WineXpert WOOT! Started my first batch.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to rush into stabilizing with the other packets (K-meta and K-sorbate) This will only cause issues with proper degassing
smiley7.gif
so transfer your batch into the secondary and wait the 10 days. This will guarantee the fermentation is complete and also allow the wine to start to degas on it's own if the fermentation is complete sooner. Leaving the carboy closed with an airlock will prevent any issues with the wine so no need to test again until day 10.

Just relax and plan the next batch!
smiley4.gif

Whew, good. thanks for the info masta, this time when racking ill take some pics for you guys.

Just make sure you degas well before adding clarifier or it will not clear well and when degassing try not to introduce to much air by causing a vortex in the carboy. Keep switching direction with the drill mounted stirrer.

Thanks,

Also the fermentor is starting to get pretty warm, not about 77*, whats the best way to keep it cool, it is already in the basement.

WOW, Scuba, sounds like the fun has begun!! Love the pictures!! Cannot wait to order my kit and start. Priorities first.......new clothes dryer. hahaha

I hope in Oct to be able to order my first kit.

I am following closely your process, hoping mine will follow suit.

Nice bottles!!

Enjoy!!!
Uavwmn

Scubaman2151 said:
Thanks,

Also the fermentor is starting to get pretty warm, not about 77*, whats the best way to keep it cool, it is already in the basement.

If the basement temperature isin the range of 65-75 degrees you are fine. The fermentation is exothermic and creates it's own heat so it is quite common for the temperature of the batch itself to rise 5-8 degrees during the most active part of the fermentation.As the fermentation slows asin your case the temperature willgradually fall back closeto the ambientroom temp.

Typically fermentation of grape juice speeds up with an increase of temperature. This is the reason for the max room temp of 75 degrees since a higher temp could cause the fermentation to be more active and in turn create more heat and then the higher tempmakes the fermentation speed up and so on..... This cycle could push the temperature so high it causes problems with the yeast and large amount of hydrogen sulfide produced.
smiley21.gif

Thanks,

the temp of the wine has been running about 2-3 degree hotter then the room temp, and the room temp this morning was 75*, I put a fan on it for a little while and the air temp dropped down to about 73* and as far as I can tell stayed there for most of the day.

Should rack tomorrow morning.

Hello Gang,

Woke up this morning and tested the wine once more.

Day 7 - 77* SG 1.050-1.080

Perfect range.

So I racked it.

Winestuff.jpg

Carboy after being cleaned and sanitized waiting to be filled.

Winestuff1.jpg

Winestuff2.jpg

Wine in primary fermentor, about to rack. (2 pics above this)

Winestuff3.jpg

Starting to rack.

Winestuff4.jpg

Almost there....

Winestuff5.jpg

Little bit more....

Winestuff6.jpg

Whew, all the way done. Carboy on shelf with airlock in to let it start secondary fermentation.

Winestuff7.jpg

Lees left behind in bucket.

Winestuff9.jpg

This was taken about 5 hours after racking was done, lees havestarted to settle and the wine is much clearing now then when we racked.

Is the wine high enough to the top of the carboy? Or should I have added more?

Comments?

Suggestions?

Thanks guys,

Scuba

Edited by: Scubaman2151

Excellent job and everything looks perfect....now you can look at it but don't touch for 10 days and then move on to step #3.
smiley20.gif

Coming along nicely with the secondary. Wine has cleared quite a bit, you can see through it entirely, about 1"-1 1/2" of lees on the bottom of the carboy.

It says to wait 10 days before you check SG to stabilize it. However, I am not able to stabilize for another 2 weeks or so. Is that OK? How long can it stay in secondary fermentation?

wine2-1.jpg

wine21.jpg

Lees on bottom^Edited by: Scubaman2151

Looks nice Scuba, You will be fine but dont push it to much beyond that. Another trick is after you add the fining agent to tilt the carboy with a wedge so that when you go to rack it off you can put the racking cane in the other side and not pull any lees up. As clear as it is its a shame you will be stirring it all up.

wade said:
As clear as it is its a shame you will be stirring it all up.

True^ lol.

I have the auto siphon. How exactly do I use this? The paper work recommends to just put the bottom of it right into the lees and start sucking. It said it will be cloudy for about half a cup, then it should clear and you should be getting clear wine. Could I just use the auto siphon even if the carboy is tilted? Also, whats the best way to get the auto siphon started. it seems you just put the tube on the siphon, pull up and the liquid comes out.

Thanks.

Scuba

It works really easy and can be put on the clear side if you use Wade's suggestion. Attach the hose, push the center tube to the bottom and just pull up part way and push back down, and it starts the juices a flowing. When you get to the bottom if it stops too quick, just use it like a bicycle pump, pushing it in and out and you can get most of the rest out. Just don't do that near the lees if you don't want them in it.

Are you bottling next or racking to a clean carboy and aging. If you are bottling, either save the dirty bottles for topping off a future wine or just drink them yourself. OR
smiley36.gif
, drink in the dark!

I'm not in a big hurry to bottle, and this is my only carboy. So if I was to rack, I would need to rack into the primary, clean the carboy, and then rack back into there. I'm not against that, it is fine with me. How long could I let the wine bulk age in the carboy? I was thinking that if I let it bulk age in their I would try and bottle sometime around late November, or first week of December so that it would be ready for X-Mas.

If you want to drink a bottle that early which I do understand, bottle it, dont bulk it. Wine will age faster as it actually can breath a very little bit throught the cork. Another reason that you would want to bottle now is that after bottling there is a time that the wine is stressed from all the movement from carboy to bottle. This is called bottle shock and it lasts from 1 week t 1 1/2 months but that 1's rare. Its typically in this stage for a max of 2 weeks. Just remember that this is a little early even though the instructions say ready to bottle and drink. What are you gonna try next.

Edited by: wade

Well, I am having trouble deciding on what to make next. I need a red wine that will go well with either a roast beef or pasta dish. Do you know of a decent one? Thanks for the help on the aging thing, I was only going to give about 10-15 bottles out for x-mas, the rest can age for awhile longer. How long can this wine age for max?

Thanks.

This is an early drinking wine despite what I posted before. I try and get people to get used to bulking for a little while. Kind of lost track what you had going and this one is an Island mist so I would not keep it past 1 1/2 years and thats probably pushing it I would drink it all within a year as it will probably start the downhill run from there. This is because of the very low abv in this wine and the fact that there are really no tannins to protect it either.

Latest posts

Back