WineXpert WOOT! Started my first batch.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not rack into primary until ready to bottle. Primaries will expose your wine to a lot of air and that is why we start fermenting in them. After primry fermentation is done we dont want to expose our wine to any ore air than need be.

If you aren't going to bottle it immediately and don't have a spare carboy to rack into, rack in the bucket first. Rinse out and clean the carboy and then rack back to the carboy. Assuming you don't loose much volume, it should be OK, but if it is down much, top off with a bottle of commercial wine of a similar type.

No fair Wade- You hit the post button quicker!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: appleman

Wade:

So when I want to bottle, just rack into primary and then right away bottle?

Just want to make sure im clear.

Yes, thats fine. You dont want it in the primary for to long but bottling is fine and makes it much easier if you have the spigot otherwise its not worth racking into there.

When you guys are about to cork, how do you prepare your corks? Quick dip in sanitizing solution, or do you let them soak for awhile then cork em?

Thanks.

Theoretically you are not supposed to soak or dip them, try dry inserting them 1st and if you are having a lot of trouble then you could quickly soak them in a k-meta solution that is room temp for a minute or 2. Ifyou are using a dble lvr. hand corker you might need to this otherwise you dont. The floor corkers do not need the corks soaked and will actually cause the corks to be harder to get out of the bottle later on.

Using the double lever corker I find I have to soak the corks in K-meta solution for 3 - 4 minutes before they will seat all the way in. Have not had a problem with removal yet. I think my next order will include a Portuguese floor corker.

Thanks guys. I just ordered capsules from George. He told me he found holding the bottle over a tea kettle to be efficient, how about you guys?

Before I got my heat gun I used a pan of boiling wwater on the stove. Use a spoon or knife to hold the shrink cap on the bottle when you invert it to dip the cap into the boiling water.

Can i put those on as soon as I cork or should I wait three days, put the caps on then lay them down to age?

Scubaman2151 said:
When you guys are about to cork, how do you prepare your corks? Quick dip in sanitizing solution, or do you let them soak for awhile then cork em?

Thanks.

The less you handle the corks the better and any more than a quick rinse for sanitizing is unnecessary. Shrinks can be applied right after corking without any issues.

BTW: One of my first tasks as the "Technical Writer" for FineVineWines is to write an article on cork handling, preparation and making a cork humidor and this will be published in the November Newsletter.Edited by: masta

When you put the caps on, if you dip them into boiling water, doesnt water get under the cap? Cant that mold?

The shrink caps have small holes in them so any water will drain out. They are for looks only and do not seal the top of the bottle.

I use the little tool for holding the cap on. I descend slowly into the boiling water and the cap shrinks in advance of the water. Works like a charm.

thanks guys, i will be bottling and adding the caps next weekend.

The wine is coming along great, it is a nice golden straw color.

winestuff10.jpg

Wine has cleared pretty good, next weekend I will bottle it all. :). Thanks for all the help with this kit guys, couldnt have done it without you.

Scuba

P.S. sorry its sideways.Edited by: Scubaman2151

Latest posts

Back