About to attempt my first wine batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering about the yeast. So far, from what I have read the suggestion is to add it to water first. But the majority of videos I have watched the person just sprinkles it on.

Either way will work. It is optimal if one properly rehydrates the yeast according to the instructions. However, there is a danger of killing the yeasties if you do this step incorrectly. (E.g., water too hot, proof too long...) I believe as a result, kit makers and others suggest that you just sprinkle the yeast on the surface.

Trust me, the yeast fill figure out what to do!

Not exactly. My day job is IT, I'm a project manager, business/technical analyst, developer, and (occasionally) tech writer. That said, I have 30+ years experience in teaching computer skills to non-IT people, many of which have trouble wrapping their heads around technical concepts that are far removed from their day jobs. I developed the ability to write clear instruction from the POV of a non-technical audience. Looks like it paid off in ways I didn't expect!

;)

My eldest is ready to bottle his first wine, a Shiraz kit. He made a few minor mistakes along the way, which proves that while he's helped me for years, until you're doing it yourself, some things just don't sink in. If anything, this makes me more cognizant of how much jargon experienced winemakers do not realize we are using.
Winemaker81, Aha, as I expected you are a teacher "teaching computer skills to non-IT people". That said, can I lean on your expertise to show me how I can post pictures to this site? I am about a "non-IT" as they come, but capable of learning. If you can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks........Dizzy

my nephew has help me for a few years, he's getting strawberries and peaches to do his own wines, i got several extra new premium italian carboys, so i told him he could use all my equipment and i'd watch him, but he'll be doing the whole ball of wax, lock stock an barrel,
dawg
Dawg, your nephew is lucky to have you, an experienced fruit winemaker, to show him the subtleties of the process. Wish I was your nephew! (Might be difficult since I'm a girl) LOL

That sounds like a good way to teach.

The way I teach someone a practical skill is in three steps:
-First time: I do everything, and I tell you what I am doing and why.
-Second time: You do it, but I tell you what to do next and why.
-Third time: You do it, and before you take the next step, you tell me what you are going to do next. I will say as little as possible. (Although you guys know me, I cannot keep all that quiet during step 3! :) )
Sounds like an excellent teaching strategy to me!............................Dizzy

The way I teach someone a practical skill is in three steps:
-Second time: You do it, but I tell you what to do next and why.
-Third time: You do it, and before you take the next step, you tell me what you are going to do next. I will say as little as possible. (Although you guys know me, I cannot keep all that quiet during step 3! :) )
That is awesome! I think I kind of do that with my kids, except for me it's more like:
-Second time: I do everything, and I tell you what I am doing and why.
-Third time: You do it, but I tell you what to do next and why you're doing it wrong.
-Fourth time: You do it, and before you take the next step, you tell me what you are going to do next, and I tell you why you are doing it wrong.
Hahaha. Just kidding. I like to think I'm more like the former than the latter!

That is awesome! I think I kind of do that with my kids, except for me it's more like:
-Second time: I do everything, and I tell you what I am doing and why.
-Third time: You do it, but I tell you what to do next and why you're doing it wrong.
-Fourth time: You do it, and before you take the next step, you tell me what you are going to do next, and I tell you why you are doing it wrong.
Hahaha. Just kidding. I like to think I'm more like the former than the latter!

Yeah, I think what I said was the "Platonic ideal" and what you said is the actual reality!

@DizzyIzzy, when creating a post, look in the tool bar for what looks (sort of) like a landscape picture:

toolbar 1.png

Click that and an upload box will appear. There is an upload button, but it's not working for me (I'm using Vivaldi, a Chrome clone, and I've found some things don't always work), but you can drag a graphics file onto the area:

toolbar 2.png

If the picture is large, I suggest re-scaling it to make it smaller. The forum software will post a thumbnail or full size, nothing in between.

I haven’t posted many pictures, but when I tried to resize them they got rotated 90°. I can’t remember now if they were landscape or portrait, but full size was fine. (iPhone 7, iOS 13.5, Safari). Any ideas?
Sorry, I should probably put that in a different thread. It just reminded me when I read it here.

Latest posts

Back