WineXpert WOOT! Started my first batch.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scuba, ordered my kit a few minutes ago. Hope to get it this weekend. I am starting with the IM White Zin.
I have been paying close attention to all your questions and concerns.
Sounds as if things are going well with your wine. Love the pictures!
Let us know what red you decide on.
smiley36.gif

uavwmn

Is this the W.E Exotic Fruit, do you like sweet wines? If not, watch out how much of the F-pack you add as this is 1 of the sweeter I.M kits. It is very nice though as it was 1 of my first kits.

uavwmn good luck, take lots of pics and let us know how it goes.

Wade:
Thanks for the help, I dont mind sweet wines at all, but ill watch as I add it in. Thanks.

Scuba, I have never tried the Kiwi/Pear so dont know if this 1's a sweet 1. Some of these I.M.'s ar very sweet and some are really nice. My friend makes these kits to and we exchange wines often so I have tried almost evey 1 of these kits.

Should have my kit in 72hr, 45 min, 13 sec. hahaha
But who is counting?

OMG......I am doing the same thing!! lol
Can you imagine how bad it will be once I actually get the kit?
I almost have my neighbor hooked also. He wants to come over and watch the process to determine if he wants to "get hooked".

There's nothing quite like watching the progress of an anticipated package!
smiley32.gif
Poor Bert sent me off to Texas over a week ago and I'm finally home with his kits! I guess THAT is why he wanted to know where I was so he could follow my progress on the map!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: PolishWineP

And just why wasn't Poor Bert with you to go get them? Probably had to stay home and tend to the Kingdom. What kinds did you pick up for him?

Poor Bert was in the tractor digging sugar beets so all y'all can make more wines!
smiley36.gif

I brought home an Australian Riverland Reserve, Chianti with raisins, Castel del Papa and an Orange Chocoate Port. I also brought home 2 1/2 cases of traded wines. I can't open a single one of them without him. I think some may be showcased in the Wine of the Week!

Hmmm, there is condensation on the neck of my carboy, not a lot but little droplets of mosture. And there are bubbles on the surface of the wine, this is already the 13th day into secondary fermentaion, i would have thought fermetation would be over by now. I was hoping to start the stabilization on sunday.

It is quite possible and most likely the fermentation is complete (if room temp is 70-75) and the bubbles you are seeing is the dissolved CO2 coming out of solution on it's own. This is normal and the only way to test to see if it ready to degas and stabilize is proper, multiple daySG readings as noted in the instructions.

Using visual indications of the wine and or airlock to track progress of fermentation in a primary or secondary can be quite deceiving at times! It is best to rely on your SG readings along with plenty of patience.

Will the wine be ok if I keep removing the bung everyday to check the SG, doesnt oxygen get in there?

If you haven't degassed. There still should be CO2 come off of your wine. Your wineshould be alright.

swillologist said:
If you haven't degassed. There still should be CO2 come off of your wine. Your wineshould be alright.

A gentle rocking of the carboy will also cause some CO2 to come out of solution and displace the air in the head space.

Thanks guys, ill check on friday, saturday and if both of those look good, ill be clearing on sunday.

Ok, so after 14 days of the wine being in secondary fermentation I tested the SG.

It was .998-1.000, much closer to 1.000 though. This seems high to me because of how long it has been in the secondary.

Also, I tasted a very small amount of it, and it didnt taste very good.

What do you guys think about the SG? If it is 1.000 on Saturday and 1.000 on sunday is it ok to add the rest of the chemicals to clear?

Latest posts

Back