Quantcast

making wine from Marquette grapes

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

wood1954

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Too bad about the Marquette, nice that you have two backups. How much tannin did you get from the barrel? My Marquette this year has no tannin

VillaVino

Reaction score
Wood, I guess I don’t know the answer to that or know how to measure the tanin level. Kinda new to the finer elements of wine making. Just started measuring pH and TA last year. Anyway, the barrel aging has been interesting.

wood1954

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Villa, you can measur the tannins by seeing how dry your mouth feels when you swish wine in your mouth. Swish a little wine and then drag your tongue across the roof of your mouth you should feel the tannins

VillaVino

Reaction score
Oh, that way. I thought I was missing out on some new piece of lab equipment that came out recently. 🍷
Three big days coming up. Will be harvesting ~500 Sabrevois tomorrow, 350 Brianna and Louise Swensons on Friday and 300 Prairie Stars on Saturday. Winery threw me for a loop and asked to get all reds one day and all whites the next. The Saturday harvest is for the home cellar where we have a nice group to help and process the grapes through the destemmer and bladder press. What little Marquette’s I got are fermenting Very nicely. I’ll press them on Saturday as well.

Rob Kneeland

Junior
Reaction score
So I planted some Marquette having never tasted a Marquette wine. Thought it might be prudent to taste some before tripling the size of my vineyard. Turns out there's a small vineyard 10 kms from me and they sell a 2017 Marquette. And WOW!! not what I expected. Bold and full bodied. I love Cabs and this stands up to them. They barrel for 2 years, not sure that's the magic but I am IN. If I can come close to that I will be a happy camper. I am in Ontario well out of wine country. Excited!

JWT_Can

Junior
Reaction score
Anyone try an EM in Marquette to increase tannin levels? I just pitched yeast on a baco noir and am considering doing this. Will also add oak during ML fermentation to try and get more structure.

wood1954

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s much tannin in Marquette. My grapes were exposed to the sun all summer due to defoliation and still very little tannin. However I use Avante yeast which might have something to do with it. I added 50 grams of tannin at crush and there’s none left now.

Latest posts