WineXpert WOOT! Started my first batch.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Today at around 3:45pm, the primary fermentor was sitting in the corner waiting for fermantation to begin. I am making the kiwi pear island mist and cant wait to watch this along its route.

About the airlock:

Should i put the cap on it? It seems that the plastic piece comes up and bumbs the cap if I leave it on.

Thanks,

ScubaEdited by: Scubaman2151

The cap should be on. It prevents any creepy crawlies from getting in there. There is enough room fro gas to escape and with the k-meta solution in there no air can get in. There is enough air in the primary for the yeast to do its thing and you can peak in from time to time to see the progress of your batch while its in the primary as air getting to your wine at this point is actally good unlike after you transfer it to glass carboy.

Edited by: wade

Thanks for the info, i will make sure to give it some air every day when I check the SG and the temp :).

Scuba

Ha, we have you hooked now. Starting that first batch is all we needed. Your gonna be like a junkie in our hands now.
smiley36.gif

Congrats. Now, remember to read the directions before each step and follow them. The most important is to keep an eye on the SG and transfer to a carboy. After that the steps are more forgiving.

I always feel it is important for a newbie to go by the book the first few batches though. You will soon learn the in's and outs of the kit wines.

Thanks for the info, ill try and take pics this time when racking and whatnot.junkie Hook, line, and sinker.......

Well I went down to check to see how my wine is coming along. It has now been around 24-28 hours since it was started, fermenation is coming along nicely, the airlock bubbles every 15-30 seconds so we are getting there.

However, when I took the lid off there was a ton of condensation on top of the lid, tasted sugary so im guessing that is just part of the wine that evaported to the top?

Also when the lid came off it sounded as if the wine was sizzeling, but when i looked closer there was a ton of bubbles floating to the surface then popping so I think the noise was the bubbles.

I left the thermometer in the wine, is that ok?

Temp SG
Day 1 77*1.048
Day 2 72* 1.048

And some pics:
P1010042.jpg

Im soaking some bottles getting ready to remove the labels.

P1010041.jpg

Drying these bottles after removing all labels and cleaning.

Can anyone tell me what bottle that is standing up?

It has a square bottom to it with the indent on the bottom. Bottle on the far right is the same type of bottle.

Thanks guys for all your help, would not be at this point without these forums.

ScubaEdited by: Scubaman2151

I cant say what it is but those bottles are very nice. How I would love to score 30 of those to bottle a special batch. Theyd sit really nice on my wine racks to!
Yes you can leave the thermometer in there and it will definitely sound like sizzling. Everything is exactly as should be!
Edited by: wade

I have some big 1.5 liter bottles if you want them, also If I get any extra Ill let your know.

I typically do not use 1.5's although I left some room in my wine cellar to accommodate them if for some reason I change my mind. I appreciate the notion though. Besides. your going to be needing them when the production really starts and you have 60 gallons fermenting.

Believe me, you start finding places. I spent $6000 to fix my basement as it used to get flooded every time it rains so that I could build a wine making room and wine cellar down there. I will use he remaining area down there to build our master bedroom down here so that both of my kids are on 1 level and Ill be able to open up our kitchen more and put in an island.

Thanks.

Day 3 - Temp - 71*, SG 1.040-1.042 (it was pretty darn close.)

Bubbling on the inside has seemed to slow down, but still going along pretty well.

Day 4 - Temp 73* SG - 1.028-1.030

SG seems to be dropping pretty fast, is it on the right track?

Scuba

Scub - Looking good. Nice active fermentation. Some go faster than others.

In Brazil, where they run most cars on ethanol (lots of sugar cane, very little oil), they have developed strains of yeast that will take a sugar solution to 15% abv in about 8 hours. Then they distill it up to 90% ethanol, add 5% gasoline to keep people from drinking it, and fuel cars with it.

Thanks Peter.

Day 5 - 74* 1.018-1.020

Put a fan on it to help keep it a little cooler.

If I dont rack untill friday is that ok?

I started my first kit wine batch on Sunday, Sept. 9th. I should have done my first rack on Saturday or Sunday this past weekend but had to wait till Monday, Sept. 17th and it doesn't seem to worse for the wear.

I think you'll be okay if you have to wait till Friday to rack.

Bovine

Scubaman2151 said:
Thanks Peter.

Day 5 - 74* 1.018-1.020

Put a fan on it to help keep it a little cooler.

If I dont rack untill friday is that ok?
You should be okay with that. It's amazing what wines will tollerate.
smiley32.gif

Thanks guys. the kit instructions say that you should add the other packets once the SG gets below .996, that should be within a few days if I am not mistaken, seems a little quick to me?

Latest posts

Back