making wine from Marquette grapes

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Reaction score
I blend mine as follows. Marquette 20% Petite pearl 45% and Verona35%. I'm no expert but all who try it rave how much they like this wine. I'm also happy.
Ok, good to know. I also have Verona & Petite Pearl planted, so I will definitely try this!

wood1954

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Update on 2020 vintage. I had a bottle sitting among the carboys since the fall and opened it for dinner tonight. Very surprised at how much better it is now. Well balanced still a little thin but tasty and easy drinking, 2020 wasn’t a bust after all. It’s amazing the magic that happens in the bottle.

montanarick

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. our 2017 has finally come of age - patience really is a virtue

JWT_Can

Junior
Reaction score
During aging have you found the wine to lose tannins and get thinner than at bottling? Curious what changes you notice as the wine develops in the bottle.

Vern

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
During aging have you found the wine to lose tannins and get thinner than at bottling? Curious what changes you notice as the wine develops in the bottle.
I also made some Marquette wine in 2017. I'm not sure if the tannins changed, but now the wine is very good.

montanarick

Reaction score
Just gets more mature. nicer mouthfeel and smoother finish. no real perceptible change to tannins that are obvious but then I didn't overbake with oak

Steve Wargo

Enthusiast DIYer
Reaction score
I thought, the Marquette was more of a Nouveau Style wine. This based on my experience as to how early some wineries begin to serve their Marquette wine. That, usually the summer season following the previous year's fall harvest. I drank the 2018 Marquette wine in the fall of 2019. It was good. Definitely Nouveau Style. Opened a Marquette 2018 in the fall of 2020. It improved a little bit, but not as expected. There is one bottle left of 2018 Marquette in my cellar(basement). Aging it longer might improve its profile. Maybe it's a grape wine that needs the full three years to develop, as are many other well-known grape wines. Marquette may be a Nouveau Style wine and one that improves with age. I dunno I'm still reading and experimenting with the grape. Time will tell.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
I thought, the Marquette was more of a Nouveau Style wine. This based on my experience as to how early some wineries begin to serve their Marquette wine. That, usually the summer season following the previous year's fall harvest. I drank the 2018 Marquette wine in the fall of 2019. It was good. Definitely Nouveau Style. Opened a Marquette 2018 in the fall of 2020. It improved a little bit, but not as expected. There is one bottle left of 2018 Marquette in my cellar(basement). Aging it longer might improve its profile. Maybe it's a grape wine that needs the full three years to develop, as are many other well-known grape wines. Marquette may be a Nouveau Style wine and one that improves with age. I dunno I'm still reading and experimenting with the grape. Time will tell.
Do you mean the wines you sampled were prepared by carbonic maceration, rather than yeast-based alcoholic fermentation?

Steve Wargo

Enthusiast DIYer
Reaction score
Do you mean the wines you sampled were prepared by carbonic maceration, rather than yeast-based alcoholic fermentation?
The wine example in my original post was produced using yeast fermentation, bottled, and served within 5 - 6 months. Young and fruity.

Last edited:

Latest posts