growing Marquette Grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listen to Al, let a few clusters grow on the second year. Best thing about it is that it lets you get an idea of when you will be harvesting the grapes. Of course every year varies, but you can learn a lot from those first clusters, it might even give you a clue as to when to protect them from the birds!!

Listen to Al, let a few clusters grow on the second year. Best thing about it is that it lets you get an idea of when you will be harvesting the grapes. Of course every year varies, but you can learn a lot from those first clusters, it might even give you a clue as to when to protect them from the birds!!

A vineyard north of us grew Marquette two years ago. My wife and I went up to buy a bottle and check out their operation. Sadly, they lost almost all of the Marquette grapes and didn't bottle. Subsequent to that, they installed a bird "screecher". They've had good results with it.

So now I'm toying with netting or a screecher. Would that be an overkill for my micro-vineyard?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I could always mount one of these nearby: :gb

Bob

The air cannons around here call the crows to feast in the sweet corn and tomatoes! They can also be quite disturbing to the neighbors.

I would just net the few you have. The bird calls are quite expensive.

Yeah but they sound cool!. Makes you feel like you're in a jungle or something. When I worked for a big box we had to install them to help keep the birds out. They only work on some species, not all.

I'll pass on the cannons. Heh heh!

Looks like netting it is. Question: It seems you drape the netting over both sides of the trellis, but can/do the birds get up underneath it?

Yeah but they sound cool!. Makes you feel like you're in a jungle or something. When I worked for a big box we had to install them to help keep the birds out. They only work on some species, not all.
The calls are species specific. They have a list of the birds each call takes care of. Around here they are effective for one or two years and then the birds ignore them.

If the netting isn't closed off birds will find their way into the grapes.

If the netting isn't closed off birds will find their way into the grapes.

That's what I wondered. So I would tie the two sides together underneath. Doesn't that mean that I would have to untie each time I need to prune, etc?

Regarding the bird caller, you buy the unit and then get a microprocessor chip with the distress sounds of the birds in your area. They sell a wide variety of chips with quite a few sounds you can choose from. The Tug Hill Vineyard is using one. I'll ask how it's working now that it's in the second season.

You don't install the netting until after veraison when the grapes become attractive to birds. Yes you do close the netting off.

The calls are very effective the first year and sometimes two. Then the birds seem to figure it out.

There is no foolproof protection and some require more work than others.

6 Marquette on order

Hi guys, I also am planting 6 Marquette vines when I get them in a few weeks. I also have 6 blu-x-vine shelters for them. I have a 20 feet by 8 feet piece of land for the vines in my garden. 2 rows, vines will be 6 feet apart, 3 per row. I also have my trellis up. I had the 12 ga. wire so I went for a 3 wire trellis system. Everything is in place just waiting on the vines.

Hi guys, I also am planting 6 Marquette vines when I get them in a few weeks. I also have 6 blu-x-vine shelters for them. I have a 20 feet by 8 feet piece of land for the vines in my garden. 2 rows, vines will be 6 feet apart, 3 per row. I also have my trellis up. I had the 12 ga. wire so I went for a 3 wire trellis system. Everything is in place just waiting on the vines.

Hey John!

Growing Marquette on Long Island, huh? I was out in my soon-to-be vineyard today, tending to the rows with backfilling more dirt around the vines. It was 34 degrees and snow flurries!

How about posting a picture of your setup, especially the trellis you put up. I'm still deciding on which type to use. It would be interesting to see yours.

BTW, what kind of vines are you getting? Mine came last week. I ordered 1x (one year plus) and they looked great. Each one had a load of roots and most were 2-3 feet long. The vines were about 12-18".

Good luck!

Bob

I prefer the plain 1 year vines as those with the long roots need pruning and the tops need pruning more.

You will need to harvest the Marquette early on Long Island. Alice Wise from the research station on Long Island said that last year they picked in mid August and that the vines were already past the right picking time. At least you should be able to get them to ripen easily.

My Vineyard

Johnspictures073.jpg
My vines are coming soon I hope from Midwest. Im from Westchester county, not to far from Long Island.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back