Anyone Growing Marquette Grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those vines are right on track for first crop at three years. Next spring you can cut them back to three buds and develop the trunk. With a good year you can also form the cordons on them. Then in year three you can take some crop. Youc can leave a few clusters next year to see how they taste. In the third spring, prune all the secondary shoots down to the cane (pre growth). Then let the shoots develop from the cordons. That will give two or three clusters per shoot for a moderate crop.

With all that said, I have Marquette in my systems trial on four training systems. The yields are approximately 3-4 tons on top wire cordon and VSP, 5 tons on the Scott Henry and approximately 8-10 tons on the Modified GDC I have developed. These are three year old Marquette vines. DO NOT EXPECT THAT KIND OF CROP, but this shows what they are capable of. More information to follow some day.

Thanks, Grapeman. Those yields seem phenomenal.

Holy Moly Batman, I mean Grapeman........

That is incredible!

The yields are approximately 3-4 tons on top wire cordon and VSP, 5 tons on the Scott Henry and approximately 8-10 tons on the Modified GDC I have developed. These are three year old Marquette vines. DO NOT EXPECT THAT KIND OF CROP, but this shows what they are capable of. More information to follow some day.

Tube Tops Off!

I removed the blue growth tubes this afternoon, with some difficulty due to the amount of growth above them. And found a couple of surprises: my first micro-crop of Marquette grapes.

DSCN0699.jpg

Nice trunk development, too, some very thick and a bunch are bifurcated.

Glad I removed the tubes, as the lower part of the vine was moist and not getting enough aeration.

DSCN0702.jpg

Trellis Question

I've got heavy gauge steel fence posts I'm considering for the trellis.

I put six of them in the ground yesterday. However, the top of the posts are 54" high rather than 72". I'm going to do the four-arm Kniffen style.

Can I set the bottom wire at 30" and the top wire at 54"? Or something else?

I'll also be using 4'x4' wooden posts and earth anchors at the row ends.

Thanks,

Bob

just got an email from a g-strands.com website they have a trellis wiring system set up that is worth a look

ps. No Mike i didnt say g string...so stop googling that...no wires there...just man traps

54" is way too short for a 4 arm-kniffen system and especially only 24" separation between the cordons. You would do well to use posts 6 feet out of the ground. Don't skimp on the trellis- it is the backbone of your crop.

54" is way too short for a 4 arm-kniffen system and especially only 24" separation between the cordons. You would do well to use posts 6 feet out of the ground. Don't skimp on the trellis- it is the backbone of your crop.

Thanks, Rich. I surmised as much but needed expert advice.

Al: g-strands looks interesting. Sent a note to them re prices, minimum order quantities, etc.

Thanks,

Bob

glad to help Bob

Mike, stop googling while working...they got you on a leash!

Planting a vineyard

I found this thread while looking for anything I can find about growing grapes. It has given me a ton of useful info. My wife and I are planning on planting an acre of Marquette's next spring and building a winery while the vines are maturing over the next few years.

You might get started early by checking the new thread started by Boyd. He has Marquette grapes for sale and it sounds like he is close by!

I'm not sure that I would put all my eggs in one basket I would look around at the different wineries in your area and see what they are growing and what kind of wine they are selling

What Wire Gauge Should be Used For Trellis?

I was going to order the new plastic wire that Al Fulchino gave a link to, but the spool length is way too much for what I need.

So now, I'm going to use the standard wire. Searched the forums, but found only one reference to 12 gauge.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Bob

hIGH tENSILE 12.5 GUAGE WIRE. Orchard Valley Supply has shorter than spool lengths available. Be sure to use high tensile.

Thanks, Rich. Sorry to hear about your rotten grapes. Hopefully next year will give you a bountiful harvest. Your winery equipment looks great, though!

Bob

Starting to Look Like a Vineyard

I "planted" twenty 4x4"x8' posts the last two weeks and will be adding the end-post anchor systems. The trellis wire and accessories are on order. Some of the vines are five feet high. Photo update below:

DSCN0764.jpg

They are on a two-way slope. All the posts are plumb, but don't look it in the photo!

Will be asking some questions regarding pruning next...

Pruning Questions

Rich (Grapeman), I noticed in your thread that your vines appear to have double trunks. Mine also have a bunch with two trunks.

Regarding pruning, I thought I read somewhere to leave the doubles of the first year until the following Spring pruning. That way, if one gets destroyed, you still have one trunk. Is there any reason not to just leave the doubles permanently?

Also, you mentioned pruning mine back to three buds or so. Is the count starting from the ground up or from the bottom wire on my 4-arm Kniffen?

And I should wait until early next Spring to do the pruning?

Seems pruning is the most confusing and difficult part of the growing process for beginners.

Thanks!

Bob

Bob - Your grapes look great.

Grapeman - Are you willing to share pics of the modified GDC that you developed?

Latest posts

Back